Consistent low POI.

std7mag

So, i had Carpal Tunnel surgery last summer on both wrists.
Finally started back to shooting pistol again.
I've recently picked up an H & K VP9 and a Walther PPQ in 45ACP.
Both shoot groups i'm really happy with.
But it's a consistent 4" low.
Centered, but 4" low.

I'm leaning towards it's my grip. Or lack thereof.

What say you?

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you are pretty consistently shooting 5 shot groups in the neighborhood of 3" center-to-center of the two farthest apart rounds at 15 yards and they are not where you want them to be on the target, it's time to look at altering the sights.

If your groups are significantly larger than that at 15 yards, then you've very likely got a problem with shot anticipation that needs to be solved.

TunnelRat

I’d ask at what distance you’re shooting. I’d also ask if you did any physical therapy after your surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob228

When I shoot a lot and don't dry fire I can get some very consistent, tightly grouped shots that perfectly demonstrate anticipating the recoil (low left for me). There could be a chance that your brain is trying to protect your wrists and you are anticipating. Dry firing with camera recording your pistol or having a friend watch the muzzle to see if it drops will let you know pretty quickly if it is anticipation. A laser also works really well in highlighting that.

IF it is consistent enough and it has become your new normal, as previously mentioned it may be time to adjust the sights.

TunnelRat

One problem here is in terms of adjusting the sights, neither a VP9 or a PPQ (at least the 9mm model) have the provision for adjusting elevation, they’re drift adjust only. Now you could probably find a different height front sight from some place like Dawson Precision or similar, or file the fronts of the sights your have.

Last edited:

chadio

I hope your surgery and recovery went well.

Getting older and physical / health problems are a drag...

Have you considered a supported, pistol bench, just to evaluate the situation? Might be worth doing before modifying your technique or sights.

Good luck and keep us updated

HiBC

Do you use center hold or 6 O'clock hold?

Guns set up to shoot to point of aim at a given range will "shoot low" with 6 O'clock hold.

std7mag

The only physical therapy that i had was messing with squeeze balls.
First the gel filled type, then the sand filled type.

Tried to shoot my pistol last fall (my 1911). One shot & had failure to eject & dropped my pistol.
Just now trying to get back into it.

Distance varied from 2 yards to 25 yards. Was getting decent groups, but about 4" low at all distances. With both pistols.

TunnelRat

The only physical therapy that i had was messing with squeeze balls.
First the gel filled type, then the sand filled type.

Tried to shoot my pistol last fall (my 1911). One shot & had failure to eject & dropped my pistol.
Just now trying to get back into it.

Distance varied from 2 yards to 25 yards. Was getting decent groups, but about 4" low at all distances. With both pistols.

4” low at all distances might suggest an issue with your hold on target, as if it was a flinch or similar I would expect the deviation from the point of aim to be worse at farther distances (4” low at 2 yd is so low that you’d likely have to change both front and rear sights to fix that).

Since these pistols are new to you and you mention having had a 1911, are you trying to do a 6 o’clock hold? A number of service pistols are set up where you are meant to “drive the dot”, that is the front post and dot either partially or completely cover your intended point of impact. If you hold below the target they will impact lower than that.

I mentioned physical therapy because when I had my wrist surgery the surgeon at the time said I likely wouldn’t need any. That ended up being quite wrong in my case. I think I ended up going to therapy for about a month, but I needed to in order to get my grip strength and more notably my range of movement back.

totaldla

Do the pistols wear combat sights? If so, remember that the bullet goes where the front dot points, not the top of the blade.

lll Otto lll

2 yards? Why would anybody shoot that close? I assume you mean 20 yards.
A 4 inch drop at 25 yards could simply be the ammo. I suggest letting someone else try the guns and see if they have the same results as yours.