Considering a budget snubby

pmeisel

Would like a model 19 or Colt Lawman, but unless I happen on a used bargain the budget won't stretch that far.

Charter, Taurus, Rossi -- preferences?

aarondhgraham

Charter Arms,,,

A lady friend of mine has had extremely good performance from her Charter undercover,,,
The trigger is smoothing out every time she takes it out to the range,,,
I've not had near the good experience with two Taurus revolvers,,,
Very hard triggers that never got any better.

She likes her Undercover so well that she bought a Pathfinder in .22 as a companion to the .38 Special.

I have no experience with a Rossi.

Aarond

DMZX

You did not mention how much you had budgeted for a snubby, but you could probably find a Ruger LCR for just a bit more than a any Charter/Taurus/Rossi. They come with excellent triggers, which is important on a snub.

Armscor M206. .38 Special only, NOT .357 Magnum. Near clone of the Colt Detective Special. Sells NEW for around $200, and has a lifetime warranty.

They are very solid, no-frills revolvers with a much better trigger than Taurus junks ever dreamed of having.

dECl5UM4ydpEVwea-Sh7gHmjgWO0zZL25W6ikJpKLkatHn7EMF2tPwxOp5NY9kkqhr0Cd_9U2SZoh2eKe1xew4kT-klQDZmehtEfl482goPRMV_eCduXN9YyrqARviKmVmvdN1ZXdpBvMgo9shx61g

Here ya go: $202 from Sniper Country
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=2066

WildBill45

But a quality used gun over a new cheaper gun!

If possible, buy a used quality gun first. The larger the bore, the fewer the rounds through it in most cases. You can pick up .38 snubnose style in the major brands, Colt, Ruger, or Smith, for reasonable prices. The more worn they look, the cheaper they are! Cops usually have bluing worn guns because they carry them everyday. They are still high quality, but ugly ... sometimes your best bet. I know a few women who meet that same high standard!:D

lee n. field

Would like a model 19 or Colt Lawman, but unless I happen on a used bargain the budget won't stretch that far.

Given what people report paying for Model 19s now...

Charter, Taurus, Rossi -- preferences?

I have a Taurus 605. It's good. Taurus has a rep of being a crapshoot.

If I were to do it now, I think I'd try to swing a Ruger LCR.

Really don't like the looks of the LCR...

I don't either, but I'd still get one.

Crazy88Fingers

Buy American! (Charter)

They have a .44 Special snub-nose that's decently priced. And from what I've read their quality is on it's way up again under new ownership. I just need to find a gun shop around here that carries something other than Glocks to check one out...

CajunBass

I paid a little over $200.00 back in the summer, for this old Stratford Charter. Made in the early 70's as best I can guess, it's a good shooter. If you can find one, grab it.

100_0174.jpg

I replaced the little wooden grips with these from the current Charter production.

WildBill45

CajunBass

You can't beat a deal like that! I may keep an eye open for such a deal. It would make a great trunk gun, that I could grab if unarmed forever social reason, and then find a need for speed, a 158 grainer at 800 fps!!!:)

ARDogman

I picked up a nib smith 642 for $300 a week ago, guy my dad knew bought it and hadn't fired it. Buy from a private party, u'll get better quality for less $!

brabham78

I'm not sure if you've noticed yet, but Smith & Wesson have lowered the prices on their light weight J frames by quite a lot. Their 642 ,442, ect, are going for $370 (new) at some of the gun shops I've been in recently.

Kreyzhorse

You get what you pay for. Charter, Taurus and Rossi are pretty hit or miss with their reliability. I'd suggest a used S&W or a Ruger. Even used you likely get a much better gun than you would with a new Charter, Taurus or Rossi.

Deaf Smith

First choice is a used but tight speed six or Smith M10/64 2 inch lke these below.

attachment.php

And a Smith J frame like the one below (or the Colt .380 if you have the $$.)

attachment.php

Then a Taurus or Rossi or Charter arms.

Look around, now and then a good one can be found.

Attachments

• Pair of .38s.JPG
    Pair of .38s.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 5,025
  • PairofAces.JPG
    PairofAces.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 528

franco45

Charter Arms makes a reliable revolver at a decent price. I owned a first generation Undercover and now own a new Undercover. They both shoot well and are accurate. A friend owns my first one. Stay away from Charco and Charter 2000 guns though.

Glenn E. Meyer

Friend of mine shot a new Charter 38 for a two day snubby course. Worked well for him and he liked the design. Just one data point but that's that.