Confused by Enfield type1 mark3

GaryED50

Hi
I saw this beauty at my LGS but i've never seen one with those bands wrapped around it like this? was this a field thing done by a solider?
IMG-0044.jpg

MC 1911

They were wrapped like that for lauching grenades if I remember correctly. Possibly in Turkey for crowd control.

MikeG

The bolt through the forearm just behind the wrap points to India. I have a 1963 Ishapore No1 Mk3* that is like that.

44 AMP

Staff
Realizing that today, somebody will pay just about any price, I still think $950 is barking stupid.

For one thing, the wire wrapped grenade rifles have always been considered the LEAST desirable SMLE's. As pointed out, one of the grenade rifles in great condition will be about as good as a regular rifle in fair condition and few of the grenade guns are in great condition.

I've got a 1917 SMLE, bought from a friend a bit over 20years ago, for $125. Was a bit stunned to see one at an auction site last week with the price up over $500. Maybe it has something to do with that bad movie 1917 recently released, but $950 for an SMLE grenade gun, almost certainly used in Indian colonial service is just too much for my tastes.

Some fool with more money than brains will eventually find it and probably buy it for the asking price. We have an overabundance of those kind of people, it seems.