Concealed Carry and a Fatboy

Adventurer 2

I have a little bit of use with a recently purchased Maxpedition Fatboy S shoulder bag. I am posting just in case anybody has seen the picture at http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=18&idproduct=31
The site shows a Beretta 92 in the “hidden”compartment. Just wanted to let you all know – you can fit a Beretta in the compartment but it will take forever to draw that Beretta. The opening is too small to draw without the firearm getting hung up. A sub-compact like the Glock 26 works without problems. Another comment I have is that Milspec Monkey is not a large man – I saw his video review of the Jumbo and I thought – man, I don’t want a monstrous bag (but it is not as large as it seemed). The Fatboy is well constructed and should last a long, long time. If you own an alice clip holster, it will attach and carry beautifully outside the main compartment. The Fatboy is smaller than I thought it would be. I don’t recommend it as an outdoor, day pack – not really large enough for my use. I would like to carry two Nalgene bottles (if you fit two bottles in the main compartment you will not be able to use the hidden compartment for a firearm) and also a jacket shell and still have some room for food. If I were to order again – I would get the Jumbo. I’m not sure but I bet you could draw any full size firearm without a problem using the Jumbo as shown in Milspec Monkey's video. Nitpicking – I don’t like the velcro closure on the compartment that perfectly fits a multi-tool (personal preference for a buckle). I didn’t think the shoulder pad was necessary but put it back on because the plastic adjustment buckle pokes me without the pad. Someday, I’m going to cut the strap down, resew, and get the buckle lower. Don’t get me wrong this is a solid bag. If you live somewhere where people wouldn’t look at you funny wearing this bag (Colorado, Utah, Washington…) it would be a good bag for using around town or anywhere you can get buy with one bottle of water. If you want to hide a full size firearm – get the Jumbo.
FatboyS.jpg

scottycoyote

i got the jumbo and really like it.......plus it comes with one water bottle pocket, and if you attach a small roly poly on the other side, you have two waterbottles and you dont take up any of your pocket room.

Buzzard

Thanks for the info, I ride a quad and want to be able to carry comfortable.
How long is the strap...I am a little over 400 lbs so I need one to fit around me.
Thanks

Keltyke

Maxpedition Fatboy S shoulder bag.

Jeez, what safari are you going on with that thing? You're right, IF you could remember what compartment you put your gun in, it'd take forever to get it out.

I've tried a LOT of off-body carry methods and bags, both weapon-dedicated and camera bags, CD cases, fanny packs, etc. For off-body carry, the bags specifically designed for handguns are the best. They usually have a built-in holster and a quick-zip opening device that completely exposes the gun immediately.

There are also the "day planner" type cases that work well. One idea that's not new, but would work well is a glued together, hollowed out Bible or other book. Just don't forget and lay it down somewhere.