Complete Target 20" AR in 5.56/.223?

baddarryl

I am looking for a complete rifle solely for target work. I have no time or desire to build one. My goal is accuracy. Recommendations? Thanks.

Stag has its precision uppers on sale right now at an incredible price. Buy a complete lower to go with it and you’re in target territory for under $700

darkgael

I have used a Colt Match Target, an Hbar, for years. i use it solely for prone shooting at the local ranges. I have always been happy with the way it shoots....sometimes even happy with how I shoot with it. The only changes to the stock gun are that I floated the barrel and added an Elftman trigger and a NM rear sight. The goto load is a Sierra 77 gr. MK. and 24 grains of RL15 in Win. factory primed brass.
The current Colt AR15A4 is similar without the heavy barrel.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Without more specifics... any generic H-Bar AR would work. Spend the money on an aftermarket trigger. You didn't mention sight specifics (peeps or optic) so A2 or a flattop, either or. Just about everyone makes one, I have a Colt and it's fine, but I would be perfectly happy with a build from RRA, DD or one of the other better known builders.

baddarryl

OP here. Sorry to be vague guys. My main purpose in for what is known as Appleseed KD. I am an Appleseed Instructor in Training. KD locally is out to 400 yards and the qualifier is to shoot 4 MOA at that with a service rifle, and service ammunition standing, sitting, and prone while using a USGI sling only. I already have a Del Ton carbine AR, so I want to upgrade and concentrate on tightening those groups. Eventually I will work out to 600 and beyond, but probably not into High Power competition. Basically I just need an excuse for another rifle and want a quality target AR without breaking the bank. I do need optics and have those covered because I can't focus on the front sight of a Carbine length AR anymore.

COSteve

A great platform, especially if you want to shoot CMP matches is the irons only RRA National Match A2; HERE. If you want the same capability but also the ability to remove the rear sight and handle and add a scope, RRA's National Match A4 is a great choice; HERE.

Both come setup for target shooting with 20-inch, Air Gauged, Wylde Chambered, Heavy Match Stainless Steel, Cryogenically Treated, 1:8 Twist, free floated barrels as well as a National Match ½" x ½" hooded rear sight in a detachable National Match carrry handle, National Match 0.050" front sight post, National Match tuned trigger, and a host of other features to make for an excellent target rifle.

RRA guarantees ¾" at 100yds with match ammo which is great 'out of the box' accuracy. I've had my 2 RRA ARs, an Elite CAR A4 Mid-length carbine and Standard A4 rifle since 2004 and both are excellent ARs with terrific accuracy. With a 12x scope, I use my RRA Standard A4 rifle, along with my target 68grn handloads, to shoot medium sized apples at 400yrds.

baddarryl

A great platform, especially if you want to shoot CMP matches is the irons only RRA National Match A2; HERE. If you want the same capability but also the ability to remove the rear sight and handle and add a scope, RRA's National Match A4 is a great choice; HERE.

Both come setup for target shooting with 20-inch, Air Gauged, Wylde Chambered, Heavy Match Stainless Steel, Cryogenically Treated, 1:8 Twist, free floated barrels as well as a National Match ½" x ½" hooded rear sight in a detachable National Match carrry handle, National Match 0.050" front sight post, National Match tuned trigger, and a host of other features to make for an excellent target rifle.

RRA guarantees ¾" at 100yds with match ammo which is great 'out of the box' accuracy. I've had my 2 RRA ARs, an Elite CAR A4 Mid-length carbine and Standard A4 rifle since 2004 and both are excellent ARs with terrific accuracy. With a 12x scope, I use my RRA Standard A4 rifle, along with my target 68grn handloads, to shoot medium sized apples at 400yrds.
That is very much what I am thinking. I wonder what the iron sight radius is. I can still focus on my Garand's front sight, but not a carbine length AR. The last time I shot KD I had to leave in the middle to go get a scope! I would love to be able to do it with irons. There are CMP matches not far from here as well.

2ndtimer

While I am sure either of your recommendations would serve the OP well, they are listed at $500 to $600 OVER his stated budget. My suggestion from PSA would get him in the game below budget with room to add a better trigger.

baddarryl

OP here: I think I am going to go with one of those RR. I don’t believe I stated a budget as I have budgeted about $1500, but preferably less. I have searched many sites and those seem to be the off-the-shelf ticket. I may get into CMP service rifle so I am I think going to look for a National Match. I am not one to have different rifles for every purpose basically I want a carbine AR and a target AR. So if I’m gonna do it I might as well go full on NM.

jugornot

My RRA 24" bull barrel has posted a 4" group at 500 yards. It is also a good running gun that never balked at any of my hand loads including Sierra tipped Match Kings in 77 grains. This is its preferred load but I also load SMK 77 grain without the tip. The 500 yard group was tipped MKs. They are both loaded to mag length.

10-96

That RRA has pretty much the same pedigree as the Fulton Armory Peerless. I wonder how they stack up against each other? For being so close in price, I think I would personally go with Fulton. But that's just my opinion.

baddarryl

That RRA has pretty much the same pedigree as the Fulton Armory Peerless. I wonder how they stack up against each other? For being so close in price, I think I would personally go with Fulton. But that's just my opinion.
What makes you say the Fulton?

Last edited: