Concealed Kimber Question

Jonpod

Will the extended magwell on a full sized Kimber affect concealed carry? If not does anyone recommend the one piece mainspring housing/extended magwell from the Kimber accessory catolog?

NAD

It depends. How big of a guy are you? If you can conceal a full size 1911 pattern gun well then the little extra length due to the extended mag well probably won't effect concealment. However, you will probably have to use an extended base pad on your mags to use them with the mag well. This will add even more length. I carry a 1911 with a Smith & Alexander magwell (which includes the mainspring housing) and magazines with extended base pads without any problems. But I'm a big guy at 6 ft. and 220 lbs. I've recently got a Kimber Pro CDP and don't intend to bother adding an extended mag well. Having one is great for quick reloads, especially in competition like IPSC or IDPA, but in the real world of concealed cary I wouldn't bother. Kimber has done a nice job of beveling the mag well anyway. If you do decide to get one get the best - A Smith & Alexander.

Jonpod

I am a big guy 6'2" 250lb. I conceal the full sized 1911 very well. Thanks for the info I'll probably just replace the plastic mainspring housing with a stainless steel or aluminum one and skip the extended do-hickey. Thanks for the replys.