Considering Mosquito, but any fixes/updates planned?

Padawan

Hello all. I posted this over at SIGforum, but I wanted to get some input from you also.

I'm very near to purchasing a .22 auto and am mainly interested in guns such as the Mosquito, P22, CZ-75 Kadet, etc. I have done research on all of them, and have handled all but the Kadet. Of the options, my primary choice would be the Mosquito, because I like the way it feels and the fact that it is relatively similar to my P226. However, I have concerns about its reliability. My question is basically as follows.

It is clear from reading the range reports that the majority of Mosquitos are picky with ammo and often not terribly reliable. I do not doubt that SIG is aware of this issue, but are there any plans by the company to rectify these problems? I have read of people sending their guns back and receiving new ones that perform better, but what is it about these new guns that allows them to function more reliably? Has SIG "tweaked" the design at all for these newer guns? If I were to purchase one, would I be better-off looking for one that is as "new" as possible? Would the gun's serial number give any insight into possibly being a newer or updated gun? I am considering one of the two-tone or green versions simply because I feel these would be the newest and most likely to work correctly. Am I incorrect in assuming this?

I apologize for the numerous questions, but I am trying to make the most informed purchase possible, and want to avoid the hassle and frustration of an unreliable gun if at all possible. Thanks in advance. :)

281 Quad Cam

Being a CZ fan, I would nudge you toward the Kadet.

I was also interested in the Sig Mosquito, but after hearing such horrible reports from buyers, I reconsidered... The CZ Kadet has alot of happy customers, but I already have a CZ, I wanted another gun. I went ahead and just got a Buckmark instead for $299 - and couldn't possibly be more pleased! I was looking for a good crisp trigger, and boy did I find it! Can't say enough good things....

Sorry that I can't help answer any questions concerning the Mosquito... But I would wait quite a bit longer to be sure the bugs get worked out, if they ever do!

ksmash01

I'd be happy to help

I just purchased my mosquito, and i took some time to get to know it a lot better. I also tested both springs that were included with the pistol.

i purchased 4 kinds of ammo to start with(cci mini mags, remington golden bullets, remington peters, and federal champion), and proceeded to test them all thoroughly.

The CCI mini mags performed flawlessly with the stock spring, but the other three were lacking the energy to produce enough recoil to cycle cleanly.

the weaker spring , however, gave much beter results with the remington GBs and the peters, but the bulk federals still wouldnt work. there were some FTF(feed) issues with the federals, and a few duds in the peters batch i had, but overall with the stock spring, the remington GB's were flawless with the weak spring. The CCI mini mags also worked with the weak spring 100%.

this pistol is fun.....

the trigger needs some help......but shooting it should take care of that.:D

ksmash01

I'd be happy to help

I just purchased my mosquito, and i took some time to get to know it a lot better. I also tested both springs that were included with the pistol.

i purchased 4 kinds of ammo to start with(cci mini mags, remington golden bullets, remington peters, and federal champion), and proceeded to test them all thoroughly.

The CCI mini mags performed flawlessly with the stock spring, but the other three were lacking the energy to produce enough recoil to cycle cleanly.

the weaker spring , however, gave much beter results with the remington GBs and the peters, but the bulk federals still wouldnt work. there were some FTF(feed) issues with the federals, and a few duds in the peters batch i had, but overall with the stock spring, the remington GB's were flawless with the weak spring. The CCI mini mags also worked with the weak spring 100%.

this pistol is fun.....

the trigger needs some help......but shooting it should take care of that.:D

glockopop

Any .22 autoloader is going to somewhat finicky about ammo. My brother in law had a Ruger MKII that he bought brand new and left in a box for 3 years. After it came back out it jammed a lot. My buddy's dad has a MKI that's as old as the hills that I've never seen jam. Quality of rimfire ammo varies greatly.