Concealed Carry, Glock 26 vs 19

TiP99

So i am currently considering a pistol for concealed carry in Nebraska. I think i have narrowed it down to two possible pistols. I have shot the G26 and i liked it a lot, except how difficult it was to load the magazine due to the size. I have yet to shoot a G19 however my concern is not shooting related. My question is for those who cary either or even better both of these pistols.
My concern is how difficult is it to draw a g26 from a concealed position? And would the degree of difficulty warrant a G19 for a lengthier grip? I would be utilizing a IWB style holster. Any help is greatly appreciated.
THanks

-Ryan

I don't quite get your observation about the difficulty of loading a G26 mag. It's no more difficult than loading any other Glock 9mm magazine.

I carry a G26 daily, IWB; probably won't ever change to another carry piece. You can use a G19 mag with an A&G sleeve in your G26 to get the exact same grip as on a G19, but you can't make a G19 smaller! They're both great carry pieces, but I just prefer the G26, due to its size and weight.

Here's a pic of my G26 with the A&G sleeve on a G19 mag.

IMG_0002.jpg

gamboolman

I carry the Glock 26 IWB in a Tucker Cover-Up with my shirt tail tucked when wearing jeans. It is not a fast draw set up, but it is very concealed for the hot and humid Gulf Coast here in Houston. It is very comfortable and even in Wranglers I can wear it fine. When in shorts and t-shirt, which is a lot in Houston with all the heat and humidity - I wear the Safe Carry. I carry all the time from the time I wake up till I take it off to go to bed. I like the Glock 26 and I trust it to protect myself and my family. I am not a fast draw artist for sure, but I will have my gun on me at all times no matter the time or where I am at.
I do respect the business(es) that have legal posted 30.06 signs posted and I will not carry in their premise's- and if at all possible, we do not give them any of our business.
I recommend you get the Glock 26. The Glocks have a heck of a proven record for functionality and reliability.

stephen426

I guess it all depends on your size. I carry a Glock 26 at the 3 o'Clock position and I have yet to be "made". The length of the slide has little to do with concealability, but the extra length of the grip would make the butt of the gun stick out. I live in Miami and I can half tuck a shirt over my Glock 26 and hide it. The Glock 26 is plenty accurate and recoil is very managable.

The Glock 19 gives you 5 more rounds, possibly eliminating the need to carry an extra mag. If you wear a jacket or your shirt tucked out most of the time, the Glock 19 is a great package. I'm only 5'7" and 160 lbs. so I'd have a hard time hiding it.

Glocks are great guns though and its hard to go wrong with either one.

Kermit

I have had an itch for a subcompact for a while but I've always ended up getting rid of it because I just don't like those short grips. So, I've found my limit w/ the 19 sized guns and have found good ways to carry it

This can't be that difficult! With a G19 mag and A&G sleeve, the G26 has the same length grip as the G19. Once again, boys and girls, can't make the G19 more concealable (read: "smaller."); can use any Glock 9mm mag in a G26.

jlh26oo

G19

I have had an itch for a subcompact for a while but I've always ended up getting rid of it because I just don't like those short grips. So, I've found my limit w/ the 19 sized guns and have found good ways to carry it

+1

Especially if you would be using extended mags in order to get all three fingers on the grip. Only way I'd go G26 over G19 is if I were going to pocket it (in which case I would not be using extended mags anyways).

tshadow6

Glock 19

I carry my GLOCK 19 concealed very often. A large, loose tee shirt or covering garment is all that's needed. I used to carry it concealed with a belly band holster. I don't think the minimum size difference of the 26 vs. the 19 makes any difference in concealment.

seed

By my estimates, the gun will spend 99.99% of its life being concealed. Now if you don't feel comfortable with the larger 19, then you have the option of a shave here and there and you get the 26. The 26 may not be as fun as the 19 to shoot, however it isn't difficult in the slightest. Additionally, it is every bit as reliable and in my experience, accurate as the 19.

In an ideal world, I would not be concerned about being "made" or having to compromise comfort for concealability. And in that world, I would gladly carry a 19 over a 26. But I don't live in that world. Therefore, the 26 gets the nod for concealed carry for most occasions.

Rugged

The Glock 19 gives you 5 more rounds, possibly eliminating the need to carry an extra mag.

ALWAYS carry a spare magazine! The magazine is part of your weapon. IF for some reason your ONLY magazine goes belly up at the worst possible moment (everything happens ath the worst moment) then you have two choices. you can drop one round in the chamber at a time, or you can swing the pistol like a hammer at your assailant's head. GLOCKS are not heavy, or sharp, so it probably wouldn't do much damage.

ALways carry a spare mag.

If you god forbid, had to dive for cover, and you cracked the floorplate on your magazine, you'd be through.

BUCKMARK

I own both and I find the G26 slightly easier to conceal, esp. in the summer. I also find the G19 slightly more comfortable for range use with all four fingers on the grip.

Accuracy wise, I can't tell them apart. The little G26 will keep right up with the G19 for me.

I also have no problems with drawing the G26 from a holster.

I purchased the G19 first and I love it. I got the G26 LNIB from a friend who found it to be too thick...he sold it to me for $400 with night sights.

I carry the G26 more because of it's size...but I shoot the G19 more on the range.

I'd toss a coin. You can't go wrong! If I didnt get such a good deal on the G26, I'd prolly be packin the G19.

FastDraw

I have their twins, that is, a M27 and M23. For me the M27 is slightly easier to conceal, but I tend to shoot the M23 better. :)

stephen426

Rugged said:
ALWAYS carry a spare magazine! The magazine is part of your weapon. IF for some reason your ONLY magazine goes belly up at the worst possible moment (everything happens ath the worst moment) then you have two choices. you can drop one round in the chamber at a time, or you can swing the pistol like a hammer at your assailant's head. GLOCKS are not heavy, or sharp, so it probably wouldn't do much damage.

ALways carry a spare mag.

If you god forbid, had to dive for cover, and you cracked the floorplate on your magazine, you'd be through.

Interesting thought. Maybe I will start carrying a spare mag around. I was just thinking that most fore fights don't last more than a few rounds and that 10 rounds out of my Glock 26 should do the trick (unless I take on a small gang).

Pappy John

I just went through this process myself and settled on the G26. After buying a G17 in October and finding out how well the Glock handled and shot for me, I decided to get the smaller version for carry. Unexpectedly, I found the shorter sight radius made absolutely no difference in my 25 yard slow-fire groups compared to the G17. The only requirement I found was to use the front dot and rear outline, and drop my habit, from revolvers, of ignoring the paint and just using the silhouette of the sights against the target. Concentrating on the front white dot and rear painted "U" gave me noticably better groups. :confused: Weird!? I also expected the smaller grip to be somewhat of a problem for me for accuracy, but it clearly isn't. Maybe for the heavier calibers I'd be re-adjusting my grip after shots, but so far the 9mm seems very controllable with the abreviated grip.

Rugged

Maybe I will start carrying a spare mag around. I was just thinking that most fore fights don't last more than a few rounds and that 10 rounds out of my Glock 26 should do the trick

exactly what I always thought. That's not wisdom I picked up on my own (hardly any of it is). I picked it up in a CCW class years ago. The magazine is part of the weapon, just because it detaches, doesn't meant it's seperate. Further, it's the part of the weapon MOST likely to break, Easiest to replace, and serves the dual capacity of holding several more cartridges.

I'd always carry a one hand opening knife too. JUST in CASE. : )

stephen426

Rugged said:
I'd always carry a one hand opening knife too. JUST in CASE. : )

:D Benchmade 710 is always on my waistband even though my Glock 26 isn't :eek: . I just don't find it comfortable carrying all the time, even though I know Murphy's law would have the poop hit the fan when I'm not armed. I live and work in good areas and I carry when I have to venture out of my "little world". :eek:

BUCKMARK

Maybe look into a Kel-Tec P3at for your front pocket.

Carries like a knife. Maybe even lighter than some fighting knives.

Broadside Bob

Concealment

I'm 6'0", 162 and can conceal my G19 or my 5" Kimber 1911 in a T-shirt and jeans/shorts in an IWB. The Glock is a little easier to carry because of the lighter weights, but concealment is not an issue for either.

TiP99

I don't quite get your observation about the difficulty of loading a G26 mag. It's no more difficult than loading any other Glock 9mm magazine.

What i was referring to was how the bottom of the magazine was uncomfortable on the middle of my palm while loading due to the short length. While a full lenth mag would extend past the middle of my palm while grasping it. Its not really an issue just something i noticed while putting 100 or so rounds through a rental .