Considering a new Revolver

Rob96

Haven't shot revolver in quite a few years, and was thinking of buying a new one. With todays manufacturing how does the Taurus .357 mags compare to the Ruger GP100?

smoney

I know opinions differe, but me and a few other people have had horrible problems with taurus revolvers, they are crap! Ruger is second only to Smith & Wesson, which most of us are boycotting. Ruger will also repair any defects in the gun and have excellent customer service. Taurus has an "unlimited lifetime" warranty because they NEED IT.

the ruger is by far the better of the two, a used S&W would be the best though.

happy shooting.

Rob96

Went out today and compared them side by side, it will be Ruger all the way. The lock up of the Ruger and overall feel was superb. I should have figured this one out from owning other Ruger products.

tyro

Several months ago, I asked a dealer to order for me a Ruger KGP 141 (4" barrel, full underlug, adjustable rear sight, stainless steel). After 3 weeks, the dealer still had not been able to locate a Ruger with the specifications noted above (3" and 6" barrel models were available, but no 4"). So I let the dealer sell me a new Taurus Tracker M627 with the above noted specifications + ported barrel and rubber recoil absorbing combat grip. A couple of weeks later, a poster on the TFL handgun forum offered a Ruger LNIB with the desired specications, so I bought it.

A couple of weeks after getting the Ruger, I took the Taurus back to the dealer and traded it for an in-house credit toward a future unspecified (and at the time unknown) purchase. I didn't care what I might get for it, I just wanted to get rid of the Taurus ('turned out, I got a LNIB 870 Police Magnum - what a bargain!) Why did I want to get rid of the Taurus? Because the Ruger manual recommended unlimited dry firing, whereas the Taurus manual said something like "Dry firing is bad for this revolver, even with the stricker plate (engaged or disingaged or something like that)". The Ruger is a more rugged gun, and I like the way it looks and feels.

I will say this for the Taurus Tracker: zero perceptible recoil, like firing a cap pistol, with full magnum loads (145gr and 125gr). The Ruger recoil hurt my wrist (age 67 with a tinge of arthritus), so I have sent it to Jack Weigand (Weigand Combat Handguns) for barrel porting, precision action job, and Ashley Outdoors Express Sights.

So, If you want a revolver which inflicts zero recoil, and if you don't mind not being able to dry fire it, the Taurus is the cheaper gun and might satisfy you. Being a perfectionist, I do not mind putting the extra money into customizing the Ruger.

Vern Brink

If you can justify buying a S&W, get a 686 or 686 plus and have Weigand convert it for different barrels. 139 per barrel and 50 (1 time) for the gun. Best of all worlds.

If not, go w/the Ruger. Sturdiest wheelgun out there.