Considering Rebarreling a Rem 722 in .222 to 5.56/223 with a heavier barrel

PACraftsman

Considering Rebarreling a Rem 722 in .222 to 223 Wylde with a heavier barrel

I have a safe queen I haven’t shot in 25 years. It’s a Remington 722 in .222. I’m considering putting a heavier barrel on it and chambering it in 5.56/223(which I have since learned I should have called it a 223 Wylde) Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

Pathfinder45

If you're not going to shoot it, keep it original. But if you are going to start using it, keep it original anyway.
Everybody and their dog has a 223 of some sort; many have a collection of them.
Take half the money you would have spent on the conversion and buy ammo and/or reloading components for 222 and be happy with it. Take the other half of the money and spend it on your Family.

BeeShooter

I wouldn't exchange a .222 Rem for a .223. My .222s (722 and Model 70 Heavy Varmint) shoot better than any .223 that I've ever seen. Sierra 50gr. #1340 and 8208 - 3200fps - .23in. @100 yds. But that's just me, if you like the .223 then go for it.

RC20

To answer the direct question, its a bit of coin flip process.

Unless you havae the receiver wrench then you need a Gun Smith.

Once you get a Rem barrel off, it has fine threads like a Savage and you can get what is called a Remange barrel.

You can use a barrel wrench or a reciver werench to put it on and headspce it yoursel.

How deep you get into it depeonds on how much you will shoot it.

One off then a GS is fine. I built up 3 in Savage and got the tools to do it and when I eat up a barrel I can do it again for the price of a barrel.

If I was getting a barrel for it I would go wither Shilen or Criterion, both are mid level prices and good reputations. You should easily get sub 1/2 MOA out of them.

Those are button rifled, not cut (cut is for competition shooters) - I can get 3/8 MOA and sometimes a bit better out of mine.

I shoot a lot and will eat up a barrel so the appeal is one time cost for the tools (I think it was around $100, torque wrench is option, I happened to have one and used it initially but once I got the feel for it no).

Northern Shooter Supply has the best receiver wrench and barrel nut tool.

The difference for me was the Savage comes with the nut so I did not have to pipe wrench the barrel off. I sold the original barrels (not a lot but got some money back, $70 to 120)

std7mag

Aside from the heavy barrel, your not going to pick up anything switching to 223.
Same casing, same bullets, different pressures.

If it were me, going 223/5.56, i'd go with the 223 Wylde.

Otherwise, for a Rem barrel swap you'll need...
1) good, sturdy bench
2) good vise
3) barrel vise
4)action wrench
5) good 3 lb plus hammer
6) headspace gages.

If your not doing the Remage conversion, your barrel may come "short chambered".
This means that you have to finish reaming the chamber, using the go/no go gages as reference.
Not difficult, but time consuming by hand.

Would advise swinging by Dicks or Cabelas and getting one of their Savage model 11.
Dicks is the 11VT, Cabelas the 11 FV.
You can get them on sale cheaper than a new barrel and smith.

Last edited:

PACraftsman

Thanks for all the input so far. It’s a wealth of information to say the least. I’ll fill in a little more background. I used to handload for it. I lost interest in hand loading in general, at least for now.

I’ve always considered putting a heavier barrel on it. At this time, doing so and chambering it for a much more affordable and available round just makes sense to me. That is once I get my cost estimates, if they seem reasonable compared to buying another rifle. I will compare.

I’m not familiar with a 223 Wylde, can you shoot a .223 out of it too?

Jim Watson

Yes, the Wylde chamber is fudged to let you shoot 5.56 military without fear and without hurting accuracy with real .223. Seems like a good idea in your case.

old roper

Your 722 is going to have certain value but nothing wrong replacing existing barrel. You do have better bullet selection using 223 case vs 222.

Jim Watson

He should carefully consider the twist rate.
Cheapest possible M193ish 55 gr = 12 twist
M855 62 gr maybe up to 75 gr = 9 twist
Serious long range target ammo 75-80 gr =8 twist.
A faster twist will usually do ok with lighter/shorter bullets.

RC20

1-9 is not a bad split, nothing says it won';t shoot the heavies, its a tenendy.

It might well shoot the lighter than 62 just fine.

I have shot a 1-10 30-06 with 125 gr and they shoot fine in that twist up to 220 gr. I was getting under 5/8 MOA with the 125 and tend to about 3/8 MOA with the 168s I normally shoot.

std7mag

I don't know what "tenendy" is either.. :rolleyes:

Old Roper,
Better bullet selection using 223 vs 222???
Same freak'n bullets... 0.224"
Cartridges, aka factory ammo i could see..

PA,
Your messages are turned off...
Essentially the 5.56 has a longer throat, and uses a higher pressure than 223.
It is safe to shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber, but accuracy may suffer due to the long throat.
Also lots of 77gr and heavier 5.56 ammo, meaning a faster twist rate of the rifling.
It is generally NOT ADVISED to shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber.
The higher pressure, coupled with the heavier, longer bullets that could jam in the rifling on the shorter 223 chamber can raise pressure even more.

I live in the Altoona area. If your close, PM me and we'll see about getting together.

Last edited: