Competition in Alaska

HorseSoldier

I'm moving soon, and was wondering if anyone here on TFL has a good run down on competitive shooting in Alaska (Anchorage area, specifically). From what I've been able to find online, it sounds like there are some pretty active clubs doing IDPA and IPSC matches. I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information on that, and/or knows about any three gun or rifle/carbine events. Thanks for any information.

kraigwy

I spent 22 years in Alaska, most of that time was spent shooting for the Alaska National Guard Shooting teams.

During the summer there are at least 1 hp match a month, and winter there are small bore matches. There are several pistol matches, both combat and bullseye. If you're in the Anchorage Bowl you can find some sort of match dern near every weekend.

Google the Alaska State Rifle and Pistol Assn. Also chech the NRAs Comp Shooting mag (brain fart, cant think of the name), each month it list several matches in Alaska.

The Anchorage Bowl, is shooter friendly as far as compition shooting goes.
For public ranges you have the Rabbit Creek Range in south anchorage and the issac walton ranges in Birchwood. Both use to post the list of matches in the area. Lots of good gun stores in Anchorage Also.

If its big game hunting in Alaska you are gonna be disapointed. Its pretty much a rich man's sport anymore, you're gonna have to fly out unless you live in the bush. Fishing and duck/goose hunting is great though.

wyobohunter

"If its big game hunting in Alaska you are gonna be disapointed. Its pretty much a rich man's sport anymore, you're gonna have to fly out unless you live in the bush. Fishing and duck/goose hunting is great though."

This is mostly true. I miss Muley/Elk hunting in Wyo.

darkgael

NRA mag

As I recall, the NRA magazine is called "Shooting Sports". Yeah, a very complete list every month.
Pete

ChewToy

We have one USPSA type club here in Fairbanks and a few 22 leauges so there has to be atleast twice that in Anchorage.