Confused

jmr40

I'm a little confused as well. As far as I can tell it is sold as a handgun instead of a shotgun and that is how they get around it.

mapsjanhere

They are selling it as a hand gun, but I don't see anything in regards to rifling, what is the usual way to get around the SBS rule.

ShootistPRS

The firearm in question is not a shotgun by the ATFE definition. It was never designed to be fired from the shoulder. What keeps it from being an AOW is its length. It is at least 26 inches long over all. By definition it is not "easily concealed" and it is not a pistol. It is designed to be fired using two hands not one.
It skirts around all the definitions but as long as the ATFE is OK with it then it is good.

Kvon2

ShootistPRS is exactly right, it's totally fine as last night as it's at least 26 inches. I believe (and could definitely be wrong) but because it does not have a rifled barrel it can't be considered a handgun either.

FITASC

That elongated birds head grip gets the length right. Putting a standard vertical pistol grip makes it too short.

T. O'Heir

"...Overall Length: 26.3"..."
"...are jokes..." Not exactly funny. It was the GCA of 1968 that created the ATF and allows unelected civil servants to make law by regulation. The NFA is/was about keeping firearms out of the hands of the poor. $200 was an astronomical amount of money in 1934.

ShootistPRS

The ATF became a separate entity in 1972, July 1, under the direction of Rex Davis. Before that, as far back as 1791, the Department of Revenue covered the controls on the beverage alcohol and tobacco. Firearms became part of the job for the Department of Revenue with the NFA in 1934 in response to organized crimes use of automatic weapons and silencers. Places like Chicago, where it was almost commonplace to have full auto exchange between different criminal organizations on the street, added to the public outcry for constraints. It did make it more expensive to own full auto weapons but there were and are still lots of cheap guns for the "poor".

kozak6

It's not a handgun. It's a Title 1 other. It transfers like a pistol, but isn't one.

It's not an AOW because the ATF interpreted 26" as the bright line for "concealable", that they forgot to interpret a barrel length as well, and because (I think) they are too scared of the current administration to "fix" it.

I'm also curious why it isn't a DD.

Don Fischer

A guy I worked with in Alaska had a shotgun similar to that but the barrel was cut to 1/4" over legal. The butt stock was cut off and re-shaped as a pistol grip. He told me he carried it for bears. But I knew him a couple years and he not only never hunted but seldom wandered far from home either. But he loved that gun! I'm thinking it was a Mossberg 500 he'd cut down! Using it for home defense would work pretty well!