Gunslinger

In April we here in Missouri are finally going
to be allowed to vote on the issue of con-
cealed carry. Assuming that the issue pas-
ses I would like to become an authorized
instructor for those wishing to obtain their
license. I am an FFL holder, retired police
officer and own the facilities for a 35 yard
in door range and a 75 yard out door range. Any help in obtaining this information would be greatly appreceated.
Thank you in advance,
Gunslinger

Rob Pincus

Here in TN, A few of us looked into "officially" becoming state certified CCW instructors. Between three of us we had over 250 formal hours of handgun instruction. all documented. One of us had been an instructor for the Gov't and had taught over 8 thousand of hours of weapons training (based on an average of 4 days a week for 5 years). The state told us that none of us were qualified... however if we took a 2 day NRA instructor course (regardless of prior experience) we would be certified as soon as we were bonded.

Again, the wonderful bureacracy at work. One guy took the class and got certified, we haven't really decided if we are going to go any further with it. I may take the course later this spring.

If MO is anything like TN you will have to jump through some simple Lowest Common Denominator Hoop to get certified.

------------------
-Essayons

DrJon

Gunslinger:

I've had my CCW for about 6 years and one thing I always wish I had been given was a one or two page document that spelled out where I can and can't carry (Personally I feel I should be able to carry anywhere I wish, but that is another story.)

Anyway, what I'm getting at is..... I had to look long and hard to find this information. When the issue passes and classes are given have some good handouts for the people taking the classes. A handout that has your local and state laws would be great. This will mean as much to them as getting the CCW.

I finally came across something on the web that I feel is good advice for anyone who has a CCW. I found it at.........

http://www.firearmstactical.com

Hope you don't mind me sharing it in this topic.

-----------------------------

Five Rules for Concealed Carry

1. Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.

Draw it solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life-threatening criminal actions of another.

2. Know exactly when you can use your gun.

A criminal adversary must have, or reasonably appear to have:

A) the ability to inflict serious bodily injury (he is armed or reasonably appears to be armed with a deadly weapon),

B) the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm (he is physically positioned to harm you with his weapon), and

C) his intent (hostile actions or words) indicates that he means to place you in jeopardy -- to do you serious or fatal physical harm.

When all three of these "attack potential" elements are in place simultaneously, then you are facing a reasonably perceived deadly threat that justifies an emergency deadly force response.

3. If you can run away -- RUN!

Just because you’re armed doesn’t necessarily mean you must confront a bad guy at gunpoint. Develop your "situation awareness" skills so you can be alert to detect and avoid trouble altogether. Keep in mind that if you successfully evade a potential confrontation, the single negative consequence involved might be your bruised ego, which should heal with mature rationalization. But if you force a confrontation you risk the possibility of you or a family member being killed or suffering lifelong crippling/disfiguring physical injury, criminal liability and/or financial ruin from civil lawsuit. Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.

4. Display your gun, go to jail.

Expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed gun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional or innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that reliably keeps your gun hidden from public view at all times. Before you expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

5. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

If, despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do get into some kind of heated dispute with another person while you’re armed, never mention, imply or exhibit your gun for the purpose of intimidation or one-upmanship. You’ll simply make a bad situation worse -- for yourself (see rule #4).

-----------------

Food for thought,

Jon...

[This message has been edited by DrJon (edited 01-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by DrJon (edited 01-12-99).]

David

In Texas, we also had to attend a 2 day NRA class, or attend a 3 day class at the DPS academy in Austin.

Saw lots of people on the range in Austin that probably where ther because they are employed by gun shops. Judging from the way they handled themselves, they had no business there, IMHO.

Usually, the first year or two is the busiest. If you're going to be serious about it, plan to spend some good $'s on advertising, even, if possible, hiring an ad agency to offer advice on were and when to advertise, and possible competitive pricing structures. You will find that roughly 50% of your CCL business will end up being referrals, but you must go all the way in the beginning with advertising to get the ball rolling properly. If you have a store, and count on walk-ins or word-of-mouth only, you'll miss the opportunity, if making some money is important.

Also, we offer a full service class. A customer can walk-in (preferably with their paperwork pack from DPS in hand)get their fingerprints, photos, and notorization all in one place. We even provide firearms and ammo.
We use Glock G17's, and judging fron the scores, people do very well with this gun.

Lastly, we offer a "value added" feature in our classes. Most instructors just teach the bare minimum as required by law, and it's not enough. We teach many things about tactics, what the law states vs what really happens in court, and a lot of other things that you would usually find in mid-level or advanced firearms classes. This, we feel, is not only necessary, but brings referrals and repeat customers. We encourage them to take firearms classes, whether it is taught by us or someone else.
This is what works for us.

Hope this helps....