Contender barrel 7-30 or 6.8spc

Noreaster

Looking to add another barrel to my collection. Somewhere in the area of a 130 yd deer caliber, for someone who doesn't roll their own, which do you prefer. Is the 6.8 capable of taking deer that far?

hoghunting

I've never tried the 6.8, but thoroughly enjoy the 7-30 Waters. I handload and have taken numerous hogs and deer with the longest shot being just over 200 yds. You're pretty limited with factory ammo though.

bull bob

If you don't reload, one of the better rounds for this application would be 30-30 Win., especially in a 14" barrel. Easy on recoil, adequate for deer out to say 200 yds., and easy to find ammo.

have both, but can't compare apples to oranges...

1st off, I almost only exclusively handload, but I do have both a 7-30 Waters barrel (14") & a 6.8 SPC barrel (21")... also have a 10" 30-30 barrel that is accurate enough for deer out to 150 yards

personally I think the SPC has the most "potential" but since you don't handload, I think you'd have to check factory ammo available... a quick check, & I didn't find too many "real" hunting specific 6.8 ( that is actually in stock... I checked Midway )... maybe you can find it loaded with a good hunting bullet, looks like there are quite a few made... so, that would be my 1st choice, provided you can get a good hunting bullet... otherwise I really do like the 7-30 Waters... I've never used it on game, but most all factory ammo is going to be loaded for hunting game...

Last edited:

Cemo

I have killed deer with my Contender 7-30 with 16 1/4" barrel using 120 gr. at approx. 25-2600fps. Performance has been great. The 6.8 offer similar velocity and bullet weights, it should have similar performance. Hopefully I will find out this season as I now have a AR15 in 6.8 that I intend to use.

Noreaster

Thanks for the info. Commercial ammo for the 7-30 is pretty much 120 grain SP. The 6.8 seems more 110 vmax and fmj target stuff, but there are other configurations out there. I currently use a 14inch 44 mag and I'm looking to extend the range and a little less recoil for extended range sessions.

Silver State Armory has a good selection of 6.8 hunting loads in 110 grain; Nossler Accubond, Barns TSX, Sierra Pro Hunter. They also have a 140 grain load but it list you must have a spec II chamber.

Last edited:

WMBigs

I loaded the 7-30 Waters with the 140 gr ballistic tips. Many deer taken with that, 200yards about max. On the other hand, the Federal load 129?gr took many deer. Great deer round.

thickice

Maybe it was just my barrel, but I had a lot of extraction problems with my 6.8. The extractor would slip past the base of the cartridge.

OkieCruffler

If you don't handload I'm anothrer who would advise against either. 30-30 will give you alot more options. Or you could make a friend who does reload.