Controls Conundrum

Daekar

Matching controls for defense pistols

So, I recently got a Sig p238 which is going to be my primary pistol from here on out. For those of you who don't know, it operates as God and JMB intended: SA only, with the safety and mag release placed like the 1911. My problem is, that's totally different than my other defense piece, an H&K P2000. It has ambidextrous controls, which was a plus when I bought it since I shoot pistols exclusively left-handed, but NONE of my other pistols have the same layout. Even the Ruger MK III is similar to the Sig, so my muscle memory is actually set for pistols that have non-ambi traditional controls.

How does everybody feel about this?

To clarify, the H&K is a GREAT gun, and has never failed me. It is good fun to shoot and as accurate as I could ask. It does have a polymer frame, which didn't seem like a shortcoming until I found the Sig (solid stainless steel frame).

So... should I sell the H&K and go buy a steel-framed 9mm with traditional control layout, or try to train for both control layouts at the same time?

Last edited:

Mosin44az

I would hesitate to sell an HK you like. They are expensive to replace.

Not sure what the problem is. It sounds like you are used to down-to-fire safety manipulation. Even if you, out of habit, do this with the P2000, what problem will this cause? I thought those had no external safeties.

I actually have a variety of action types, and shift around to practice with each. My defense guns tend not to rely on safety manipulation: they are either revolvers, DAO/XD/Glock pistols, or DA/SA pistols deployed with safety off and hammer down. So far, my pair of 1911s are range toys.

It sounds like you may be the opposite.

But unless you think working with your P2000 would actually detract from your performance with your other defense guns, I would keep it.

threegun

Even if you train with both systems you really never know which one your brain will elect to remember first when the crap hits the fan. I am a huge fan of one platform. Unless both are very similar.

The problem may only reveal itself in a life and death situation but thats a hellava time to find out.

Daekar

See... that's what I'm worried about. On the other hand, it's really only the mag release that messes me up... the slide release is fine and there's no safety to fumble with. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

Or maybe my subconscious is trying to get me to buy a CZ-75. Too bad I need to spend money right now like I need my taxes raised.

Anybody else have feelings on matching platforms for defense?

threegun

Its more than controls. Its grip angle, trigger pull weight, and trigger pull length.

My coworker shot an armed robber with a colt 1911. He had just begun to carry this pistol after over a decade of carrying a revolver. As he raised his 1911 to fire (we believe) his subconscious reverted back to the revolvers hard long double action trigger and gave the signal to apply that amount of force at an earlier time in the draw stroke due to the revolvers long pull. This had the 1911 fire early striking the ground between him and the bad guy.

My coworkers usual technique for firing his revolver was to begin to pull the trigger as the gun was being raised to have it fire once level and sighted. The 1911's SA feather light trigger broke way to soon.

P.S. Thankfully the bad guy was hit in the calf and dropped his firearm instantly and ran like a jack rabbit. A SGU successful gun usage despite the different platform.

Microgunner

Hey threegun, the round from our co-worker's Colt didn't strike the ground before striking the BG. I know because the BG came by the shop about 10 years later to thank our mutual co-worker for shooting him and therefore setting him on a productive life course and I asked to look at the scar. Exit hole was lower than entrance hole. Bullet struck him on a downward angle, not a ricochet.
Of course this doesn't alter your point, just thought you'd find it interesting.

Hardcase

Interesting story, threegun and Microgunner, and nice to hear a happy ending!

Somewhat topical, Daekar, my buddy Mike always tells me that guns are for keeping, not selling. I tend to agree.

Daekar

Thanks for the input, guys. The H&K stays! And if it happens to get a stable-mate sometime down the road, well... then it won't be lonely. After all, one 9mm isn't really enough, is it?

Coltman 77

Good move.

Absolutely keep the HK and practice like crazy with your new Sig until you're very familiar with it.

After collecting for 30 yrs. I've got a big collection of handguns and I can shoot them all.

There really are only a few different platforms and they're easy to learn in my experience. :)

Last edited:

MGMorden

Practice with both - I wouldn't like it bother me. I typically only CARRY guns that all work the same way (draw gun, pull trigger, gun goes bang - nice and simple :)), but for range work I've never had any issue with picking up any of the guns I've shot a bit and immediately adapting to them.