conversion barrel POI off by a bunch

HighValleyRanch

Long story short, bought a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for my Shield 1.0

Went out to the range and the POI is off by 2" at 7 yards. To me that is unacceptable, because being a triangular difference, it will only get worse at the distance increases. Took slow shots with the sights aligned through the shot, and still way off to the left.

Shot it with the original .40 barrel, two other guns and everything else was dead center, so I know it was the dang barrel.

Sucks, so I pretty much wasted my money on this project.
Wanted to have a 9mm, .40 and .357 sig combo.
Won't be buying the .357 sig barrel now.

FrankenMauser

Um. It isn't a race gun. You can't expect perfect POI matching when switching a major component like a friggin' barrel (for another cartridge!) in a $350 plastic pistol.

Sounds like it is within tolerance to me.

Point of reference:
The DOJ duty handgun evaluation requires 5 rounds in 4", at 25 yards.
However, they fire six rounds - one into the backstop, and then five on target. There is no requirement for point of impact or 'scoring' targets. Nor is the test to be timed. Group size is what matters and what live fire evaluation is geared toward, not how well the sights are adjusted.

HighValleyRanch

I'd prefer not to name the company by name because it might just be an honest FU.
I let them know I wasn't happy about it, and that's about all I could do.
If you research aftermarket conversion barrels for a Shield, you can find them. I think they might be the only one making them.
If KKM or Stormlake made one I would buy it.

I've had many other after market barrels from many various guns, and never had this big a problem. Had to hold the front sight right over to the right side of the rear notch in order to center the impact. I could drive the rear sight, but then it would not be centered for the .40 barrel.

Anyone make an adjustable rear sight for the Shield?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I don't think that's very surprising.

I have a gun that I have a couple of different barrels for. I replaced the fixed sights with adjustable ones because I expected that the point of aim would be different with different barrels installed.

If you can't find adjustable sights for your gun, another option is to split the difference with the sight adjustment. Then you'd only be 1" off no matter which barrel was installed. 1" isn't that much with pistols.

tangolima

Can you still return the barrel for exchange? Looking through the bore, can you detect any sign of a bent barrel? I would give the manufacturer a chance to correct their mistake. It may be that bad.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HighValleyRanch

I'm thinking along the lines of JohnKSa in drifting the rear sight tomorrow to split the difference between the .40 and 9mm.
But they are night sights, so will banging with a brass punch hurt the sights?

TunnelRat

I'm thinking along the lines of JohnKSa in drifting the rear sight tomorrow to split the difference between the .40 and 9mm.
But they are night sights, so will banging with a brass punch hurt the sights?

It generally takes a metal of equal or greater hardness to damage another metal. Brass is generally not harder than steel. To avoid marks on the slide and sights you can use tape on the punch.

HighValleyRanch

Yes, it is consistent in the POI. My groups opened up because of the lack of confidence in the POA and trying to correct it.

I was worried about damaging the night light vials. I read that those sight should be pushed instead of being tapped.

TunnelRat

I was worried about damaging the night light vials. I read that those sight should be pushed instead of being tapped.

The vials are in a steel surround, and you shouldn’t be tapping on them directly. Keep in mind these things experience the force of the slide cycling back and forth under fire.

HighValleyRanch

All's good now

Drifting the rear sight went easier than I expected. Allen screw was easy to turn, and sight drifted with little effort. (SW Shield sights have a reputation of being really tight and hard to move)
Just drifted it over so the sight was to the furthest right in the dovetail and took it down to my range in the field and fired one shot from 5 yards and five shots from 7 yards, and all were well zeroed except for one shooter error flyer.
Didn't try it with the .40 but am setting it up as a range gun for now with the 9mm barrel.

Pretty tight group so am confident now with the setup in the equipment's potential.
five rounds in an inch group, slow fire, Remington 115 grain fmj
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 126

44 AMP

Staff
Keep in mind these things experience the force of the slide cycling back and forth under fire.

Also keep in mind that tapping to drift the sight is 90 degrees perpendicular to the force of the slide cycling, and that could make a significant difference.

Since the OP's sight moved easily, it is a moot point on his gun, but other guns could be quite different.

I would suggest you make some kind of witness marks on the slide and sights so you can easily reposition the sight to its proper place with each different barrel where the point of impact differs from the point of aim.

TunnelRat

Also keep in mind that tapping to drift the sight is 90 degrees perpendicular to the force of the slide cycling, and that could make a significant difference.

It is 90 degrees different directionally, but I don’t think that entirely negates my point that him tapping with a brass rod rod on vials in a steel shroud, assuming he doesn’t go a bit crazy, isn’t that much in the scheme of things. The vials for the tritium and the location on which you ideally should be tapping are also physically separated to some degree. You’re right there’s an element of “proceed at your own risk”, but I’ve moved a lot of sights and the only time I saw a tritium vial actually stop working is because the aluminum housing, these sights used aluminum, of that vial was crushed through deliberately excessive force. I have also seen a set of Trijicon night sets where the front sight was still working even though it looked like it had been through a war zone. I obviously can’t speak to all sights.

TunnelRat

I'm not making a recommendation, just providing some information and it should go without saying, 'buyer beware'...that said:

sight pusher tool:
Midway USA $150.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022047315?pid=694573

Temu $16.
https://www.temu.com/sight-pusher-t...&refer_page_id=10009_1695494659111_r4t2x0qj4k

FYI I've used Temu for some hand tools and have been satisfied with them.

Wheeler Engineering also makes one around the price of that Real Avid one. The Wheeler is decent, but if the slide of the pistol has a noticeable taper to it it kind of stinks. Have you tried that Real Avid one? Seems to have good reviews.

DaleA

I've purchased some Wheeler products and have been VERY impressed with the quality of their products.

I have not had the need for a sight pusher yet. I've toyed around with the idea of putting night sights on one of my firearms and maybe when I do I'll get a sight pusher then.

So, sorry, I can't vouch for the quality of the $16 Temu sight pusher.

HighValleyRanch

Well, I found a solution to my problem of the two barrels having a different POA.
I purchased a used complete .40 slide on auction and ordered some other sights that I will use the .40 to 9 conversion barrel in.
That way I will have a complete upper to switch with the sights properly adjusted for each barrel. On the 9mm for the range I will have a Hi Viz FO front sight and a Heinie ledge on the rear, and for the carry I will keep the original slide with the night sights adjusted back to the POA for the .40 barrel.