Completely unscientific mousegun test

ligonierbill

Or, why my wife doesn't like to leave me home alone. Got a thick membership directory in the mail that was headed for recycle, so why not...shoot some .32 ACP into it. All of these penetrated just over an inch, and the JHP went just as far as my favorite Buffalo Bore hardcast. Notice the JHP held together well. As expected they made a bigger hole, but I thought they would have shallower penetration. Shooting a P32.

Attachments

• Test 32 ammo.jpg
    Test 32 ammo.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 218

K_Mac

My only concern is if 1" of penetration is enough to stop a membership directory with malicious intent...:)

g.willikers

So, just for clarification, was this a test of the penetration of .32ACP ammo, or of the usefulness of thick directories, phone books and such for safe backstops?

SpareMag

Was this test conducted in a "Stand Your Ground" state? I don't want to look at anything which may be part of a future trial.

pelo801

Sounds about right for 32 auto. I've seen some 32 fmj stopped by 3 layers of Sheetrock. This was some 71 gr over 2.3 grs of 231.

Chowder

Interesting that the hard cast heavier bullet didn't penetrate more. Although it might in a softer substance. I know it is "not scientific" but nothing wrong with information as long as who ever is using the data understands the conditions of the test.

Yung.gunr

I love shooting phone books and recovering the projectiles. It's so interesting to see what they look like afterward. Did you soak your books first? I find that helps keep the mess down.

I didn't measure when I shot my 9mm into a phone book, but I feel confident that it we t through much more than an inch. I really don't feel it has any kind of real world penetration correlation though. So I wouldn't base any decisions on it (just my feelings, no proof to back it).

Sure is fun to shoot them though. Plus, what's else are you going to do with them? Use them pssshhh... I don't even understand why they still make them..

DE Shooter

I like soaking and shooting the old ph books too. I also like trying different materials in front of the books; like Tshirt, denim, windbreaker nylon, leather;...etc. It is all in fun and has no "show the world" meaning. But you do see various hollow pt loads affected by different materials.

psyfly

As long as we're not insisting on scientific...

Oh, what the heck, your science is as good as Algore's, I think.

A few years ago (okay, 20, maybe 25) I shot a yellow pages (3.5" or so) with my Mustang .380 and was surprised that the bullets went all the way through and out the other side.

I may stop carrying my NAA Guardian as often...

W.

Dragline45

I agree not the most scientific, but then again what's so scientific about wrapping denim around gel blocks or water jugs which you see online? Unless I am coming across Denim Dan the chance that I will come across anyone wearing a denim jacket is pretty slim. You would think a cotton shirt would be more realistic.

Sevens

Holy cow! Mine is the 20th post and in the first 19 posts, not one mention of "being well armed in the event I ever get attacked by a phone book!" :p

This crowd is slippin'! ;)