Considering the purchase of a 44 Mag Revolver

Yoosta B. Blue

When I was in the Marine Corps several decades ago, I was stationed a while on Okinawa. While there, I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum. (Maybe that should be Super Blackhawk, I can't remember.) I shot it as much as I could afford to shoot at the base range. Not long after I returned stateside, someone busted the window out of my car and stole the gun that I had grown to love so much... :mad:

The incident of losing that 44 to a thief so soured me, I had no interest in guns at all for something like 40 years. Just within the past three years or so have I developed a keen interest in handguns and shooting. I've since purchased several handguns, and am enjoying shooting and reloading.

I've begun to think that I would really enjoy having another 44 Magnum. I doubt that I would shoot it much, but those of you who shoot this caliber know how captivating an experience that 'big boom' is when you fire a few rounds. I don't think I'd ever be hunting with it (at least not scoped). It would just be a nice gun 'to have' and to fire occasionally for the sheer excitement of it.

Question: If you were considering such a purchase, what do you think you would pursue? Blued? Stainless? Shorter barrel? Longer barrel? One brand much preferred over another? Any insights that you'd like to pass along to me will be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Yoosta B. Blue

woad_yurt

I'm very pleased with my stainless Redhawk. I like the DA capability and it's definitely built to last. Used ones sometimes go pretty cheaply on Gunbroker. Keep your eyes peeled for a while and you'll find one.

Fishslayer

Saw a nice stainless Blackhawk for sale just the other day.

I like DA Smiths so I'd be looking for either an old P&R M29 or a pre-lock 629.

For paper shredding the 6" barrel rules, the 4" barrel handles faster for dealing with zombies.:D

JPD622

Take a look at the S&W Model 29 line. I have a strong preference for the older "pinned abd recessed" (pinned barrel and recessed cartridge holes in the cylinder) variant. The quality on these older S&W's is far superior IMO to the newer ones. The trigger pull on these older guns are as smooth as glass. They are easy to find in great condition because they were so expensive to shoot. Take a look on Gunbroker.

dreamweaver

the rugers are great guns, probably some of the stronger guns available. you can load 'em hot w/o any concerns. but the S&W 44's are classic and the the lightweight titanium revolvers are and excellent carry gun.
overall. a great caliber for just about any task.
just my 2c

Edward429451

Question: If you were considering such a purchase, what do you think you would pursue? Blued? Stainless? Shorter barrel? Longer barrel? One brand much preferred over another? Any insights that you'd like to pass along to me will be appreciated. Thanks

I would pursue a Blue (costs less), Longer barrel (5.5-7.5), Ruger (Personal experiance!), more durable than the S&W (in my mind),

and learn to hand load for it

ClydeFrog

Ruger AK snub .44, IMI BFR, Freedom Arms...

I'd check into the wicked cool Ruger snub AK model. It comes in .44mag/.44spl or .454/.45LC(long colt). It's a Super Redhawk stainless with adj sights. Just for kicks you can add a Crimsontrace lasergrip; www.Crimsontrace.com . If recoil is a issue you can get Mag-na-port or ported gunsmith work.
The single action BFR line; www.Magnumresearch.com , looks well made.
The .454 Freedom Arms single action is a well made revolver. It had a short barrel .454 called a US Marshal or Dep Marshal a few years ago.

The S&W .44magnums have a lot of supporters but newer models with the idiot lawyer locks have had documented problems and complaints with full magnum rounds.

Clyde
www.Ruger.com www.Gunsamerica.com www.Lawmanleathergoods.com

Evergreen

I love my S&W 629-4 4" barrel 44 mag. It is kind of a beast to shoot and has some mean recoil, but it is exciting. I still am yet to master the art of .44 shooting, as just controlling the gun is a chore. My gun is mostly for self-defense in the woods and I am not realy using it for marksmanship. I think a 6" barrel, at least, would be needed for comfortable shooting with this caliber.

458winshooter

44 mag choice

The 44 is an intoxicating caliber to say the least,I own 2 mags and a special.What style of revolver do you like?Single action or double action?You may be able to find a cheaper version like a Virginian or like one of mine a Llama super commanche that will fit the bill and not cost as much.I got mine a few years ago for under $400.It looks very much like a model 29 and even uses the same speed loader.My wife calls it "Dirty Harriot" because it is her favorite gun.She keeps it loaded with 44 specials in her night stand.She can actually hit with it too.The ribbed six inch barrel makes it a real *****cat to shoot specials with.To me for plinking 4 or 6 inch barrels should be the max with the preference for 4".My other 44 mag is a Ruger super blackhawk 7 1/2 in stainless.Not exactly a plinker but fun to have none the less.Good luck in your search its hard to imagine a collection without one.

Yoosta B. Blue

Hats off to each of you fine enthusiasts for the replies. I've done lots of browsing around on the Internet, reading various articles regarding the 44 Magnum and handloading of the same.

I've definitely decided on stainless and DA for whatever I get. Chances are good that I will be making a purchase in the next week or so...:D

YBB

BigJimP

I'm a S&W guy .....so I like the older model 29's (Nickel primarily) in 6" or 8 3/8" barrels .....but I've also picked up a couple of S&W 629 models - a 629 DX ( that has changeable front sight ramps ) in 8 3/8" barrel ...and a 3" that is ported - a "Trail Boss" model that is fun to shoot as well.

The older model 29's were available in Nickel or blued ....and all of the 629's are stainless ....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54473&d=1259866336

here is a photo of one of the older model 29's in Nickel 8 3/8" and the 629 DX and the 629 Trail Boss ... ( the Trail Boss is heavy / but its a nice hiking gun )....if you're in big bear country ...

dannyb

I have a soft spot for Model 29s. I have a 6 inch in blue and in stainless and a 4 inch. They are all tack drivers. I prefer a somewhat hot .44 special in them to a full bull magnum, but that's mainly to let me shoot longer without wearing out. I keep one of the 6 inchers loaded with magnum and ready in our mountain house during bear waking up season (we're right next to a state forest in PA). I keep it that way in case the bear spray isn't working or I'm not in a position to use it.

My favorite story is one of the city folk who have a house up there called the rangers to come and get their (the rangers') bear and take it back where it belongs.

IanS

I purchased a new classic Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel last year and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I've been a longtime S&W fan but something drew me to the Redhawk. Not as pricey as a S&W for my intro to .44 Mag, not as overdone like a Super Redhawk, but stronger looking than an N frame. I couldn't believe the DA trigger that came out of the box. Smoother and lighter than any of the S&W L or J frames that I bought in the last 15 years. (To be fair I haven't tried an N frame .44 Mag. I am assuming it'd about the same) Anyways, a nice tank of a .44 Mag revolver. But I'd suggest losing the hard to hold skinny wood grips and get something a bit more substantial and grippy.

I'm not a fan of traditional single action revolvers in .44 Mag. Not an optimal grip design for having the best control over the .44 Magnum cartridge. Now a Bisley gripped model would be better.

Last edited:

skinnygun

Colt44magAnaconda001.jpg

Look into a Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum 8" barrel with the longer sight quite a good target gun.Trigger in double action is smooth, single action wow..
Shooting this revolver with 240 gr,.44 Magnum rounds feel like .45 acp easy to shoot one handed , a large gun but with a grip that a small hand can hold on to ..Check out the picture below, (Colt top) S+W 625 JM converted to .460 Rowland..

Attachments

• Colt .44 mag Anaconda 002.jpg
    Colt .44 mag Anaconda 002.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 14

jhenry

Ruger Super Blackhawk, blue, 7.5", just like the one you had. I imagine you will like it as much now as then.