Considering a 1st AK-47 Purchase. Advice?

FunGramps

I've done quite a bit of reading on the AK, and there's almost too much info as well as biased ads towards one assembler or manufacturer, milled -vs- stamped, etc.

I'm looking for one with a wood stock platform, and as reliable and well-made as I can get.

Why do I want one? Because Uncle Joe doesn't want me to have it. And I just like firearms, and have as long as I can recall. I enjoy them for their art and function. I own an AR-15, so that's taken care of.

I did make the mistake of buying a new milled Norinco MAK 90 back in the day for $400.00. Kept it a short time. It was an ugly sucker with the thumbhole stock, never fired it, and sold it within a year. Baaad mistake! Those ugly suckers are EXPENSIVE now.

Okay, so any AK gurus have some advice for me on my (hopefully) new acquisition? I'm willing to pay top dollar for the right AK.

Thanks in advance!

chadio

Can't say it is the best, but it is certainly the one I want...

It took me forever to fall for the AK, and then it took me forever to find the one I want, the one for me.. I still don't have one, because pricing has been a bit over the top.

Zastava ZPAP M70.

Small Arms Solutions (Chris Bartocci) and Military Arms Channel have utoob clips on this rifle.

chadio

FWIW - I absolutely do not claim to be an AK guru. The Zastava has a few key features that I like:

1) 1.5 mm receiver
2) bulged trunion
3) chrome lined barrel
4) optic mount on the receiver which a person may or may not use one day
5) fit and finish of the wood and metal are quite nice

Good luck finding the right rifle for you, again - I am certainly no expert, I hope some of them chime in here so we can both learn something.

stagpanther

I have a PSAK 47 and find it works fine for me--even though it gets no love from many purists. I've shot a Zestava, indeed a very sweet AK IMO.

FunGramps

Thanks. I just talked with a well-versed gun dealer in my area who said that Zastava M70 is a well-made AK, one of the better ones, and unless you're out to pound thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, their stamped receiver is just fine. He said he wouldn't hesitate in buying one if he were in the market. He just sold his last AK, but I've been looking at Gun websites.

The other option is to by a Zastava complete kit, but I'm not sure what a gunsmith will charge to assemble it for me.

Last edited:

stagpanther

The Zestava I shot had an excellent tuned muzzle brake (stock with the gun) which dampened the recoil impulse out that is transmitted back to the shooter, I found it as easy to shoot and stay on target with as an AR firing 55fmj.

FunGramps

The Zestava I shot had an excellent tuned muzzle brake (stock with the gun) which dampened the recoil impulse out that is transmitted back to the shooter, I found it as easy to shoot and stay on target with as an AR firing 55fmj.
Nice to know. Thanks!

101combatvet

I have a Norinco, and it is as good as any other AK on the market unless you're looking for a gold-plated one. I've shot about every variant, also qualified with the Vz 58 while working with the Czech Army. I bought my AK back in the day because I was required to qualify with it. I shoot it often since I have a lot of ammo stockpiled.

NYPD13

Have a Palmetto State AK. Excellent quality, made in USA, accurate, reliable. Best part, didn't need to zero the sights right out of the box. That was a first for me.

DubC-Hicks

For the price, I still recommend a WASR-10 or an RH10. Romanian made, with a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel. Zastavas are also great for an import, but keep in mind Yugo AKs take some different parts than standard AKMs, especially stocks and handguards.

The PSAK-47s are also very solid for a US made AK, and Atlantic Firearms put out good rifles too.

Shadow9mm

Personally, stamped, milled is too heavy with no real benefit other than asthetics imho. Beyond that, the aks I have experience with are no longer availabl, but I miss my arsenal sgl

kymasabe

It's been a long time since I was in the AK game. My favorite was an ArmoryUSA gun I had, U.S. made receiver assembled with Bulgarian parts. I put a Krebs peep sight on it, great gun.
If I were looking to get into AK's again, I'd look at Palmetto's offerings, or I'd look for an Arsenal gun, or maybe an unmolested Saiga.

FunGramps

Thanks everyone. I made my decision and just ordered a Zastava M70 full stock rifle with wood furniture.
Best price I found was through DK firearms for $999.00 plus $29.00 shipping. And it was in stock. Crazy expensive regardless.
Oh well. They won't get cheaper, and soon enough they won't be allowed to sell them at all under the new and growing regime.

Again, thanks, and I appreciate all of your input! :)

bamaranger

waiting

I'm waiting to see what AK prices do in the next few months. Provided there is no big legislative scare, I am thinking that the Exec Action against Russian ammo may drive AK prices a bit lower as ammo availability fluctuates.

Steel case import x39mm ammo in my area is up in price, but I think I see AK prices dropping.....a little.

jetinteriorguy

Just find another MAC90, easy enough to change the furniture. I’ve been banging away with mine for 30+ years, never a single malfunction. It’ll never leave my possession.

bamaranger

poly tech

I have heard the Mak90 poly tech's described as the sole "mil spec" AK's and ever indication is they are great rifles. They sold for peanuts when first available.

These days, a Mak90 can bring close to two grand or more easily. For that price, you can buy two WASR's or 3 VSHkA's and one of them will likely last more rounds than most of us will put through one, especially given the currrent (though hopefully improving) ammo situation.

jetinteriorguy

I haven’t paid any attention to prices and didn’t realize the MAC’s have gone up so much. I got mine for $118.00 back in the day. And just like SKS’s, I should have bought a dozen as an investment. Ah well.

Nodak1858

I haven’t paid any attention to prices and didn’t realize the MAC’s have gone up so much. I got mine for $118.00 back in the day.
I think that's about what I paid for mine. A buddy of mine went right after we turned 18, he bought an SKS I got a MAC. Glad I did that, still have it, have shot untold amounts of ammo from it. Still looks new inside and out. And yeah I wish I have spent every dime I had at the time buying more of them. Great rifles

bamaranger

over

Yeah, those days are over. I can remember guys coming out of gun shows with a 1200 rd case of ammo and an SKS, and not paying much over $100. A Mak90 and a case would run right around $200.

I just today priced a VSKA locally, poly stock........$659