Contemplating an AR build

markm_04

I will start off by saying that I am not extremely familiar with nor do I currently own an AR.

I am very interested in building and AR for myself. I think it would be a fun and interesting project. I have a fairly good idea of where to start but am looking for any tips or recommendations from anyone who has taken up such a task before. I am not looking to get the gun completed right away and see this being a project to complete over the course of the next 4-5 months possibly.

Is it best to start from a parts kit or buy part separately along the way? Start with a stripped lower or a completed lower? Recommendations on manufacturers? I want to build something mainly for recreational use chambered in 5.56/.223 and don't want to spend gobs of money but want to end up with a good, quality product.

Is there anything to be cautious of or real concerned about along the way other than safety of course? I look forward to your advice and am looking forward to getting this project started and learning a lot along the way.

Jim243

Go to Midway USA, they have a bunch of video's on AR building many for free or just purchase the DVD.

Jim

rdmallory

Parts kit would probably be cheaper do to the shipping on each part unless you found one place that had everything you wanted.

Buying it one piece at a time lets you spread the cost out over a longer time period. Now is a good time to build one as a lot of dealers over bought after the last run on them and some of the parts are a cheap as I have ever seen them. Might want to build two to help split up the cost of shipping.

Lately I have seen $79 Bolt carrier groups, $49 lowers and $89 barrels. 6 months ago they were 3 times this if you could find them.

Doug

Tipsy Mcstagger

I built a lower with a parts kit and didn't want to build an upper because I didn't have any headspace gauges. I know that it's supposed to headspace on its own, but I'd rather have that part done by someone else. I have built 2 lowers now and I can say that the only part that was difficult for me was putting in the dang roll pins. On the first I scratched through the scotch tape I put on it for when the punch walks. On the second I got smart and used a small clamp to push the pins in, and the only hairy part was wondering if I'd bend the ears that hold the trigger guard, which I didn't. I don't know how this sight feels about linking to other forums but do a google search about building them and there are some free instructions with pictures on other sites that were extremely helpful. Brownells also has YouTube vids.

markm_04

I am leaning towards a blank PSA lower with a RRA parts kit and a completed RRA upper. I as well do not have any head space gauges and from what I gether there are some special tools needed to assemble the upper. I think it would be a bit easier and quicker just to buy the completed upper. I have been looking at the PSA lowers that they have currently in stock, and maybe I am missing something, but what is the difference in all of them other than being Mil-spec or just manufactured by someone other than PSA themselves? Are any of them better than the others they have listed or should I just get any one of them that is Mil-spec and go from there?

markm_04

Thanks for the info blacksky. There is alot of good information on those sights, especially for a first time AR builder!

bitttorrrent

I'm looking to do same. Found the ar15 website through brownels and let's you build one virtually. Pretty cool.

Few questions.
Triger group has large pin or small pin. I thought all receivers were same.

And if I do a slightly longer 18" barrel is that mid length and not carbine which is 16"??

And along that, some lowers have trigger guards separate. Which way is preferred.

Ill know more after I watch some videos.

markm_04

I played around with that for a little while tonight. That is a neat feature and I do like being able to virtually build your gun there and save different projects, but they dont have all the options available by far. I wouldnt expect them to have every part from every manylufacturer but it does help to give you an idea of what to expect it to look like and cost.

globemaster3

Everyone else beat me to the links.

The next best advice I can give since this is your first one is sit down and write out what purpose you want this rifle to fill. By doing that, you can narrow down the options and keep from getting lost like a kid in the candy store with a pocket full of quarters.

There are just so many AR options out there... There is a reason they are called Legos for men!:D

Sky_DiveR

To answer your questions bitttorrent,

Colt is the only receiver to use large pins. All the other manufacturers use small pins for their FCG (so far as I know).

Carbine (short), Mid (mid-size?), and Rifle (long), describe the type/length of gas systems not barrel length. Some prefer to use a Mid length gas system for a 16" barrel instead of the Carbine length since it isn't as hard on the brass.

Usually Billet receivers have the triggerguard as part of the receiver while Forged usually do not (IIRC). Obviously you can't use a particular brand or style triggerguard (ie: Magpul) if one is already provided on the receiver.

MagnumWill

I just finished my first AR build this morning. Do it!!! For me it was significantly more satisfying than just buying an AR from somewhere. I was originally concerned about it being a frankengun, but after going through the build process I'm much more confident in it, even more so than most stock rifles from the major manufacturers. Also, the knowledge I've gained from building my own helped me solve a problem with my other AR that would have been easily "ship back to manufacturer" worthy if I didn't know anything about it and have the tools to fix it.

Mine's a myriad of makers - Spike's lower - Windham lower parts kit - Magpul furniture - DSG buffer kit - Palmetto 20" upper. I can't wait to shoot it.

I was a little hesitant at first about building one - now I'll never buy a complete one again. Plus, it's fun making your own unique rifle and you're at the range you'll never say, "like my rifle? It's a Colt 6920!" and nineteen other guys yell, "nice, so is mine!!" :D

Marquezj16

The sites mentioned are pretty good. I've used the instructions from AR15.com for all my lowers.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

You don't need the pivot pin installation tool. I use a thin putty knife to hold the pivot pin spring and detent down.

Also I just use a needle nose pliers instead of roll pin holders.

Take it slow. No need to go hammering hard on anything.

Good luck with your builds.

Palmetto-Pride

Colt used to use the large pin lower receivers so people couldn't insert full auto fire control groups into there lowers, but now they have gone back to regular small pin lower receivers again.

Ibmikey

MagnumWill & Markam, Now thatyou have a 5.56 you need to buy a good barrel wrench, order a Rainier (or other brand) .300 AAC Blackout barrel and build a really fun AR that will add versitility to your shooting experience. Except for the barrel and hider all parts are the same and converted .223 brass is readily available, really fun gun with supersonic loads...can be made suppressed with subsonic loads. :) aha! the saga continues.

toppermost

IMHO....

Frankly, if its your first build you should buy as many of the individual parts as you can.

I did this. I learned what each and every single part does. I learned how they all all come together. And, perhaps most importantly, I learned A LOT about where to shop and find deals.

I also learned what I could and could not do "on my own" (for instance, I do not have a torque wrench and I don't want to buy something I am going to use maybe once a year, so I had a local shop attach the barrel).