Confessions of a chronograph hater

Sevens

About a decade ago I bought a Chrony Beta Master even though I didn't "need" one. 95% or more of what I do is all handgun loading and I also don't need to make any particular power factor or velocity minimum. I bought the chronograph because I thought it would be interesting to see some velocities.

Since purchasing that Chrony, I quickly became a genuine hater. I called it "the fun sucker." This unit almost always measured the bullet speed, which was what I had asked it to do, but beyond the fact that it was fairly skilled at grabbing a velocity for me, the only other thing I liked was that it was able to pack away fairly small.

My list of complaints were long... mostly, I was annoyed at being limited to 10-shot strings maximum and I also found it truly obnoxious that I had as much computing power as the lunar excursion module from Apollo 11 but all of it was accessed through three clicky buttons on the face of the units and a cheap LCD display.

I spent every session with a pen and paper in hand until I eventually typed results in to a text file on my phone. It was aggravating and the antithesis of fun, smooth, easy, flexible and handy.

I always say that I only dabble in rifles but I've been doing a trip out west to hunt prairie dogs now for 10 years. And learning about bullet drop, advanced MOA reticles on a quality first focal plane scope, ballistic coefficients and all those associated goodies gave me much more appreciation for being able to accurately check the velocity of some loads. I was able to still use the Chrony Beta Master for that. Thankfully, I only needed a speed check and a few shots to confirm consistency and then buried back in to the basement with that evil unit.

Well, last fall we finally put a bullet in to that obnoxious unit. It felt like FREEDOM perhaps for the first time since it's maiden voyage. I recently replaced that Chrony Master Beta (heh, that's what I called it...) and as a dyed-in-the-wool chronograph hater, I certainly wasn't going to throw many hundreds at a LabRadar or any of the cutting edge options. Even a Magentospeed was not an option for me as most of my trappings will be handgun.

I bought the Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX and yesterday was my first session with it and after all these years, and just one single trip with this unit, I'm ready to repent, reform and stop hating the chronograph.

This sucker didn't miss a beat and I chronographed eighteen different loads, never missed even one shot and it sent every string directly to the app on my phone that's a free download with the unit, the app has all of my work logged, every shot, all the highs, lows, the average, the ES and the SD, even computes power factor and energy.

It was effortless, simple to use, intuitive, the definition of easy, fast and accurate.

Before the first trip with this chrono, I only asked to not LOATHE it, but by the time I was headed home, I frickin' loved it and my phone is bursting with (mostly, somewhat) valuable data.

Sorry that this love story ran to an excessive length. Before yesterday, I think you would be hard pressed to find a more rabid chronograph hater than me. I will tell you that I still firmly believe that folks are wrong when they tell new handloaders that a chronograph is a "must own", I loaded for 20 years of complete wonderful success without a chronograph and I'm certain it is not necessary for safety and for enjoyment of handloading.

It's certainly necessary if you need to make a velocity floor or a power factor and in this day and age, you are cheating yourself if you are a distance rifle guy and you aren't taking advantage of ballistic applications to help you easily smoke long range targets. With the help of ballistic software and a decent scope on my rifle, I can smoke golf balls at 300 yards and water bottles at 500 yards. I understand that the benchmark is a LOT higher for serious rifle folks, but this is a handgun guy talking, I shoot rifles probably 3 or 4 times each year if that.

Thanks for the read and any comments you have.

rclark

The chronograph is not a 'must' have for a new reloader. I did without one for years. Then I decided to start checking out different powders and the consistency of my revolver loads (about all I shoot is through revolvers). Might say I curious on what my loads were doing. Bought a green chrony (needs reset after 30 shots, not 10 as stated in above). It has worked great for years. Wrote down on paper the velocity after each shot in a notebook for 15 to 30 shot strings depending. At a glance you get a feel for the average velocity and consistency. Still, I went home after a test session and dutifully entered data in a spreadsheet that calculated ES, AVG, SD, Max, Min and such for posterity. I found the chronograph useful. Found a lot of acceptable and verified consistent accurate loads this way. Gave me confidence in what I was doing.

Now I see people get 'lazy' and have it send shoot data (and auto compute stats) to phones or bring out laptops.... (I try to not bring either to the range) . Where is the good o' pencil and paper ;) :) ? Oh well, each to there own! Ha!

Sevens

The blue color Chrony Beta Master is for certain limited to six unique 10-shot strings, regardless of the experience of the poster above. The unit I hated for a decade was probably pinched off in 2010 or so. It may be sport to conclude that someone is lazy but you drive past rude and go head-long in to wank if you confuse the model and make assumptions that I don’t know the unit I own no matter the experience you may have with a different model.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015307343
60-shot memory (divided into 6 numbered strings from 2 to 10 shot each, with one set of statistics for each string)

gwpercle

" Fun Sucker " That's a great term and a Great post Sevens !!!

My fun sucker was a " dial caliper" ... 45 years reloading and never owned oned an never measured nothing . A $35.00 caliper from Cabela's and I started measuring everything ...
I mean obsessing over every dimension , deviation , discrepancy . case length , OAL , COAL ... My God it completely sucked all the fun out of reloading ...
I had to put it away and go back to my 1967 basic reloading methods ...
So Much Happier without the fun sucker ...
I never could afford a chrony ...and I'm glad I never got one ...just like you , it would have been a Fun Sucker .
Thanks fo Posting ... enjoyed the read ... and the chuckle
Gary

RC20

Setting up for rifle was my issue and annoying as hell (as well as to and for the other shooters who patiently twiddled their thumbs)

Yes I dinged it one day, did not kill it, but 2 years latter it died.

Well, lo many years ago I had a chain drive Honda 750 (wonderful machine, good power, reliable). Chain was worn out, so I got the best Duckworth O Ring Chain ($50, crica 1973, phew).

Wiped that chain out with glacial silt road (10 miles before pavement). I cried and bought a cheap chain. Swore never again, shaft drive or nothing.

3 Shaft drive cycles latter, I was very wise to do so (I might break my arm patting myself on the back).

Ergo, I ain't screwing around, sold a gun and bought the Lab Radar. Mostly it confirms things like a wild shot is not a velocity issue, gets me ball park for other powder crosses.

No regrets (made my own base). Sucks the carry case is extra (danged Canadian!) used my backup Li Ion battery pack (for the vehicles and cycles for boost start) a while and then bought a chargeable battery for the LabRadar, only way to go.

LabRadar easy to setup, no doubt on velocity accuracy, slows me down to take data and I shoot better for doing so. Love it. Yes it has a few foibles (danged Canadians) but once I learned its oddities, it gets setup any time I go shooting which is once a week if possible.

No I don't have a smart phone, yes I shoot mostly rifle.

Sevens

Haha the Chrony brand (gone now) was also Canadian.

The LabRadar sounds amazing but there are three reasons that it’s not a good choice for me and two of the three reasons are pretty big.

ed308

Love my Labradar. But that first one has to be price. And price isn’t cheap. Then handling all the data it produces is the second issue.. I download the data into a spreadsheet.

Nick_C_S

Coincidence.

Sevens, Interesting coincidence . . . Today, for the first time since 8/13/20, I used my Chrony MasterBeta :p. And judging by your time stamp, likely while you were composing your post :).

And yes, while I was going through the drudgery of writing down each velocity on my pre-printed form (Excel file I made - nothing special), I literally - literally - thought of you and your "10 shot maximum" pet peeve. I was doing 20 shot strings today, so it was necessary to write down the velocities.

But truth be, I always write down the velocities - regardless of length of strings. And while I can empathize with your thoroughly-mentioned pet peeve, I myself, do not share it. i.e. it doesn't bother me. But believe me, I have plenty of my own pet peeves, so I would never downplay someone else's. My hypocrisy only goes so far.

It's great to hear you found a chronograph that is willing to play nice with your needs. Must feel liberating.

Until this string, I didn't know that Chrony is no longer in business (if I read it right). I guess I better not shoot this third one :p.

hounddawg

A couple of tips

When shooting off the benchrest or bipod for setup - get a either a universal boresight or take any chamber cartridge boresight like this one https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2...BxWm7xWpZxKtJmtUDck2hN_KBYxWvYvhoCE4gQAvD_BwE

and glue a magnet https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Ma...cphy=9010538&hvtargid=pla-1391621906602&psc=1 from any hardware store to the back with epoxy. When you set up your target, aim the rifle for the lowest point you will be shooting pop the magnetized boresight on the muzzle and use your hand or a piece of cardboard to setup the chrony so the bullet will pass dead center over the sensors about 5 inches or so over the chrony.

Use the sunshades even if it is cloudy, I made a extended sunshade with foamboard which clips over the two smaller sunshades with some clips or clothespins. I also recomend a tape measure to ensure the chrono is exactly 12 feet from the edge of the bench. That way you always get the bullet at the same point in it's trajectory trip after trip

replace the metal up rights for the sunshades with 1/8 inch wooden dowels. If a shot does go wide the wood simply goes bye bye, hit the metal and the chrono gets knocked over. I discovered that before I came up with the magnet/boresight trick

I love my Prochronos, had a Labradar for a month, hated it more every range trip and returned it to Brownells. First Prochrono died after 8 years of living in the back of a Wrangler on trips to the range on dirt roads. Bought the LR as a replacement, then replaced the LR with my current prochrono. Since they paved the road to my range I expect it to live forever

Last edited:

Sevens

:D Haha love your post, Nick.

Truth is, I enjoy poring over the data and entering all kinds of notes in to my log at home, in my gun room on the PC with a full screen and keyboard in front of me. I tried to make it obvious in my post #4 above that when it comes to shooting, handloading and all facets of our hobby, I'm insulted if someone suggests that I am lazy.

When I am on the gun range, I want to exercise my gear and my ability, I do not care to click chrono buttons, write things down on a notepad or type a constant stream of numbers and notes in to my phone. The ProChrono DLX and the app they've written for it simply records everything and it even reads each shot out loud to me with an adjustable delay (I have left it at one second and that's pretty good).

What I would and would not wish to do when I'm at the gun range would probably be extremely different if my life included a home and land where I could shoot outside my back door. Alas, though my life is genuinely blessed, shooting for me is a two-hour round trip drive and that means it's a planned and scheduled event and there's nothing simple nor easy about getting and executing a range day.

I'm not lazy because I don't want to write down chrono results. This setup allows me to do the shooting at the range and then use all of the data at home. It has absolutely transformed my white-hot seething hate for the chronograph.

So this discussion is part "personal journey" :) but it's also a suggestion if anyone has a chronograph that annoys them, and specifically, if they own a Chrony brand chronograph because I have some experience with what SUCKS about that particular brand of chronograph! :D

44 AMP

Staff
I bought a Chrony back when the price came down to just under $100 (in the mid 80s, if I remember right). One of the red ones, that folded up, and ran off a 9V battery. One shot readout, nothing else.

What it taught me, while interesting, was that I didn't really need a chronograph.

It did point out very well that the guns and loads I shot were going to be a bit different from what was in the books. And that different guns, with the same barrel lengths would give different velocities firing the same ammunition.

Usually the difference was small, but sometimes it was 100fps, which, while not common, was not unheard of.

I've seen shorter barrels shoot faster than longer ones, and vice versa. I've seen examples of standard cartridges coming within a whisker of matching the velocity from a magnum. Again, rare, but it has happened.

I don't load, or shoot for the "nth degree" of accuracy, I don't track my loads by extreme spread or standard deviation. I don't care about those things, what matters to me is what my shots do downrange.

I don't compete in matches, don't have any "target" guns, other than an inherited Colt Govt model. I have hunting rifles, some milsurps and some varmint guns. And since I get MOA or less with my varmint guns without doing any of the extra steps touted so often on the internet (I don't "bump shoulders, or load to X of the lands, etc) it works for me.

I packed away my Chrony a couple decades ago, (maybe longer, I forget), not even sure where it is, right now, and have no plans to find it, or ever use it again.

IF its something useful for you, enjoy it. For me, its not worth using. (and I don't consider it something a beginning reloader "needs" at all)

Nick_C_S

Sevens, I - and most of us here - know you're anything but lazy. There is no shortage of your posts where you show beyond a doubt that you load your own ammunition as a craft, not just a way to have less expensive ammo.

There was a several year stretch when I was chronographing a lot. And although I didn't mind doing it (even with the masterbeta's shortcomings), those times I when I did go to the range without the chronograph, it did indeed seem like a treat. Yes, that equipment was a buzz kill compared to just going out to enjoy a day of shooting. I definitely get that. And I too enjoy crunching numbers and logging data on my full-size computer, complete with a real keyboard (such as right now).

When a day to the range is two hours of driving, that changes one's approach, no doubt about it. My old home in Lincoln California was a whopping three miles from the range - an eight minute drive, taking my sweet time. (And it was a sweet range - first class.) That makes things a lot different from two hours.

Now I live in Idaho. My range is 20 miles away - still not bad - but not nearly as convenient as before. (And not nearly as nice - dare I say "rustic," lol.) I've only been there twice so far. Range days for me now have also become something that I need to plan for a bit more (not to compare to two hours of driving). Not so much because of the distance, but because of the weather. The climate here is much cooler and it's windy most all the time. For instance, I can't go tomorrow because it will be very windy ("very windy" happens at least once a week here - or so it seems so far), so I'm planning on Friday.

So I totally get what you're saying. And if the day comes when I need another chronograph, make no mistake, I'll be looking for something that works better at the range too.

zeke

Wouldn't work up heavy loads without one, am considering it a safety factor. Never obsessed about the statistics, only occasionally shooting more than a 5 shot string. It is rarely used now adays, all commonly used loads have been established.

44 AMP

Staff
Friend of mine loved his 270 Weatherby, until he got a chronograph, and it told him that his 26" WM was a whopping 30fps faster than his 22" .270 Win.

It really all depends on the gun you are shooting. I've shot loads that didn't go as fast as the books said they should, and I've shot loads that clocked significantly faster than listed book velocities, (and both were safe in MY guns)

rclark

{10 shot strings}... regardless of the experience of the poster above.
I did say mine is a 'green' Chrony :) .

Didn't know Chrony went out of business. I really like the compactness of the unit.

Also as above I hardly ever get mine out any more as I've established a good set up working loads for all the revolver/pistol cartridges I shoot. It is there though if I ever need it again.