considering desecrating a relic...

Kaylee

:p

Seriously.. I have on my lap a `43 pieces-parts frankengun 1911. (Remington-Ran lower, looks like a later model Colt slide, aftermarket barrel)

I know the collector-types tell me the value's shot anyway as a collector gun (not why I got it anyhow), but I'm thinking of tweaking some things. Anyhow, my smith up in Boise says "oh yeah, mill it out for a dropped ejection port, dovetail front sights, etc etc"

I'm thinking I might be better off just buying a new slide with most of the goodies, having the Kart barrel that's in it now fit to the new slide, and going that way. Seems less bother, easier to change back if I don't like it afterall, and less likely to get somebody three generations down the line hacked off at me for tearing apart a piece of history.

(which, by the way, is why I got this one instead of a current Springfield/Colt/Kimber/whatever -- I wanted something that had "been there and done that")

Besides, looks like it's been done already:
http://usgi1911.tripod.com/meusoc.html
(thanks dsk!!! -- I LOVE your site!!)

Suggestions? How do the costs typically compare, and do some commercial slides fit the gov't frame better than others? (As in, is there a 1911 equivalient of Colt's bastardized post-ban AR recievers?). Is it possible to just order a slide with the "goodies" (good extractor, tritium sights, maybe dropped/flared ejection port) already done?

By the by.. just tried the full-dissassembly and back thing. Cripes that disconnector-sear assembly is a PITA! Took a while getting the hammer back in to. Still.. don't think I'd even consider taking any of my other toys down that far, so I suppose that's saying something for the 1911 design, eh?

I finally got everything back together, but I noticed that the frame/thumb safety overtravels a hair and is popped back into position by the lil' detent. Any idea if I screwed something up, or is that normal?

Thanks again all!

-K

edited: my bad, later model Colt Slide. '43 or later, anyhow. Also, I think I got the sear pin in backwards (from the right side of the frame) I'll try putting it in the other way tomorrow and see if that fixes the overtravel problem)

RE letting the old warhorses rest.. the way I see it, I'd like for the thing to still be useful. However, I'm also REALLY hesitent to make any irreversible changes to it -- whatever I do, I prefer to make it possible to get back to "as stock as I got it" if at all possible.

Last edited:

The Terminator

Kaylee,
It is just my humble opinion, but, we need to let these honorable old war horses rest. Most good gunsmiths will not work on one for this very reason. These guns have served their country very well and are probablly older than most of us here. It is your gun, and I respect your right to do what you want, but that is the way that I see it.

dsk

Kaylee, the thumb safety overtravel is normal. However, the pins need to go in from the left side or else they're gonna walk out of the gun when you shoot it.

Regarding mods, I suggest drop-in only. Yes you're not talking about a collectible museum piece, but almost every time I ever customized a gun I later wished I had left it alone once the novelty of the mods wore off. Besides, even in GI configuration the old military guns are still effective shooting pieces. Maybe it's simply because I still have young eyes, but I can shoot my '43 Colt every bit as fast and well as my Kimber Eclipse! The GI sights barely slow me down at all.

C.R.Sam

Mismatched slides were the norm for issue guns from the armory to the troops.

Goodonya Kaylee for gettin into that thing.

Sam

Redlg155

Yep, collector value isn't that much and unless there is some sentimental value or you know the story behind that particular pistol I would just do what you wanted to do. Go ahead and modify her. You can always switch back someday.

I shoot all my guns and it's a shame to let one sit. No such thing as retirement for my guns. The old warhorses need to be let out to run the trail every once in a while. Besides, they are just as strong as the ones today. Look at the popularity of them. We have folks buying up C&R weapons by the boatload. Colt 1927 Sytemas, German M98's, Yugo M48's, SKS's, Enfields, and the list goes on and on. No doubt some of these rifles have killed many a soldier. No doubt many have been carried through the trenches and have seen places we will never see in our lifetimes. And folks are buying these guns to shoot. What better way to honor some old warhorse?

Unless it was your Grandads pistol, do what your heart desires.

Good SHooting
RED

dsk

That reminds me of what a friend once told me. The only time in his life he ever saw a Singer M1911A1, it was a couple decades ago and the slide had been cut for Bo-Mars! :eek: