Conversion report

garryc

I converted my CMMG M-4 to a Windham Varmint Exterminator barrel. I bought the kit with the free float handguard. I put an A-2 stock kit on it. Total cost from Windham was $445. I put a Bushnell 4-18 AR 223 scope on top. I already had a two stage target trigger in the lower.

I fired 55 grain V-max bullets ahead of 26.5 grains of Varget and also 26.8 grains of CFE 223. I matched headstamps and weighed the brass to +/- .5 grains.Firing from the bench the 1st 5 shot group went .602x.305 horizontal. I measured the location and made one adjustment to the scope. The next group went .498x.358. All groups are 100 yards fired from a bench rest.

Then I posted 15 toot TQ-40 NRA BB gun targets ( 3/4" black). I used the 300 yard dot as not to destroy my sight picture. I cranked the scope up to 18x but had to back it down some so I could get a sight picture I liked. I fired 4 groups of 5 and all were smaller than the size of that dot.

I think this is one of the best buys I've made in a long time.

That is what I planned. Since I bought a Ruger AR-556 I no longer needed the CMMG. I don't really need several like rifles, just one good one of different types.

P71pilot

Sounds like a tack driver. Nice results.

I don't like ARs but I would settle for a .30 caliber example or bigger of a piston driven type