Computer controlled 1050

jmorris

The first run of the PLC controlled 1050 was a success. Along with the auto drive I added a PLC that controls the motor. There is an up and down limit switches that are on a clock so if the tool head doesn’t reach either in the allotted time the timer times out and stops the motor, this keeps the clutch from continually slipping if a jam occurs. I went ahead and made the upper limit switch a round counter to count the number of completed rounds.
I then tied into the powder check die and low primer systems so the machine would halt operation if there were a high/low charge or no primers in the tube. I programmed a routine into the PLC that would count down from 100 to start with and reset every time the low primer alarm was triggered. This way all the operator has to do is fill the tube and press the run button and the screen is automatically reset..
To finish up there will be proximity switches on the bullet/case tubes and powder measure to stop operation if any of them run low. Then build an enclosure for the PLC and display and find something else to tinker with.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Jimro

And here I thought tinkering was a hobby of us Lee owners. That is positively awesome.

Jimro

bullspotter

Ha Funny stuff, im working on a like project with a 650. I didnt use a PW drive kit though. Built the parts myself, running a bodine gear motor and controller set up.

I have motor stops on the clutch, primers, powder check, case feeder, bullet feeder, powder dispencer, ect, ive got 10 stations for stop switches.4 are on timer set ups. All have leds that trigger to tell me what switch caused the stop. My electronic set up is not as fancy as yours with the panel you have, but during testing, worked great.

So far the only real problem is the clutch, getting it tight enough to run pistol ammo... (9mm) and still be light enough to stop on a bind and not cause a breakage on the press is boarder line.

For sizing and trimming 223 brass, i really need to get agressive with a tight clutch so their is no slipping on the sizing of the brass. It will break and bend stuff for sure on a bind........

I also had to beef up some steel parts on the drive system, didnt realize how much pressure it really takes to size rifle brass. I didnt expect to see a 1/4 thick steel plate and a 3/4 thick steel rod bend 1/4 of an inch under the stress.....

I have 5 electronic controlled pass though clutches on order to try and make an electronic controlled clutch system. Sensors will activate clutch plates to give more clutch pressure in chosen areas of ram stroke then turn off when a small amount of clutch pressure is needed.

Dont know if it will all work as planned, but its a fun project for sure!!!