Confusion

PolarFBear

Had to jump out to the local gun store after a real "round" with a Face Book 2nd Amendment antagonist. Needed some "lead" therapy even if vicariously. Found two nice S&W revolvers: a 32 Winchester WCF @ $399 and a 32-20 @ $1099. What is the difference in the two rounds? I've developed an "itch" for a 32 of some kind. I reload most everything but no experience in 32's.

ligonierbill

Same round. What guns? Pretty big price difference. I shoot a Colt in 32-20 (Sam and his successors would never put "WCF" on their gun.)

PolarFBear

ligonierbill. I just didn't have time to take them out of the case for inspection. The shop was surprisingly busy (AR's were in demand) busy. The $399 version was the nicer of the two. It must have been re-blued looked real nice. The $1,099 version had seen SOME service. Definitely not re-blued. They looked the same to me but were labeled differently. Monday I'll give them a close inspection.

Don Fischer

What's the difference between those two and the 32 Long? I have a 32 Long, S&W mod 16 and I love the thing. Also have a 32 auto/short I seldom ever shoot, Savage mod 1917.

ligonierbill

I'm shooting a 6" Colt (Official Police) 32-20. The Police Positive would be 32 S&W Long (or Colt New Police). Police Positive Special was available in 32-20, as was the Army Special, but the OP said he was looking at S&W revolvers. I had a 1905 Hand Ejector S&W 32-20 at one time.

Since this is the reloading forum, I load the traditional 115 gr cast over Unique. I tried 90 Sierra JHC and 85 Hornady XTP, but the Std always ran high. So I load those in S&W Long and stick with the 115s in the big Colt.

jag2

Its a nice easy round to load. I liked the Rainier 115 plated but they shut down so most of the choices will be lead. I load for both pistol and rifles, obviously the rifles (Win 1892) can take a stronger round. I think eventually everyone used the term 32 WCF, not sure when but I have a Colt SAA circa 1907 that says 32 WCF. If you don't reload make sure the ammo its okay for pistol. I think all current commercial ammo is okay but there use to be some strong rounds that were for rifle only. Sorry I don't remember the exact wording, you should research a little more to be sure. Oh, and Starline for brass.

Don,

The 32-20/WCF is a small bottleneck rimmed round originally for black powder in rifles, subsequently chambered in revolvers as well. The cartridges you mentioned are straight-walled and usually seen only in revolvers or the wadcutter loads are shot self-loading pistols. The Wikipedia has a page on it.