concealed carry: Beretta 92FS vs. Sig 229

anonimoose

Shooters,

I don't conceal carry much*, but when I do, I choose my Beretta 92FS**. Sure, it's noticeably heavier than my Walther P22, but it's manageable. With the Crossbreed Supertuck, or even with a simple Uncle Mike's IWB, I sometimes forget that it's there.

What I don't understand is why many cite the weight of the Beretta ("It's a boat anchor!") as inappropriate for concealed carry...but then rave about, let's say, the Sig 229 as an excellent concealed carry choice. Huh? The Beretta 92FS weighs 34oz, the Sig 229 weighs 32oz.

I'd understand if people hated on the Beretta's barrel/slide length ("When I tried IWB, it kept digging into my butt!") but the beef seems to be with the weight, not the length. And yet weight doesn't seem to be an issue with Sigs for most people -- even the interminable "Glock vs. Sig debate for CCW" debates focus more on ergos, trigger reset, striker vs. hammer, etc -- rarely on weight.

Maybe it's just group-think/"conventional wisdom"? Or maybe humping a pack all those months just made me immune to weight/tolerant of discomfort!

very respectfully,
Moose

*active duty military, so I don't conceal carry at work and "socialize" (and carry) mostly on the weekends
**KISS: I lost my firearms virginity to the Beretta 92FS, so to speak, and it's basically the only pistol I've consistently carried, thus the level of familiarity/muscle-memory remains the same whether in Afghanistan or Arizona

AndyWest

The 92FS is certainly a bigger gun, but it sounds like that's what you're more comfortable with, eh? Screw the hating based on weight if it doesn't bother you. I own both a 92FS and P226 and, as a larger fellow and I could carry either comfortably.

MidwestRookie

If you can, I don't see why not..some people carry full-size 1911s, and some need commander sized to carry comfortably. Whatever works..

Lots of letters get typed on the internet that aren't worth the 1's and 0's that make them up..from people that aren't worth the breath it would take to actually say what they typed.

If you're comfortable, carry whatever you want. Internet voices are just that..they aren't law. Just random words from random people that could be true or not, and could have merit or not. I think sometimes people forget that..

But a good argument is some good ole American fun..we all like to prove that we're right, full of it or not!

ShipWreck

I carry my 92FS (fullsize) 95% of the time. Even in the summer. NOt a big guy... 180lbs, 6'1"

I carry IWB at the 3 o'clock position. It is the only way I could do it.

The other 5% of the time, I carry my 92 compact.... What is nice is that I can use the same holster...

Carrygear2.jpg

EDC01.jpg

Stressfire

Personally I tend towards my compact 45s for carry 90% of the time. Every once in awhile though, I do like to give my 92 some belt time.