Condition 3 carry?

robc

I'm sorta new to handguns. Could someone explain what "condition 3" means? This phrase was used in relation to CC. I assume there's a "condition 2" and a "condition 1" as well?

solz56

Applies to Single Action Handguns --

Condition 0: Ready to fire - there is a live round in the chamber, the safety is off and the hammer is cocked.

Condition 1: Cocked & Locked - there is a live round chambered, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is on.

Condition 2: there is a live round in the chamber, the hammer has been decocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 3: there is no round in the chamber, the safety is off.

You'll find different opinions, but on a platform like the 1911 or Hi-Power the recommended carry condition is condition 1. The only time condition 2 is safe is if the gun has a manual decocker otherwise it is more of a liability. Condition 3 is fine if you're sure you'll have the free hand and the time.

Magyar

And, there is: Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well
And if that is not enough, some gun writers have come up with:Condition 5 to describe: Chamber is loaded, hammer down, safety on, in SA mode to describe the "Fast-Action" of the Fabrique Nationale patent which is widely used now-a-days on the Daewoo...
P.S. A little known fact that when FN entered in the competition for the new U.S. pistol in the early 80's, one of their two models had the "tri-action" trigger...Some of the leading gun authorities at that time thought that would give them an edge on being selected...Oh well, it didn't happen..:(

robc

One of my shooting buddies has that Daewoo (p-51?). It's really cool. The only bad thing about it is I can't stop fiddling with it when I shoot the darn thing. I keep de-cocking and using the trigger to re-set just cuz it's neat. Bad idea. One of these times I'm gonna send a round off into the great blue yonder. :eek: