Competition Handgun

Firepower!

Hi
In your opinion which is the most accurate competition handgun out there? I am hearing Sig x5 and x6 more then often these days. Whats the reality check on them as compared to some other industry leaders?

BigJimP

You're going to get a lot of pros and cons ....

I have an X-Five in .40S&W / and its a great gun ..../and I'm currently looking for another one in 9mm ( just for the heck of it ).

Is the X-Five better than a 1911 from Wilson Combat, 5", all stainless ... probably not ( at least not mine ) ..... 1" guarantee at 25 yards is hard to beat...

My Wilson Combat 1911's - are at least as good a gun / and accurate as my Sig X-Five...but I'm not a competitive shooter.

darkgael

Accuracy

Yeah, It would help to know what kind of shooting you are thinking about.
When I hear "competition" I think of Bullseye match shooting.
In that game the absolute best guns are from smiths who specialize in accurizing 1911s. A top shelf 1911 is expected to shoot ten rounds into the X-ring (1.6") at 50 yards. (from a ransom rest. Though there are shooters who have done it.) and then expected to do it again.
The gunsmith who did my Colt years ago gave me a gun that would do that (I can't; it can). Alas, George Madore passed away a few years ago.
Another Pennsylvania outfit, Mountain Competition, has built guns for Brian Zins and Dave Lang. They guarantee x-ring groups (or even better) at 50 yards. In their barrel testing segment, they are discussing groups of less than an inch at 50 yards with 1911s and Beretta 92s
http://www.mountaincompetitionpistols.com/index.html

Pete

Last edited:

EdInk

A 1911 variant is popular in pretty much any type of competition. The modifications vary depending on the type of competition. (Like others have said what type of competition?)

Also, the XdM is great if you want a striker fired pistol.

Peter M. Eick

Out of the box, for bullseye type shooting?

Sig 210. There are custom 1911's that can best it, but for a production gun, I have yet to see any that can take on my 210's.

Citizen Carrier

Last two years there has been a guy on vendor's row at Camp Perry during the National Matches with a display case full of Sig P210s.

I'm told he's there every year. I seem to remember them all being $2000+ in price.

kraigwy

Accurate???

Without a doubt that would be the Smith Model 52 WC gun, (maybe the 952, I never shot one of those)

Another that makes the list is the Model 41 Smith, or the High Standard "Victor".

The Cold series 70 Gold Cup is right up there also.

2700.jpg

FlyFish

My Walther GSP Expert came with a 5-shot test target shot at 25 meters - it's just one hole, not all that much larger than a single .22 would make. The importer of the GSPs claims it was shot offhand by someone in the factory who's job it is to do just that, but I just can't believe that story. Either way, the gun is phenomenally accurate (precise, really, but that's another issue).

Citizen Carrier

No, I meant the starting price, as far as I could remember was at $2000 for the low end fixed sight models.

I could swear I saw some for around $3500 and perhaps even more.

darkgael

Pardini

I have a Pardini Free pistol. Like the Hammerli, a marvelously accurate gun. ("not fun" to shoot? Who are you kidding? Accuracy is always fun. Free Pistols are, no doubt, the most accurate handguns.)
Wraparound olivewood grips, set trigger. Lets off at a clean two ounces.
IMG_0346.JPG

Pete

Last edited: