Consealed carry

CrustyFN

I was wondering if you can get a consealed lisence in many states or only the state you live in. I just bought my first gun, a Ruger Mark III. I have made some calls to different law enforcements to find the leagel way the transport my gun from home to the range. From talking to friends it sounded like it would be worth getting the lisence just to make it easier to drive with my gun in the truck. From what I understood from the local law and neighboring state where I will be shooting also was to keep my gun in a box on the seat unloaded and the ammo in the glove box. Does this sound fairly normal? Thanks,
Rusty:confused:

croyance

Some states recognize the concealed carry licenses of others (reciprocity). Look up the laws of your neighboring states.

As for normal, many states would say that the gun must be inaccessable to the driver or passengers (trunk) kept seperate from ammunition. States without concealed carry laws, or ones that make it difficult to get one, might also say that ammo can't be loaded up in speed loaders or magazines.

Willy T

Gun unloaded, holstered in a locked box in your vehicle. Ammo in the trunk makes you legal in any state I can think of except those muni's where gun are illegal in any form.

croyance

You will still be legal to pass through those areas though. No meandering around with that stuff in the trunk.

smince

Your Attorney General site should (maybe) have a list of states that recognize your home state permit. Ours and many other AG sites I've looked at list these.

CrustyFN

Thanks for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated. I live in West Virginia and will also be shooting in Ohio. I looked on some of the sites recomended above and found out that they don't recognize each others lisence. I did get the same answer from officials in both states on how to carry my gun. I drive a pickup truck with a glove box that doesn't lock. They told me to keep the gun unloaded in a case on the seat of my truck and the ammo in the glove box and I will be ok. The dealer suggested that I also lock the box that my gun will be in. I will start there and see how it goes. Thanks,
Rusty