Confessions and a plug for the Ruger P95

JohnKSa

Administrator
Ok, I confess. After shooting the IISHOT1000 earlier this year I didn't immediately clean the Ruger stainless P95DC that I used in the match. In fact, I stuck it in the safe and left it there.

I confess again. I bought this pistol used and took it right to the match without ever shooting it or cleaning it. It looked like the original owner had cleaned it but I didn't really do much other than perform a basic function check.

Tonight I finally dug it out of the safe and did a detail strip & clean. It was easily the dirtiest pistol I've ever cleaned. Some was built up from the 1100-1200 rounds I fired through it and some was left over from the previous owner. It was absolutely filthy. Carbon was built up badly and was so stubborn that in places I had to use a small screwdriver to chip it away. I also found out that the previous owner appears to have used some price expedient cleaner on the gun that damaged the polymer frame in places--fortunately that was purely cosmetic. And, besides the carbon fouling there was a good bit of grit/dust in the inner workings of the pistol which was left there by whatever the previous owner used it for.

The bore, surprisingly, cleaned up very rapidly with much less effort than I expected.

In spite of the fouling and grit in the gun, it only malfunctioned twice during the thousand round test using WWB ammunition and that was on the last stage after firing 969 rounds. AND, it only malfunctioned when using the slide release to load the first round from a fully loaded magazine. I typically use the slingshot method to load a round from the magazine, but the match was specifically designed to try to exercise all the gun's capabilities so on some stages using the slide release was mandatory. "Slingshotting" the slide resulted in no malfunctions. In fact, I shot another 100-200 rounds after the test was over using the slingshot method to load the first round and experienced no more malfunctions.

There was an amazing buildup of carbon fouling on the feedramp of the gun. I ended up having to use a steel bristled "toothbrush" to get it all removed. I should have taken pictures...

I continue to be impressed with the P95 which is why I recently recommended one to a family member for a self-defense pistol and why I have a Ruger P95 doing home defense duty even though I own much more "refined" and much more expensive pistols. It's not the best thing on the market, but in its price range (and even up to double its normal retail price range) I think it's hard to pick a better basic self-defense pistol.

I should point out that I have no experience with the new "generation" of P95 pistols with the textured grip and the accessory rail. Mine are the old style P95's with the smooth frame and no accessory rail. I bought them used--typically for a good deal less than $300. This one was $275 and came with a holster and several spare magazines.

Whirlwind06

I had a similar experience with a P89 I bought it used and it was well used. I cleaned up and shot many rounds though it. I started to have a few miss fires and detail strip the slide. The amount of curd in the firing pin channel was amazing. The fact that it did function 99.9% of the time in that condition is a testament to Ruger P series pistols design.

Walt Sherrill

I think the P95 was one of my first (non-.22) semi-autos. Mine was very reliable and accurate. I had a local gunsmith do a trigger job, and he did, but complained that there was "no there there" -- implying that the design didn't leave a gunsmith with much to tweak.

I got the hots for a SIG and eventually sold it. Probably should have kept it, as it was accurate and reliable, and a good gun to have around.

Rich Miranda

John, glad to hear such a great summary attesting to the ruggedness and reliability of the P95, especially from someone well-respected on this board. I could holler all day, but one word from you - well, you get the point.

By the way, what type of ammo were you using? Just curious.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I was using WWB (Winchester White Box--bulk packed Winchester USA from Wal-Mart). I shoot a lot of WWB and normally it's not this nearly this cruddy. I don't know if I just got a particularly dirty batch of WWB or if the high humidity (it was raining lightly for most of the match) somehow contributed to the abnormal fouling buildup.

One other thing I like about the P95 is that it's pretty simple to detail strip for a really thorough cleaning. One of these days I need to run through the procedure step by step, write it down and post it.

Kyo

good story. Let me share one with you about my friend's uncles P944 .40.
I was in the garage when I saw it, and I asked if it was his. He said yea, and he told me he was about to get it cleaned at my friends house. I asked if I could take it apart and I did. Man was it dirty!
He bought it 7 years ago used. He had never cleaned it. Even when he bought it, he didn't clean it then, or up until 4 months ago that night. He told me he went to the range to shoot about a hundred rounds maybe 4-5 times a year. Once every few months pretty much. That is 3500 rounds with no cleaning. He told me never had any problem with it. No nothing. Just bang. I was blown away.
+1 for rugers

Philo_Beddoe

Multiply registered, multiply banned troll.
My newer P95 (with rail) has been completely reliable and is accurate.

It doenst fit my hand as well as my CZ-75, nor is it as accurate, but for the money it can not be beat.

gotigers

I love my p89. It always feeds, always fires and always hits what i am aiming at. Big, ugly, heavy, but is awesome.

madmag

It always feeds, always fires and always hits what i am aiming at. Big, ugly, heavy, but is awesome.

You just described my P90.:)

I have lots of other guns, but most of the time it's the P90 seems that is loaded and ready to go. And mine also seems to have the habit of hitting what you aim at.....nice habit.:D

madmag

One other thing I like about the P95 is that it's pretty simple to detail strip for a really thorough cleaning. One of these days I need to run through the procedure step by step, write it down and post it.

Please do..........I assume about the same for the P90.

One thing for sure, the extractor has got to be about the most simple in the world to remove. I can have mine out in about 5 seconds.

cavediver27

++ Ruger P95DC ++

I own two of them and in my opinion the Ruger P95DC is one of the finest
9mm pistols available at any price. They are completely reliable, will consume any and all ammunition, are accurate and are built to last a lifetime or two.

You could have said "I have a Ruger" and left it at that as far as I am concerned. The rest goes without saying.

Next poster:
'Ruger recalls their firearms for minor problems every other manufacturer would deny and ignore, pays shipping both ways and sends you free magazines back, so I will never buy them.'

putteral

+1 on what cavediver27 said! Fellow Citrus Countyians must stick together plus my KP95 DC is my most reliable pistol I own!:D

Shadi Khalil

I've always wondered why you don't see many cops carrying Rugers or them being used by any of the number of Military's we arm. The are inexpensive, durable, reliable and proven.

Last edited:

madmag

They are cheap

There's the problem. I will use low cost as opposed to cheap. Government agencies don't like buying low cost stuff. Why spend $5 for a wrench when you can spend $500 for the same wrench.:p

BTW, I have seen photo's of P series pistols in use in Iraq (non US forces). I have no way of knowing how many that represents.....just the number in the photo's or more?

I think of my P90 as the GP100 of the semi world. Overbuilt, little on the heavy side, kinda bulky,.......but guess what I reach for when I think my life is on the line.:cool:

Last edited:

donmor53

Look...Rugers often get a bad rap from what I consider elite gun snobs. I've owned a P85, a stainless 89DC and currently own a P91Dc in .40. Countless rounds down range from the 9s and more than a few for the .40 and...gasp!...never once a malfunction.

In the P series...Ruger has made some really tough, durable and...in my case...extremely accurate autos...

CBH

I bought this used Ruger P95dc a few months ago, with three ten round mags, for $132.00. What I thought was kaolin dust (south Georgia has lots of kaolin mines, figured this might have been a security guard gun) turned out to be dried white latex paint. It was everywhere internally, the mag release would not even work. I wound up sending it back to Ruger in Prescott, AZ to be cleaned and refurbed. About six weeks and $128.50 later I got it back. $50.00 of that fee was shipping to and from Ruger. It runs like a Singer sewing machine.
DSCN2875.JPG

This poor P89 was in parts in a cardboard box. I seperated everything I knew could not be a part for this gun and slowly assembled things until I got a working pistol. No mag with this gun, I will use one of the ten rounders I got with the P95dc. Not sure what I will do with these two guns, but I could not leave them sitting in a cardboard box on a shelf. Too much life and service left in them, even if they are not pretty.
03717.JPG

03617.JPG

I picked up a Ruger standard .22 pistol, FS, 4.75" barrel, walnut stocks that also needs a trip back to the factory beauty parlor. No photos of it, lots of blue wear on the grip and left side of the barrel and receiver. I haven't fired it yet either, but I am anxious to see how well it performs.

JohnKSa

Administrator
BTW, I have seen photo's of P series pistols in use in Iraq (non US forces). I have no way of knowing how many that represents.....just the number in the photo's or more?
I believe that the U.S. purchased 5,000 P95 pistols for use by friendly Iraqi forces/police.