Concealed Carry

FratBoyTX

Looking for advice on a good concealed carry weapon. I am fairly inexperienced shooter, and fairly small in size (5'10", 120 lbs.). Does anyone have recomendations?

CFB

AndABeer

Firearm selection is an EXTREMELY subjective issue. There will be people that will tell you, "Only Glock!" or "Only SIG!" or "Real men shoot 1911s!". All that BS. Best advice I have is to find a range that rents firearms and spend way too much money there trying different ones. I have many guns that feel great in my hand but don't shoot for sh**. You have to shoot the thing to figure out if you like it.

Recommend you first determine what type of handguns you are comfortable shooting by going to a range that rents them and trying as many as you can afford/interest you.

It may seem expensive at the time; but it only takes buying one pistol you later decide you don't really want to end up spending a lot more.

Once you have decided what types of handguns you like, you need to start thinking about what you will be wearing when you carry, how you are going to carry it, types of holsters, etc. That is a pretty comprehensive subject in itself.

I recommend that you narrow your choices down to 4 or 5 pistol types that you like. Keep in mind that the primary factors in concealing a pistol are thickness of the pistol (looking top down), the size of the grip, and the weight of the gun.

beemerb

I don't know about other places but here in AZ a lot of CCW instructors have a varity of firearms for use in the class.Most are willing to let you handle and shoot them.If you can find a class like that it will go a long way toward your making a choice.

Amelia

Here's the way I did it...

If you can, either go to the range with friends and shoot their handguns to get a feel for what fits you and what doesn't. Otherwise, rent as many different types of handguns from a range and try them out for the same purpose.

Then, take a two day tactical handgun course, like those taught by Randy Cain at Cumberland Tactics or the guys at OPS or similar training groups. You appear to be from TX and I think OPS has classes in TX.

Some of these instructors will let you try their various handguns and even use one for their course. Or, borrow one from a friend (that's what I did). Using a gun for several hours in a tactical course will really let you discern whether it's the right fit for your hand and ability, etc.

After a course like this, you won't be nearly so inexperienced as you are now and you will probably have a very good idea of a handgun (or several) that will work for you.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on and how and such.

:)

Do take someone with you if you go to rent guns to try. Take someone who knows about guns and gun safety, but doesn't have a stake in what gun you buy. If you don't have any current shooting buddies, but are in the DFW area, email me and I will tag along with you.

A lot of ranges around the area teach a variety of introductory level classes. Collin County Gun Range in McKinney has a 1/2 day Safety and Marksmanship class where they take you through the basics and then take you out to the range with a few different guns (revolvers and semi-automatics) and let you see how they work and then let you shoot them.

As already said, the decision as to what to carry is very subjective and also very personal. What works for me may not work for you. My needs may not resemble your needs. Before you drop a few hundred on a gun, you want to make the best buying decision you can. Range time with various guns over a period of several visits will help with this. Also, solicit opinions from people at the range. Many will gladly share with you information on why they like their guns and what guns they don't like. Just keep in mind that these are their opinions and their situation may be totally different than your own. By analogy, I had a friend who loved his old Suburban and thought I needed one as well. My friend was a mechanic and could fix anything on the old suburban without cracking a manual. In fact, he carries a few tools and can fix it just about anywhere. Me, I can't fix a car and so an old suburban would be a very bad choice for me. Get the picture?

krept

Agree. Take a CCW class, learn the basics first and along the way you will be able to fire different types of pistols. Get the one that feels the best and shoots the best, reliably and you will NOT be sorry...

Much better than taking a bunch of different people's advice as to which brand is the best and making a decision based soley on that.

Seminole1986

Desert eagle in 50 cal in an ankle holster. Works for me all the time. ;)

(Well, what did you want me to say, that its all subjective anyway?)

oktagon

Make it Wildey in the Thunderware. I walk like this all the time. Beside strange looks that I get everywhere I go, nobody notices a thing! :)

lol

Master Blaster

Start with guns that were built for CC and have a track record.
S&W J frame snubby (lots of good used ones),
Glock 26,
keltec,
Kahr,
Ruger SP101
For a novice a J frame will fit in a pocket, is reliable accurate, simple to operate, shoots a wide range of ammo.
Get a good holster IWB or pocket or belt slide.

TAKE a TRAINING CLASS.

Stay away from new high pressure rounds .40 .357 sig,
get a compact glock/ 1911 .45 or a .357 mag sp101 for more power.

get at least a 9mm or a .38.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
In comparing handguns with automobiles, you will soon find
that handguns too are a huge investment nowdays.:( Being
that the price of firearms has risen drastically over the
years, one should choose weapons very carefully. Avoid
the pitfalls of trying to own "anything and everything",
as I have done. As other's have said, for CCW purposes
find the weapon that's right for you; and stick with it.
Train, Train, Train and become a master at the art of
handguning; I guarantee it might save your bacon someday.:D

Once you have become proficent with it's use; you will want
more handguns. This is a natural reaction for most of us in
the gun world. That's okay, cuz you have learned the basics
from your CCW. The ole' saying, "the sky is the limit" is
very true in this business!!!:D:)

Good Luck,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PS: Take into consideration the views of other poster's here
at TFL; there is loads of experienced shooter's here on this board; all will be more than happy to offer good advice.