Concealability S&W M&P 45c vs Glock 23,19

ripnbst

I used to have a G23 that carried very well but I got rid of it because I wasn't a fan of the .40. I have a CCO 1911 in .45 ACP now that I love but I am looking at the M&P line of pistols.

My question is how does the M&P 45c carry as compared to the compact Glocks? The ergos of the M&P are preferable to me but the Glock just carried sooo nicely I would forget it was there. I am hoping that if I put the M&P in the same brand and type of holster it will do the same.

Dimensionally they are very similar:

G23
L-7.36"
W-1.18"
H-5.0"

M&P 45c
L-7.6"
W-1.18"
H-4.8"

Looking for input on just these two guns, please don't take this off topic or make it a M&P v Glock manufacturer debate. I am asking those who CCW one or the other, preferably those with experience with both.

I plan to carry IWB at about 4:00 position also sometimes called rear hip if that makes a difference to you.

Gats Italian

In my experience with IWB holsters, width is the biggest variable, followed by length and then how grabby or pointy the grip is, and lastly comes height.

The dimensional differences between these two pistols are negligible. The M&P should carry just as well as the Glock as the differences in length and height are barely worth discussing unless the extra third of an inch in length makes the pistol somehow print more when you sit down.

ripnbst

I am looking for something a little easier to carry in the warmer months than my CCO 1911. Can anyone else chime in on concealability of the M&P 45c? What IWB holsters you have found to like to carry it in?

The 45c doesn't seem nearly as popular as the 9 or 40.

Chilli9880

Rip, I'm gonna try to stay on topic for you. Owning both a Glock 19 (I know you said 23, but 19 is in the title) and a M&P 40c (I know you said 45c and the 45c is a tiny bit larger than the 40c), owning both, my biased opinion says get the M&P45c and carry with confidence. I promise you that you will love it and will be even more invisible than your Glock 23. But, if you get the 45c and don't absolutely love it, let me know, i'll buy it off of you :D

GlockedNLoded32

I personally would go with the glock 23... I use the 32 for cc which is the same as the 23 just in the 357 sig I carried my uncles 23 before and i liked but im not a huge fan of the 40 either but that why i went with the 32 in stead of the 23 :D

Last edited:

federali

No Contest

I own both an S&W .45 M&P as well as a G19. The G19 is hands-down easier to carry and conceal and is my go-to gun for general CCW. My S&W shoots great but I don't think it's practical for CCW. Of course, a large man could more easily conceal a large pistol. I'm average size. The M&P 45 would be a tough one for OWB carry.

I'd rather have the .45 should the fecal matter interface with the oscillating ventilator but I certainly don't feel undergunned with the G19.

i've never carried the M&P, but i've shot both, and own the g19. the M&P has smoother edges than the glock. i would imagine it would print less. that being said, i find the g19 to be a little big for summer carry. when i do carry it, i carry it in a fist 1ak like all my other carry guns. the ultra-thin kydex keeps you from adding more width with your holster.

ripnbst

Federali,

Is your M&P 45 the compact version or the full size? I am considering the compact which as I said in my OP if you read the whole thing is marginally larger than the 23. I am not going back to the 23, that wasn't the point of my post so your recommendation to go with the 23 is kind of puzzling. Also, I am looking at IWB carry, not OWB.

I don't think you read my OP, or if you did your comprehension of it was less than stellar.

Last edited:

Mrgunsngear

I'd say the concealablity is pretty equal. I carry my G23 and M&P45c in IWB crossbreed and theis holsters and they feel pretty equal. Very 'carry-able guns for sure.
IMAG0806.jpg

IMAG0770.jpg

mbonnie

It comes down to capacity

I carry both and like both. The main difference comes down to the capacity. I love the M&P, but wish it carried more than 8 + 1. The 23 carries 13 + 1 and it's pretty much as easy to carry the 15 round reloads from a G22 as it is the 13s.

dean1818

I IWB with a M&P45 compact

Its easy to conceal and comfortable in a Crossbreed holster.

The capacity can go up in the M&P with the 2 different extended mags.

They offer a 10 round version. with an Xgrip they look good

But....... I guess I look at it as if I cant "get it done" with the stock
8+1 , of 45 +P I should train more, or move away from the war zone I found myself in.

You should be FINE with a M&P 45C...... excellent MADE IN AMERICA gun!

Mercenary

Found this pic on another forum:

100_9997-1-2.jpg

The capacity is 1.5 times greater in the G23 and roughly double in the G19. I've been considering the two as well. I have a full size M&P in 9mm so the logical choice would be the M&P45c as I am familiar with the platform already. However, it's hard to argue with the numbers and I would like to diversify my handgun collection.

Proud Poppa

Can't comment on which is better, but FWIW I do know the M&P45c has a heavier trigger than the other M&P models by about 1 lb. I'd say if you had no problem concealing the G23 you previously owned, the M&P shouldn't be an issue from a concealment standpoint. Maybe a few extra oz in weight.