Controlled round feed 1rd at a time?

Sharkbite

Ok, ive got a FN SPR that is basically a Win pre70 bolt with controlled round feeding

When i go to the range doing load development i like to single load rounds thru the ejection port. The magazine is just a PITA to load

Is there any problem doing that??

Bart B.

No, not as long as the rounds slide up from the magazine you press them into do so such that their rim's behind the extractor claw. People have been single round loading M14's like that for decades.

Sharkbite

The mag does not allow rds to be pressed into it from above as an M14 does. If i drop a round into the recvr it lays on top of the feed lips of the mag. The bolt slides closed wihout any resistance but im worried about the extractor being damaged

Sharkbit,

If you take a look at the extractor on most if not all current "controlled round feed" bolt actions, you will see that the front most portion has been cut at an angle which allows for the extractor to slip over the case head when the bolt is closed.

Not knowing your rifle, but going by your comment that the bolt will close on a chambered round, "without any resistance" I suspect that the face of your extractor has also be beveled.

Typically, if this has not been done the bolt will not close as the face of the extractor is blunt and simply butts into the case head and will not spring over the head and into the extractor groove.

The bolt closing on a chamber round with little to no resistance has been normal with most rifles for years, even if they are said to be controlled round feeds.

In reality and in most modern controlled round feed rifles, they differ mainly in cartridges pushed from a non-controlled round magazine, they simple lay on the remaining rounds or follower and if the rifle should be turned on it's side of upside down the cartridge would drop free of the rifle.

On a controlled round action, this should not happen as the head of the cartridge slips behind the extractor as the cartridge is pushed from the magazine by the bolt.

Now days, with most bolt actions, both styles will allow the bolt to close on a chambered round, making no difference if it comes from the magazine or is simply laid on the follower or pushed into the chamber.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

jmr40

Won't hurt a thing. Older WW-1 and 2 era military rifles were not designed to do this, but many have been modified. I'm not aware of any current production CRF rifle that is not designed to do this from the factroy.