Contrasting experiences with IMR4198 in .223 Rem

pathdoc

Shot with a Savage Axis II and 3-9X scope from a front rest.

Recipe 1: per Barnes reloading manual, maximum load (worked up carefully as per usual methods), over 36gn Varmint Grenades with BR-4 primers, Winchester twice-fired, neck-resized cases. The groups (four shots each) hovered around 1 inch to 1.5 in to the very end, then dropped to just over 0.5 in for the maximum load.

Definitely one to load up more of and try again.

Recipe 2: Same powder over CCI standard small rifle primers in range-retrieved Federal cases (FL resized), minimum to maximum loads behind 55gn Hornady SP in 0.5gn increments. Bullets seated to Hornady book length. Nothing under an inch, almost everything way, WAY over that.

Definitely one not to even bother playing with further.

YMMV but I hope this helps someone. My secret stash of Varget will be broken into for further experiments with this bullet weight. On the other hand, these two range trips have yielded me plenty of salvaged brass in two calibres I shoot, some of which is now "once fired in my gun" & suitable for the neck sizer or a Lee Loader, so I cannot complain!

Last edited:

Road_Clam

4198 is a very fast burning powder best suited for lighter bullets. In my son's Savage 10FP 26" heavy bbl we had the best precision using 52gr Nosler CC's with about 21.2 gr of 4198. Was at about .7 moa at 100 yds. Tested 55's and 69's with "ok" precision but my data definitely favored the 52's.

Last edited:

pathdoc

Nothing like finding that out for yourself, I guess, LOL. I had to try, and it WAS fun. I don't have access to a finely graduated Imperial ruler, but all of the groups look over an inch and the minimum load appeared the best of a pretty bad lot.

Of course what constitutes a "heavy" bullet in .223 has changed quite a lot over the years, with 70-80gn and heavier projectiles becoming commonplace.

Hunter Customs

My favorite load in 223 is 27.2 grs of IMR4320 (this is a compressed load) Remington 7-1/2 primers, Sierra 55 gr BTHP.

I shoot this load out of a Savage model 10, 20 inch heavy barrel rifle, the rifle will group 5/16 of an inch at 100 yards.

The above rifle is my main Coyote shooter, it does the job.

kerreckt

21gr. of IMR4198 and a 52gr. Sierra bullet. Also, works great with the 50gr."Dogtown" SP bullet. This is an accurate load in every bolt action rifle I have shot it from.

T. O'Heir

The range-retrieved Federal cases are cases that you have no idea what has been done to 'em or anything else.
It just means your rifle doesn't like the 55 grain bullet. The rifling twist is 1 in 9 on an Axis. Try 62 plus grains.

pathdoc

It liked the varmint grenades. Possibly 55gn is an unsweet spot? I shot a box of 75gn Hornady match ammo a while back and it didn't seem to tumble at 100m so heavy bullets 80gn or under should be OK.

Last edited:

pathdoc

Unclenick, I've just gone through my reloading journal and I see that, lo and behold!, about a year ago I put 3031 behind some 55gn Vmax bullets over BR-4 primers and every group save the max load shot under an inch, with the smallest coming in under half (though I had to drop a "called" flyer to get that). Makes sense to load up some more of that and also some more of the 36gn Varmint Grenades over the IMR 4198 and see whether they were flukes or not.

Saving the 4198 for the Varmint Grenades.

bluetopper

Sometimes I crush case necks trying to cut the big long hard sticks of 4198 in my progressive press.
I'll never use it again.