Considering a FN High Power - caliber?

RampantAndroid

I'm giving my glock to my brother as a gift once I have a trigger job and night sights done this month, and given that leaves me with no semi-auto, I'm thinking of what I might pick up in its place.

I'm a fan of .45ACP, and not to much of 9mm. The gun will mostly be for the range, but might see some carry time (my 41 magnum is otherwise what I use for defense) so I was considering the HP chambered for .40 S&W.

What are the possible drawbacks of this? Will reliability suffer since the gun was designed for 9mm? How is the trigger pull on the gun - can it compare to a nice Kimber 1911? Or be worked on to improve it?

I guess I'm looking for something more exotic - my 41 magnum was exactly driven by that desire, and my model 29 .44 mag was similar (model 29 over a 629) and I'm looking for something that'll be fun at the range and a good carry gun (for example, if I go hiking and want a gun with me.)

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Servo

In the last 5 years or so I have seen only one Hi Power in .40 caliber. This version may have been discontinued. Even if still in production the number of pistols made could be rather small so it may be hard to find unless you are willing to pay the price.

My Hi Powers are all 9mm so I have no idea how well a Hi Power in 40 will hold up. Some will say a 9mm Hi Power should not be fed +P ammo since it will stress the pistol too much. If that is true, then is a 40 a good idea?

I am satisfied with the trigger work that has been done on my Hi Powers. I do not like 3 pound triggers on any pistol. I am satisfied with 5 or 6 pounds as long as it is crisp with no creep. I suppose an expert gunsmith can get a Hi Power trigger to be nearly as good as a 1911 but the Hi Power trigger linkage is such that it is not that easy to do.

If I wanted a .40 pistol I would look for one that was designed to handle the cartridge from the beginning. Some pistols are overbuilt in their original caliber so they may be just fine when adapted to the 40. I just feel better knowing that the gun was designed in the first place to handle a certain cartridge.

MLeake

Servo, the restriction on +P 9mm in the BHP is for MkII and earlier, with forged frames.

When FN/Browning introduced the .40, they re-engineered the slide. It's cast in the MkIII and later, but much stronger. I haven't heard of failure issues with the .40.

Edit: Link to an article on this by the late Stephen A. Camp, noted authority on Hi Powers, very nice gentleman, and badly missed TFL member - http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/07/does-my-hi-power-have-forged-or-cast.html

I know one gun store owner in NC who likes to convert .40 BHP's to 9mm, on the premise that they should be virtually indestructible. He shoots them more than anything else, or did the last time I saw him.

Pilot

Nothing wrong with a 9MM. Get the caliber the gun was originally designed.

The .40 Hi Powers are fine also, but are larger and heavier to accomodate the round which I think makes the pistol loose a bit of its sleekness. YMMV.

RickB

I like 1911/.45 for power and HP/9mm for capacity. You lose some of both with the HP in .40, but I wouldn't feel unarmed if that's what I had! My 9mm has a nice trigger as HP triggers go, but you'll never get a HP trigger to feel as good as a good 1911 trigger. I think Browning (FN) did a much more complete job of turning an existing 9mm design into a .40 than did most manufacturers, so I wouldn't be too concerned that aspect of it.

WVsig

My Hi Powers are all 9mm so I have no idea how well a Hi Power in 40 will hold up. Some will say a 9mm Hi Power should not be fed +P ammo since it will stress the pistol too much. If that is true, then is a 40 a good idea?

I am satisfied with the trigger work that has been done on my Hi Powers. I do not like 3 pound triggers on any pistol. I am satisfied with 5 or 6 pounds as long as it is crisp with no creep. I suppose an expert gunsmith can get a Hi Power trigger to be nearly as good as a 1911 but the Hi Power trigger linkage is such that it is not that easy to do.

If I wanted a .40 pistol I would look for one that was designed to handle the cartridge from the beginning. Some pistols are overbuilt in their original caliber so they may be just fine when adapted to the 40. I just feel better knowing that the gun was designed in the first place to handle a certain cartridge.

Absolute false info about the BHP in 40 S&W and not being able to handle +P ammo. All MKIII can handle +P without any issues. Their cast frames will hold up without problems. The frame was strengthened when they introduced the 40 S&W version. Also older BHPs can handle +P ammo. It is a complete myth that they cannot. I shoot + from my 1972 without issues. If you shoot 5K + you might have some issue but honestly not many of us do that.

The 40 S&W as others have pointed out is beefed up. They are heavier and "designed" to handle the 40 S&W round. The MKII frame rails warped but I have never heard of a frame failure with the 40 S&W BHP.

All that said I personally do not like them. They do not have the characteristics I love about the BHP. They are bulky in the hand. If you really want one there e are used 40 S&W BHPs everywhere just look around.

A good smith like Action Works, Wild West Guns, Novak, Yost or C&S can get you a nice trigger pull on a BHP. IIRC you can get is down to about 3.5 to 4 lbs and clean but will not have the resest of a 1911.

Last edited:

Andy Taylor

I love the HP in 9mm. They did do quite a bit of redesgn for the .40, and I have never heard of any issues with them. As the .40s are a bit "chunkier" than they 9mms, they seem to loose some of the charm of the HP, at least to me. Later 9mms have no issues with +Ps. Also the .40 was not around long and should you need parts, they might be hard to get.
A HP trigger can never be made as nice as a 1911 trigger can. Indiviual HPs may be nicer than individual 1911s, but due to the design of the trigger a 1911's trigger can always be made nicer. Remove the stupid MDS in the HP and the trigger will improve greatly.

The .40 Hi Powers are fine also, but are larger and heavier to accomodate the round which I think makes the pistol loose a bit of its sleekness. YMMV.

Last edited:

dogtown tom

If you want it as a range gun get the 9mm...cheaper to shoot.

RampantAndroid : How is the trigger pull on the gun - can it compare to a nice Kimber 1911? Or be worked on to improve it?
Two entirely different trigger designs. While the HP trigger can be improved it isn't a 1911 trigger.

MLeake ....When FN/Browning introduced the .40, they re-engineered the slide. It's cast in the MkIII and later, but much stronger.
Only the frame is cast....the slide is forged.

WVsig.....They are bulky in the hand.
The .40 and 9mm have the exact same grip frame....shouldn't feel bulky unless you added extra fat grips on yours.:D

If you get a .40 you can always get an aftermarket three lug barrel and shot 9mm.

sirgilligan

You state you do not like the 9mm round.
If you want a FN Hi-Power or maybe a Browning Hi-Power then .40 is your choice (since you eliminated the 9mm).

All have stated correctly. Hi-Power was modified for the .40.

Other suggestions... do you want single action? Don't care, SA/DA/DAO?

If you like metal frames and slides, look at the CZ-USA line up. I can't afford one right now, but if I had the extra cash I would get one in a heart beat and the prices are right.

I like the looks of external hammers, so striker fire isn't appealing (and I am not saying that a Glock isn't great, I think they are great). I like the looks of the FNX line up. SA/DA, external hammer, safety and decocker, lots of appealing things for me that you might like.

I have two Hi-Powers (9mm) and I will get more. If you would reconsider the 9mm then you would more likely find a Hi-Power sooner. There have been some talk about some Israeli Hi-Powers that have recently came on the market.

Good luck.

WVsig

I have two Hi-Powers (9mm) and I will get more. If you would reconsider the 9mm then you would more likely find a Hi-Power sooner. There have been some talk about some Israeli Hi-Powers that have recently came on the market.

The recent round of Izzys have come and gone.

The .40 and 9mm have the exact same grip frame....shouldn't feel bulky unless you added extra fat grips on yours.

Bulky not just in terms of the grip size it has more to do with the overall weight of the gun. It balances and points differently for me. BHPs wear slim grips.

AustinTX

Like a 1911 in 9mm or .40, a Hi-Power in .40 just doesn't sound right to me. I'm sure it works fine, but any additional Hi-Powers I buy will be in the gun's original chambering.

SHNOMIDO

I would get a hi power in 9mm, and im a bit of a .40 fanboy.

It is like the definitive 9mm, if you want a 40 theres lots of options. Id recommend a CZ 75 (i realize its a different number but i cant remember what it is) or a FN FNP/FNX.

MLeake

CZ75 comes in .40. There are other models of CZ in .40, but the CZ75 has .40 options.

However, while the CZ is an excellent weapon, it's not that similar to a BHP. From the side, it looks somewhat related. From the top, it's much thicker. Balance is different; trigger has more travel. Mechanical workings are very different.

I've owned both (in 9mm), and recommend either, but they are very different handguns.

bdb benzino

All these people saying that the Hi-Power can not have as nice of a trigger as a 1911, but mine is just as sweet. I have a FEG PJK-HP with the mag diconnect removed and a C&S hammer and sear. The trigger pull on that thing is amazing! It may be harder to attain than a 1911, but it is possible to be as good or almost as good as a sweet 1911 trigger pull.;)

FairWarning

Shooting a nice, sleek BHP in its original 9mm is one of the shooting world's great pleasures. And there are plenty great rounds for 9mm. If I hadn't bought mine many years ago, I would do it agian, in spite of whatever the latest polymer gadget is...

RampantAndroid

I have a FEG PJK-HP with the mag diconnect removed and a C&S hammer and sear.

How hard is it to get this work done? I've read of the mag disconnect being removed, and that not many gunsmiths will try it?

Given that I'm not too keen on the polymer guns right now, and I want a semi, I think I may given in to my dislike of 9mm and grab an BHP in 9mm soon. How is the gun as a carry piece? Is it recommended? About the same as a 1911?

Thanks!
RA

Edit: I see some new Mk 3s, and tons of used guns as well, varying models. What should I be looking for here? I have an aversion to used guns, simply because I don't know the condition (on gun broker) but I have to say I'm no fan of the new all black BHPs (needs some wood on it, which I'm sure I can add later.) Is an SFS model worth it? Or is it just extra junk being added in ;)

Last edited: