Considering Ruger SFAR - Experience, Opinions?

Pistoler0

I am considering a Ruger SFAR with a 20" barrel as a do it all (hunting, compete, long range) rifle.

Anybody who owns in can chip in? I am interested in reliability and accuracy. Also what kind of experience you have with different ammo (I am no a re-loader) and steel cased.

And of course.... pics of yours all decked out! :p

Sarge

I looked at a 16" SFAR last week. They are surprisingly light and the execution appears top notch, from the perspective one who's been to Armorer School. I'm not really an AR guy, but this one really appealed to me.

I searched the web and the best practical accuracy review I found was this-

https://youtu.be/chj5HMfpHfM

Pistoler0

Thank you Sarge!

I had just viewed that video 2 minutes before I posted the question, and it is what piqued my interest in the rifle : )

MarkCO

You should buy one, so I can shoot it. :)

I have not, but folks I trust have, and they have been very impressed, especially for the price point.

Pistoler0

You should buy one, so I can shoot it. :)

I have not, but folks I trust have, and they have been very impressed, especially for the price point.
he he, it is between the SFAR and the KRG Bravo chassis for a (late) Christmas gift.
: ) I'll let you know

bacardisteve

I picked up the 16" for hunting and it's been great. I only have about 200 rnds through mine so far with no issues. Plan to work up some loads for it now that deer season is over but it runs just under moa @ 100yds with 168gr amax. Waiting for a supressor to get out of jail to see how it does with that. It feels and handles just like an ar15.

Attachments

• 20221003_091543.jpg
    20221003_091543.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221003_100634.jpg
    20221003_100634.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

MarkCO

If anyone is reloading, I shot my friends recently, just 5 rounds, with my Heavy 3Gun load, which is the Nosler 140g Custom Competition (.30 caliber) over TAC. Out to 600 yards, basically the same as a 6.5CM. Printed 0.65" group for those 5 rounds at 100 yards. I was impressed.

litework

I’ve had my 16” SFAR for a about a month now. I’ve only shot cheaper, light ammo (150 grain Águila) so far but Santa is supposed to bring me some 168 grain BTHP on Sunday.

I put a Burris RT6 on it and added an Arisaka Defense 18650 Malkoff Devices light with an offset scout mount to keep the light close to the rail. I also changed to an ambidextrous charging handle to get around the optic. The charging handle is the only thing I actually changed on the gun.

This was a pretty spontaneous purchase but I’m happy with it so far.
56c819e7635f48bdd0809eda252a738f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk