concealed carry while dressing up

jetsfan

I have been wondering if anyone knows a good way to stay concealed carry while dressing up. What I am referring to is if I were wearing a blazer out to dinner that I want to take off while I eat. Is there a good way to stay concealed so that my gun can stay hidden? Thanks

Tanzer

Also sounds like a good time to check your laws regarding the legality of CC in an establishment that may serve alcohol.

obiwan1

Pocket holster or ankle rig. The only time that I like ankle holsters is when sitting behind a desk, in a car, or in a restaurant with table cloths. Otherwise i'd go with a good (not necessarily expensive) pocket holster with a Jframe/Kahr/KelTec/PPK sized weapon. :D

jetsfan

THe ankle holster was my thought but sometimes pant legs come up a bit. As far as local laws, I don't think there is anything against restaurants but bars yes. I was thinking maybe putting it in the pocket of the blazer or suit jacket but I wasn't sure.

Manedwolf

A well-tailored jacket will conceal a vertical shoulder rig without spoiling its lines.

Works for the Secret Service, after all.

But that's only if you keep the jacket on.

Magyar

As far as SmartCarry, I pride myself in keeping reasonably fit, especially around the middle...So, w/o looking like I have a "bulging hernia", keep your jacket on......

Last edited:

blume357

What's wrong with a standard shoulder holster... it was good enough

for James Bond in all those movies and books?

stevelyn

I carry year-round in a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB. If you want more concealment for the way you will be dressed, get a tuckable.

Dwight55

Often times, I wear my shoulder holster under my dress shirt. Short sleeve, . . . long sleeve, . . . just make sure it is of substantial fabric, . . . and a darker color and/or pattern helps also.

Additionally, . . . I often wear a vest or sweater vest to hide the outline of the leather.

You can also put on a good IWB using a second belt under your shirt and trousers and if you just blouse the bottom of the shirt a little bit, it is very hard to see any outline.

I also have been known to Mexican carry my 1911 inside my dress shirt, cross draw on the outside point of my left hip (9:00) and it is reasonably comfortable.

May God bless,
Dwight

Spenser

The Galco Cop ankle band works well for a Glock 26 (27) or a Sig 232. I'd recommend it for either gun. It will also hold a CS45, though a bit bulkier.

JoshB

Dressing up has never been a problem for me. I just wear a jacket to cover up my 1911 [worn in an IWB] and keep it on.
For example, when I go to church I have three options:
1. Wear a suit & keep jacket on.
2. Untuck my shirt [looks too messy for Sunday morning, but will work for Sunday night with a flat-cut shirt].
3. Wear a sweater - not much of an option in the south except in the winter months.

I've considered ankle holsters, but they don't provide quick access, and your pants leg can ride up.

I like Magyar's comment about the tuckable holsters and "bulging hernias." :cool:

nemesis

Tuckable in-waistband. The gun is where you need it and out of sight. You can draw while seated and your access to the weapon is not impeded.

I was in Church on Sunday with a Springfield Ultra Compact .45 in a Galco Ultra Deep Cover and nobody was any wiser.

I believe that a primary weapon should be accessible at all times and don't suggest using an ankle holster for a primary unless you can draw while running for cover. Pocket carry and unconventional methods often restrict your ability to draw while seated or driving. Something to keep in mind.

Manedwolf

One option would be to use a pocket holster and put the pistol in the pocket of your blazer or jacket.

Don't undo the threads closing a good dress coat's pockets. It makes them sag, and you'll look more like a failed salesperson than someone dressed formally. ;)