Confused by All The Shield Changes

claydoctor

I have had two Shields, a 9 mm, that I outfitted with TruGlo sights and a 45 , which I gave to my son. Recently, I was torn between a Sig P365XL and another Shield in 40 or 45. I decided to get the 45 Shield and figured, what the hell, splurge for the Performance Center version with the porting and better sights. So I start checking around and realize there is now a 2.0 version, which I remember reading about, when it was introduced but what's this about a 4 inch barrel version. I get all the gun mags and spend far too much time on the forums but I don't remember anything about a 4 inch version. Seems like a good idea though. So I order one, a 2.0, 45ACP, Performance Center version with the 4 inch barrel. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow but tonight it dawns on me from looking at stock photos on Gunbroker, this version does not appear to have porting. Have they eliminated porting from the Performance Center Shields ? Porting and upgraded sights were what made it a Performance Center model. Too many changes, not enough explanation ? :confused:

Forte S+W

The only difference between the M&P45 Shield 1.0 and 2.0 model is the slide markings, since the M&P45 Shield was the basis for the 2.0 models of the M&P9 Shield and M&P40 Shield.

The M&P45 Shield was the last chambering that the Shield was made available in, and it was outfitted with upgrades to the grip texture as well as some additional abbreviated front slide serrations, then upgrades were subsequently applied to the M&P9/40 Shields, which were then dubbed the M2.0 models.
So yeah, the M&P45 Shield was the original 2.0, and they've only added 2.0 to the M&P45 Shield's designation to prevent prospective buyers from mistaking it as an old/outdated model.

That being said, porting on a .45 seems superfluous considering that the .45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge, and the recoil of the .45 ACP is due to the mass/weight of the bullet as opposed to velocity, ergo porting wouldn't do much to reduce the felt recoil of the .45 ACP.

claydoctor

Agree with what you say but you didn't address the barrel length change or why I believe earlier 45 Performance Center Shields were ported and these newer ones are not ?

Forte S+W

The barrel length wasn't changed, they merely provided more options. Performance Center models are available with a 4" barrel/slide, but the standard 3" barrel length is also available.

I wasn't aware that they had dropped ported barrels, but I would assume the reason is as I said, porting on .45 ACP is superfluous.

Onward Allusion

It's not just the S&W Shields. Glock is worst.

All these mfrs want to gain market share but they don't realize that they're cannibalizing their own sales.

claydoctor

After repeated trips to the confusing S&W website, it seems there are now two 45 Performance Center 2.0 Shields. If you opt for the 4 inch barrel as I did, no porting. In order to have porting, one has to order the model with the 3.3 inch barrel. So why is porting "superfluous" on one and not the other ? Picked up mine today. Nice gun and I like the longer barrel, I guess, but no porting despite seller's description that it featured porting. Guess he was as confused as I am. :eek:

DMK

After repeated trips to the confusing S&W website, it seems there are now two 45 Performance Center 2.0 Shields.
There are 5 options, three 4" and two 3"

The Performance Center guns have their own options that aren't on the standard guns.

The optics ready 4" Shields are available either with or without a ported barrel. The non optics 4"Shield does not have the porting. But both 3" models do have porting and differ only in the sights.

I guess they see the non optics 4" guns as just a basic options guns with just the longer barrel.

Last edited:

dontcatchmany

I am also wondering why the barrel increase?????

I have two Shield 45s and one is a PC. The non-PC was accurate out of the box. The PC version is a tad better and the trigger is a little bit better.

Both are exceptional weapons and I have a hard decision daily as to which one to carry.....I actually have carried both at times...lol. And they both pocket carry well.

The porting is really not necessary and the ports could be a hindrance at night. The PC version does seem to get back on target a finstant quicker.

The PC comes with fiber optics, but I had to change my front sight to White from the original green. My old eyes could not see the green.....the white is like magic to my eyes.

I see no need for the longer barrel that has recently come out.

DMK

I am also wondering why the barrel increase?????
Longer sight radius, more velocity.

The 4" is only available in the Performance Center models, and you can also get the 3" as a Performance Center model if you prefer it more compact. Same options for all three calibers.

I tried pocket carrying a 3" Shield, but couldn't make that work for me so I only carry my Shields IWB. I like the added barrel length of my PC 4". My XDS is one of the now discontinued 4" barrel models as well.

Last edited: