Condi Rice on private ownership of firearms

Buzzcook

Rice used her visit to praise Maliki's choice to take on the militia. Fighting Sadr, who has declared that resistance against U.S. forces is legitimate, is an "internal Iraqi matter," she said.

"But clearly, the prime minister has laid down some ground rules which any functioning democratic state would insist upon, having to do with, you know, arms belonging to the state, not to -- not in private hands," she said. "The current circumstances come out of what I think is a very important and indeed appropriate action that the Iraqi government has taken."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080420/wl_mcclatchy/2915454

Universal rights, not so universal.

Last edited:

FireMax

If you ever want to know what our politicians "really" believe, just listen to them speak in other countries. Some shocking stuff.

Condi Rice would support gun control here in the good 'ol USA too if it were politically expedient. You can't trust a politician of any party.

Kreyzhorse

"But clearly, the prime minister has laid down some ground rules which any functioning democratic state would insist upon, having to do with, you know, arms belonging to the state, not to -- not in private hands"

Her opinion doesn't surprise me at all.

Willie D

No one involved in fighting Iraq thinks they need more small arms floating around over there or that militias are a good thing. I don't know if that's hypocritical but the presence of armed factions is bad news for our troops so it would be silly for her to say otherwise.

One of the accepted cornerstones of stable governments worldwide is the state having more or less a monopoly on the use of force.

FireMax

Willie D
No one involved in fighting Iraq thinks they need more small arms floating around over there or that militias are a good thing. I don't know if that's hypocritical but the presence of armed factions is bad news for our troops so it would be silly for her to say otherwise.

To answer honestly, YES, it is hypocritical.

Unregistered

I don't know if that's hypocritical but the presence of armed factions is bad news for our troops so it would be silly for her to say otherwise.

Yes, I agree its hypocritical. The insurgents in Iraq are out enemy, but they are using arms exactly for the reasons granted in the Constitution... to fight a government with which they do not agree.

Sarge

I think you are applying our Bill of Rights beyond the borders it was intended to protect. While there is no question, in my mind at least, that these "truths" are "self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." take a look at where this language appears. It is in the Declaration of Independence. We the People charted our own course and chose that path, along with all the risks that were certain to appear along the way.

It is now up to the Iraqi people to manage their own affairs so we can get the heck outta there. Whether they will choose the full compliment of individual freedoms, over Sharia Law, remains to be seen.

FireMax

sarge, with respect, I think you are missing the bigger picture here. Take a closer look at what Condi says, and you will find that she is implying that the Iraqi action to not allow private ownership is indicative of any responsible democracy.... which would include the USA as far as I can tell.

But clearly, the prime minister has laid down some ground rules which any functioning democratic state would insist upon, having to do with, you know, arms belonging to the state, not to -- not in private hands,

Shocking words. Shocking indeed.

Sarge

If she meant what she said as applied to the US-as opposed to misspeaking or speaking in the context of the Iraqi government-then she definitely needs her feet held to the fire for it.

dwatts47

It never ceases to amaze me that people that have most likely never even held a gun are the ones that stand up and say everyone else shouldn't have them..

I, for example, have never driven or riden in a Rolls Royce so It is unfair of me to say that they are useless therefor no one should be allowed to have them. I don't know jack about a 'royce so I keep my mouth shut about 'em.

Why is it that common sense never rules the thoughts of senators/ politicians?

raimius

From what I've seen, the statement does not jive with what she has said before.

Condoleeza Rice: Gun Rights Important As Free Speech

By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer Wed May 11, 9:13 PM ET

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, recalling how her father took up arms to defend fellow blacks from racist whites in the segregated South, said Wednesday the constitutional right of Americans to own guns is as important as their rights to free speech and religion.

In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live," Rice said she came to that view from personal experience. She said her father, a black minister, and his friends armed themselves to defend the black community in Birmingham, Ala., against the White Knight Riders in 1962 and 1963. She said if local authorities had had lists of registered weapons, she did not think her father and other blacks would have been able to defend themselves.

Birmingham, where Rice was born in 1954, was a focal point of racial tension. Four black girls were killed when a bomb exploded at a Birmingham church in 1963, a galvanizing moment in the fight for civil rights.

Rice said she favored background checks and controls at gun shows. However, she added, "we have to be very careful when we start abridging rights that the Founding Fathers thought very important."

Rice said the Founding Fathers understood "there might be circumstances that people like my father experienced in Birmingham, Ala., when, in fact, the police weren't going to protect you."

"I also don't think we get to pick and choose from the Constitution," she said in the interview, which was taped for airing Wednesday night. "The Second Amendment is as important as the First Amendment."

The First Amendment protects religious, press and speech freedoms as well as the rights to assemble and petition the government. The Second Amendment guarantees "a well-regulated militia" and "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." Gun-rights supporters and those who favor gun control disagree over whether the amendment guarantees individual gun ownership.

musher

the prime minister has laid down some ground rules which any functioning democratic state would insist upon, having to do with, you know, arms belonging to the state

well then, I'm glad I don't live in a democracy.

sholling

It never ceases to amaze me that people that have most likely never even held a gun are the ones that stand up and say everyone else shouldn't have them..
My understanding is that Condi has been packing a pistol much of her adult life. As far as I'm concerned she's more trust worthy than McCain on the 2nd Amendment and she's my 1st choice for vice president.

applesanity

Methinks it's one of those statements taken horribly out of context. Like McCain saying that we're gonna be in Iraq for 100 years.

Chindo18Z

I believe that we may be taking her words out of context.

IMHO, when she is refering to arms and militias (specifically the Shiite ones opposed to GOI and Coalition Forces), she is talking about mines, explosives, MANPADs, RPGs, IEDs, EFPs, RPK/PKZ/PKM/ZSU/ZPU machineguns & auto cannons, anti-tank rockets & missiles, mortars, portable multiple launch rocket systems, grenades & launchers, sniper rifles, etc..

AKs are considered male jewelry in Afghanistan (everyday walkabout dress by adult males) and households in Iraq are permitted to own select fire AKs. These legally owned weapons are only rarely seized by US forces conducting operations (in the absence of other incriminating actions, evidence, or significant illegal arms).

The Government of Iraq increasingly sets its own tune and has its own security agenda. I think Secretary Rice's 2A stance (in the USA) is a matter of record...she is on "our" side.

Musketeer

From what I've seen, the statement does not jive with what she has said before.

My issue with her is it doesn't matter what she thinks herself, I question if she even does. She is a "yes man" put in place by the administration. Does anyone think the administration would like the right to regulate what arms may be owned and by whom even in the USA? Given their attitude on other aspects of the COTUS I think the answer is clear. It is after all part of "the war on terror" and "to protect our freedom."