Concealed Carry while hiking?

Foxy

I am planning on hiking up Pike's Peak tomorrow, and was curious about the legality of carrying a firearm while on the mountain. I looked on Packing.org, but they didn't have any information on carrying inside of state parks.

Is it legal?

Thanks in advance!

progunner1957

Check your local listing...

It depends on whether or not Pike's Peak is a national park (I'm not sure, just off the top of my head). If it is, any carry is a no-go. If it is not, it is up to the laws of Colorado, which allow open carry in the state, last I heard.

Also, if you have an AZ or another state's concealed carry license, check to see if CO honors it.

Several years ago, I backpacked in the Collegiate Peaks area and carried openly. I got some freaky looks from the earth-heads going by in their jeeps on the 4x4 trails, but that was it (guess they had never seen a Glock before!) :D

Ptown Beretta

Why go through all the trouble of carrying concealed on the hip? Just open carry with a backup on the ankle or shoulder. Heck, just go shoulder or holster. I carried openly two years in the city of Portland. Get yourself a nice retention holster and you will be good to go. :D

Pointer

When was the last time a National Park Ranger stopped and searched you? :D

If you use it in self defense... it won't matter what the Ranger thinks. :p

If need be, you would have a pretty good argument in court that you have a CWP for the State of Colorado which you were in. ;)

And that the fact that you were carrying is the only reason you are alive and standing here before His Honor. :rolleyes:

Ptown Beretta

If you shoot someone or they find it on you, the feds will work you over with so hard, you wish you were dead. The fact is that the national parks are a haven for criminals (similar to D.C., LA, Chicago and every other gun banned city). I refuse to go into the remote parts of the national park. The national forest on the other hand is just fine.

If you do carry and end up shooting, ahem, vermin in the national park, I believe it is best to bury dead animals so as to not attract other predators-namely the federal government.