Concealable 357 mag

KMAX

I have a Bersa 380 Thunder that I conceal carry. I also have a Bersa 9 UC. I am considering trading them off for a concealable 357 mag. Would like some suggestions. I carry IWB or big pocket. Would like Model #s to compare. I like the versatility of 357 / 38Sp. I figure that should handle about anything I run into. Thanks.

Jim March

I have some notes on which specific guns at specific "weight classes" can be expected to cope with what class of ammo, across the 38Spl/357Mag spectrum on page 11 of the "revolver checkout":

http://tinyurl.com/revocheck

I consider the 17oz Ruger LCR357 to be the lightest 357 worth owning, and even then it's going to be limited in power. There are mild 357 rounds that will be in the same horsepower range as the best 9mm and even some 9mm+P loads from a full-size gun, but shot from a 2" snubby 357 wheelgun. In other words, this class of gun can cope with 350ft/lbs energy pretty easily, 400-450 at a stretch.

The SP101 at 26oz is the lightest "real" 357 made today, and even there the wildest ammo made will be a severe handful. If you want to explore the outer edge of the "real" 357 loads the GP100 at 39oz (4" variant) or it's equivalent in S&W-land (L-frame 586/686/etc.) is the right place to start - but if it's not clear, I'm talking about monster loads well into the 10mm power range with about 800ft/lbs energy on tap and not everybody needs to go there. An SP101 with a 3" barrel can still cope with rounds of about 550ft/lbs energy in experienced hands - which is hotter than the 45ACP and about on par with the best 40S&W loads.

Put another way, looking at the "357" as one caliber is really not accurate any more.

guardjim

I have a Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 inch barrel in 357 mag with the spurless hammer DAO. Depending on dress I carry IWB with holster or a clipdraw or OWB in a pancake holster. I also have carried in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster but find I need deep pockets like in cargo pants.
I have smaller lighter guns (model 36, P11, 380 NAA) but I always wind up going back to the SP101, my favorite.

guardjim

I have a Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 inch barrel in 357 mag with the spurless hammer DAO. Depending on dress I carry IWB with holster or a clipdraw or OWB in a pancake holster. I also have carried in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster but find I need deep pockets like in cargo pants.
I have smaller lighter guns (model 36, P11, 380 NAA) but I always wind up going back to the SP101, my favorite.

Webleymkv

Personally, I'd prefer a steel-frame gun to tame the recoil. The best steel-frame .357's that are still small enough for pocket carry are the Ruger SP101 and S&W Models 60, 640, and 649.

If you feel the need for a lightweight, Ruger's LCR and S&W Models 360 and 340 would be good options.

Sgt.Fathead

The arguments regarding side plates and triggers aside, the Ruger SP101 2" DAO .357 Mag is a great CCW gun but it is way heavier than any S&W. The 60 is a great shooter and with it's lighter weight in a 3" you get concealability, increased velocity and accuracy. The triggers on S&W and Colt revolvers always seem to break nicer out of the box but a lot of dry firing and range time works a Ruger trigger in well. I am all for dry firing daily as a form of muscle memory training.

If you get a Ruger, you might want to use a Dremel to smooth the edges of the trigger shoe. With full house .357 loads, they can be unpleasant to shoot!

ohen cepel

I carried a custom S&W 66 2.5in for many years. Now, I think I would go with a .38 if you're going to a short barrel/light gun. If you go up to 4in then I think the .357 makes sense.

My 66 has pretty much retired after I got the Smith Air Lite.

old bear

Dremel to smooth the eges of the trigger shoe.

The words Dremel Tool and firearm should never be used in the same paragraph much less the same sentence, if you feel the need to remove any metal from your firearms invest in a good set of Tool maker’s files. Takes longer to do, but it also takes longer to screw up your new handgun.

MR.G

S&W 649 .357 can be front pocket carried with the right holster. Shrouded hammer won't snag your clothes, and it can still be shot single action. Stock grips are good for shooting .357, but smaller boot grips are better for pocket carry.

CWKahrFan

The Ruger LCR in .357 is going to be the most comfortable TO CARRY and the the most uncomfortable TO ACTUALLY SHOOT because it's so relatively light. A lot depends on your philosophy. Statistically, the likelihood that any of us (non-LEOs) will actually have to fire our handguns in an actual self-defense scenario is extremely slim. That's why carry comfort wins out (for me) and why the .357 LCR is desireable for EDC. Handgun weight is a trade-off. Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

I can always shoot mostly .38's or .38+P's at the range, with a few .357's just to keep familiar with the handling difference. Of course, diehard tactical types won't support this kind of thinking... And that's OK... To each, his own.