Conversion cylinder firing pins

PAdutchman

I have two conversion cylinders, an R&D and a Kirst, for my 1860 Pietta colts. Does anyone know where I might be able to get replacement firing pins? I dressed then up yesterday removing the mushroom head and they are fine, but I know down the line I will have to replace them and I cannot find anything on the web. Thanks!

PAdutchman

Thanks everyone for replying. It turns out both are R&D cylinders. I contacted The Smith Shop and he has replacement pins for sale. Thanks again!

ClemBert

On the R&D cylinder it looks like there is a collar that the firing pin sits in and that you use a special tool to unscrew the collar. Where would one go to get that tool?

On the Kirst cylinder how would one go about replacing that firing pin? There isn't a collar around the firing pin like the R&D cylinders.

BTW, what does a set of 6 replacement firing pins cost?

Newton24b

if you are really curious on how these two systems work, simply go to google patents website,and search for them. youll get complete cross sections and how it all goes together. all you WONT get is dimensions on the drawings.

taurusbob

I ordered 6 firing pins for my R&D today from The Smith Shop. Great guy to talk to and deal with, I asked about a special tool to get the old firing pins out. He told me to get a screwdriver and cut a U in the middle of it. I did and it is working great for me. Here are pictures of it. $7.00 for one, great price. Hope the pictures help you.

Bob

Attachments

• SANY0398.jpg
    SANY0398.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 85
  • SANY0409.jpg
    SANY0409.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 69

ClemBert

taurusbob said:
I ordered 6 firing pins for my R&D today from The Smith Shop. Great guy to talk to and deal with, I asked about a special tool to get the old firing pins out. He told me to get a screwdriver and cut a U in the middle of it. I did and it is working great for me. Here are pictures of it. $7.00 for one, great price. Hope the pictures help you.

Thanks Bob! Wow, $7 x 6 = $42 for a set of firing pins? :eek:

Anyone know how to change the firing pin on a Kirst cylinder?