Confused about Stoner.

garryc

From what I'm gathering, Stoner is a Midway house brand. Stoner barrels are made by ER Shaw. The barrels should be given 30-40 passes with JB bore polish before mounting with fresh paste every 10 passes.

I was thinking of using my CMMG and turning it into an 18 inch rifle, medium contour, length gas system with an A2 stock and a free float tube. I'd go heavy but with 223 I just don't see the advantage.

Where am I wrong?

Ibmikey

Your question is a bit confusing, do you want to use a Stoner barrel on this build? Is that why you were inquiring about Stoner quality?
The medium weight, mid gas, Stoner (Shaw) barrel cost my friend $89 bucks, was 4140 steel and non-chrome lined, 1/9 twist (if I remember Correctly). It would, and does, shoot connecting groups at 100 yds with 55gr American Eagle. Will it hold up to heavy use through rapid firing ? I guess only time will tell but he does not often shoot rapid mag dumps so that is in his favor. If you build the rifle you suggested take a look at Faxon barrels, 1/8 melonite treated, I have a half dozen AR's witth their barrels and love em'.

Ibmikey

I believe Shaw makes barrels for a number of assemblers, Mod 1Sales and Stoner were two names given me as Shaw produced. If this is the case the barrel I discussed earlier is a credit to them, I have a " truck gun" with a Mod 1 pencil barrel that is a real tack driver even though subject to more abuse than normal.

FrankenMauser

Read reviews, complaints, and after-action reports for the Stoner barrels.

Basing expected quality upon the E.R. Shaw rifle barrels won't work.

Just like Douglas, E.R. Shaw makes contract barrels to contract parameters. They may be nothing like the parent company's own product. Sometimes they're better. Sometimes they're worse. Sometimes they're more of a side-grade.
The Stoner barrels (if they are even E.R. Shaw barrels) will likely have a different quality of machining, rifling, crowning, and/or some other variable.

Read reports regarding the actual brand, rather than the contractor's brand.

garryc

Now I'm seeing a medium couture stainless barrel from Lothar-Walther at $199. That is inviting. Granted it's 16 inch, but 2" doesn't really make as much a difference as the reputation of the maker. I hear they make Spikes barrels and every spikes rifle I've fired was very accurate

FrankenMauser

Lothar-Walther may not be the name that you see on every match-winning rifle, but I believe they're good barrels.
And they do have a good reputation.

If I was given a choice between Lothar-Walther and something that I believed to be E.R. Shaw (regardless of contract quality), I'd take the L-W.

Metal god

I Bought this barrel http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...-hbar-contour-1-in-8-twist-20-stainless-steel for my service rifle build .

This 20" HBAR Contour Barrel is manufactured from 416R Stainless Steel and uses 5R Rifling with a 1 in 8" Twist. Additional features include a Rifle Length Gas Port, M4 Feed Ramps and 1/2"-28 threaded muzzle. Barrel extension and locator pin are both included and installed at the factory.

I do reload and have produced a load that has shot sub moa 10 shot groups but that does not seem to be the norm . Does it shoot well , yes . Is it a tack driver , no not by any stretch . I should add that I paid $70 dollars more for mine then the current price :mad: .

Anyways for these lower prices it's not bad but I wish I would have just back ordered a White oak barrel at the time .

At the time I heard they were ER shaw barrels as well but have not found anything that confirms that . I did here they were ER shaws factory seconds once but again found nothing that confirms that .

MarkCO

AR-Stoner is a Midway brand and I would not trust them. Have been through about a dozen of them and two were what I would call acceptable and some needed a lot of work on the extensions, gas ports and or muzzles. The actual bores seemed to be okay. There are just better barrels for the same or not much more $.