Convert Taurus mag release to Beretta?

Walt Sherrill

What is your intent -- to use Beretta Mags instead of Taurus mags (because they're easier to find, or cheaper?)

Are the notches/slots in the two mags in the same position? If not, there's not much chance of making it happen.

Fishbed77

I assume those new holes would need to be lower on the mag as well, otherwise it will snag on the original holes every time you insert the mag.

Walt Sherrill

I assume those new holes would need to be lower on the mag as well, otherwise it will snag on the original holes every time you insert the mag.

New Lower holes is worse. Then you've got to get past the higher notch when loading the mag or dropping it.

If the new opening ares are higher (nearer the top and away from the "stock" slots), or just a bit higher, you might be able to make them work. But, if the new openings are just a little lower, you'll probably be S-O-L.

That said, cutting openings in the mag body that are precise enough to properly engage the mag release and still hold the mag in the proper position is easier said than done.

Generally speaking, if the mags don't work in their original form (i.e., easily lock into place and feed rounds when the slide is cycled) it's very difficult to make them work with modification.

Last edited:

seeker_two

I think the OP is asking if the Taurus will accept the mag catch part from a Beretta so it will use Beretta mags without modification to the mags.

I've heard it was possible, but you'd have to fit it to the frame. I don't know the details, though.

iraiam

I tried this some years ago on an early 1990's Taurus PT92, the Beretta part would not fit.

They did used to make magazines that would work in both the Taurus and Beretta, I have several. below is an example. I can't say if the newer Taurus PT92 has the same thing.

018_zps23084510.jpg

At one time I was toying with the idea of modifying the existing Taurus magazine catch to fit the thinner slot in the Beretta magazines, but I wound up finding several Taurus/Beretta magazines instead.

Pico

PT 92 mags

I say just stick with quality PT 92 mags. If there is one chance in 1000 the Beretta mag will not work right it's not worth it. Also you may make it where neither mag will work.

Does anybody think Taurus flubbed it? They could have made their pistol use Beretta mags and sold more units IMHO.

Pico