Compatible? Pro Auto-Disk and Classic Turret

Lost Sheep

I am ordering a Lee Classic Turret and wanted to get the Pro Autodisk (for it's superior powder hopper among other things) to use on press. One tcheck at Factory Sales (Lee's marketing arm) tell me the Pro will not work on the Classic Turret.

I also wanted to get the upgrade kit for one of my standard Auto-disk measures, but he said the same thing, "won't work".

Can anyone verify or debunk the notion?

I think it has something to do with needing to use the chain return mechanism instead of the spring, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks

Lost Sheep

ScottRiqui

I have the Lee Classic Turret along with the Pro Auto-disk. They work great together, although I needed the Lee riser to get the powder measure to clear the primer dispenser. If you prime off-the-press, I don't even think you'd need the riser.

Jim243

What??? I am afraid that guy does not know what he is talking about. I have used that combo for over 6 years. And I too have the upgrade kit, but prefer to use the Auto Disk. But both the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto-Disk work on ANY of Lee's presses as well as RCBS, Hornady's and Lymans (not sure about Lyman's)

If you are still unsure call Lee directly they can answer your question correctly. And yes you will need the riser to get the powder measure out of the way of the primer feed.

Jim

IMG_1292.jpg

Lost Sheep

That's what I thought

Thanks, Scottriqui and Jim243,

So, does the Pro Auto-Disk use the same sort of spring arrangement as the standard Auto-Disk (which is my guess)? and does that spring come with the Pro (in addition to the chain) or is it an extra?

The advice I got was from techsupport at Factorysales.com and I depended on their expertise to vett the equipment list for compatibility. So, they switched my Pro Autodisk for a standard Autodisk and cancelled my upgrade kit. It was my mistake not to specify that they should not ship until I approved the changes in the purchase order.

To correct what they did will be about $50, less the extra value of a standard Autodisk measure in which I have no interest. Well, live and learn. If Factorysales offers to make good, I will post it here.

I expect to receive the shipment at the end of this week, and with any luck, I will be able to inspect it this weekend and talk to them again on Monday or Tuesday, 8/9 or 8/10.

Thanks for your confirmations.

Lost Sheep

P.S.

Jim, I see that you have the micro-adjusting charge bar installed. Do you find that it holds a constant volume well? Easy to use and adjust or is the adjusting knob hard to reach or markings hard to read? I decided to get both the adjustable charge bar and the micro-disk to see which I preferred, but if you have any advice, I would welcome it.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer the standard Auto-Disk over the Pro? I may have to re-think asking Factorysales to fix their mistake. (They are shipping me the standard model Auto-Disk instead of the Pro that I requested.)

sonnycrockett

I have a pro autodisc on mine........I did not know there were even choices :rolleyes: I assumed that was all you could use.......I am thinking of adding a Lee Charge bar to it like pictured above........
Lee discs are not fine enough for me ......On a typical load I can get lets say
.71 disc gives me 5.4-5.5g
.78 disc gives me 6.0-6.2g
and there is no holes in between........

So if I want 5.7-5.8 It wont happen

doctruptwn

You need to call Lee sales and tell them to give their employee some remedial training. The Pro works great on the Turrnet and the Refit fit works great also. I even use mine without the riser. Hit the Auto primer a little but no big deal. The retro fit kit basically replaces all the parts but the bases assembly tha the tube fits on.

benzuncle

Sonny, the Charge Bar works well for those "in between" charges and is easliy tweaked (NOT tweeted! :eek:). However, it has been my experience that the Charge Bar does not meter well below 4gr. Some reloaders have also reamed out holes on in their disks to get them to throw a specific charge.

Lost Sheep

Second Question: Pro comes with spring and extra ("F") lever?

In my search for compatability information, I have gotten no answers from the businesses (or answers that make no sense).

Has anyone bought a Lee Pro Autodisk Powder Measure lately?

Does the Pro Autodisk come with an extra actuating lever and the return spring (lever is shaped like an "F" and uses a coil spring to return the measure to its rest position. The usual, installed lever is shaped like a "T" and has a pull-chain to return the measure to its rest position).

If the "F" lever is not included, then the Factory Sales tech might be right. If the "F" lever is not available and not usable on the Pro, then he is indeed correct and I may owe him an apology.

Does anyone know for sure?

Lost Sheep

ScottRiqui

I bought my Pro Auto-Disk only a few months ago. The "F"-shaped lever and its return coil spring were already assembled to the measure, and they're all you need to use it with the Lee Classic Turret (other than the riser, if you're priming on the press.)

It did also come with the "T"-shaped lever and return chain loose in the box, but I've never used them.

Last edited:

Lost Sheep

Thank you, Scott

That clinches it. Just because someone's email return says "techsupport" or "info" does not bestow anything.

From whom did you buy your measure, may I ask? Local, web, mailorder?

Lost Sheep

ScottRiqui

Just checked my receipts - I ordered it from Midway USA in early April of this year. I ordered the Lee Classic Turret (4-hole) at the same time.

Real Gun

My interpretation of the product description on the Lee website is that the Pro Powder measure comes with both types of disk return mechanisms. The report that one of the units came with the springs installed sounds right then, but there were parts included for the chain pull option used on the progressive models.

Mention of needing the die throat extension (riser) is not quite right. The "swivel adapter" is included with the Pro Powder measure and serves as the elevator for the powder measure. The heights are close, but the powder measure clears the dies and can be set in a position that just clears the primer tray on my 4-hole turret. I got that same adapter with the upgrade kit to add the Pro hopper to the basic Auto Disk model. I have the riser part from use of the AutoIndex model but found I didn't need it once having the swivel adapter.

ScottRiqui

Real Gun is correct - you don't have to use the riser with the Pro measure. I just went and checked on mine, and the measure clears both the dies and the primer without the riser. I did find it a little harder to get my fingers down in around the dies in order to tighten the measure's locknut, but it's workable.

If I had a dedicated Pro measure for each turret head, I'd probably skip the riser, but for $7, I think it makes it easier to move the measure from one turret head to another.

Jim243

Gezzz, I don't know where to start. OK, here goes.

1. The reason I don't use my Pro Conversion kit, is that I like the Standard Auto Disk unit, because it does not use a "wipe" and it holds less powder. It is plastic (base of the powder measure) to plastic (the disk or adjustable disk that I do use). The "wipe" is a small foam disk that sits at the bottom of the Pro Auto Disk resivior and between the disks. If you leave a disk in the powder measure with or without powder for any length (days, weeks, months) of time the foam compresses and needs to be changed out. With the type of reloading I do, all I have to do with the Auto Disk is set it and forget it, it is just that simple. With the Pro Auto Disk, I would have to remove the disk after each session to make sure the "wipe" did not get compressed and stayed fresh.

2. While the Pro Auto Disk holds twice as much powder (almost a pound)than the smaller Auto-Disk it comes in handy if you are reloading RIFLE becasue you are using more powder. I only use it when in a rush and I want to load up a lot of .223. I find that I use less than half the powder in the Auto-Disk during a reloading secession of 100 rounds of pistol ammo (5.6 grains of W231 at the most.) For .223 I use 25 grains or less of H335 or H4895 or recently IMR 8208. Different amounts needed. However to get the higher amount of powder into the case you have to use the "Double Disk" set on the powder measure, and yes I do have one and have used it and it works very well.

99.999999% of my reloading on the Lee Classic Turret press is for PISTOL and very seldom do I need more than 13 grains of powder and that would be for .357 mag. All the rest of my loads are between 3.8 grains and 7.8 grains of powder. (.380, 9mm, 38 spl, 357 mag, 357 Sig, 40 S&W and 45 ACP) Therefore, I always use the adjustable disk since I tune in my load to exactly what I want. I do not need to mess with the disk sets since I can adjust to EXACTLY (not even a 0.1 grain off) what I want to use. It will throw a charge 98 % of the time not even off 1/10 grain and since I never load to max the 2% that are 1/10 higher I do not even pay attention to. I still measure every 10th or 15th load just to make sure, but it has been a waste of time, I just do it for safety sake and always will.

Now rifle, I load completely different because of case prep, sizing, trimming, priming and for a powder measure I use a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and each round is not even 1/10 off. Different method of reloading and for that I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for my press.

But as to the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto-Disk they work great and save a lot of time on a Lee Classic Turret or any other of their presses including the 1000 and the Load Masters.

I have had mine working every week for the last 6 years without a problem, some day I will have to replace it just not sure when. But when it comes it will be replaced with another Lee Auto-Disk.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Just so you can see what I am talking about:

IMG_1215.jpg

Jim243

One thing I forgot to mention. Both the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto-Disk are automatic (spring operated) in dropping powder, but you need the powder through die for the caliber you are loading.

All the Lee pistol die sets (3 Die sets or 4 die sets) come with the "powder through" die for that caliber. The RGB sets do not (2 die set). And for rifle you will need the Universal Rifle Charging Die to work the auto drop function (only one die needed for rifle, UNIVERSAL).

Jim

The T bar and chain are for those of you that are using someone's else die sets and do not have the powder through dies, it attaches to the ram or shell holder and will drop the powder into the case and return the powder measure to it's oringinal position. (just don't ask me how, since I have never needed it).

Last edited:

mdemetz

My interpretation of the product description on the Lee website is that the Pro Powder measure comes with both types of disk return mechanisms. The report that one of the units came with the springs installed sounds right then, but there were parts included for the chain pull option used on the progressive models.

I think this is true if you by an Auto-Disk stand alone. If it comes in a progressive kit, I think it only comes with a return lever, and if you get it in a turret kit, it only comes with the spring.

I am ordering a Lee Classic Turret and wanted to get the Pro Autodisk (for it's superior powder hopper among other things) to use on press. One tcheck at Factory Sales (Lee's marketing arm) tell me the Pro will not work on the Classic Turret.

Maybe he had it confused with the Universal Charger for the Perfect Powder Measure. It will not work well with the turret press(no place to attach the return chain).

darkgael

Lee

I have three of the things. One lives on a Pro 1000 that is set for .45 ACP. Another goes on a press for .44 Magnum. The third is used on a Dillon 550B to load .45s on that press.

I see that you have the micro-adjusting charge bar installed.

Great little item. Easy to adjust, accurate, does not drift.
Pete

Real Gun

product description on the Lee website

Lee's website description indicates that both disk return mechanisms are included. It has already been reported here that a unit arrived with the spring installed and with the chain and lever option parts included. I don't think we need to keep questioning what at least SHOULD BE in the box.

It seems clear that the rep who said the unit was not compatible was incorrect.

As one who has both the AutoDisk and Pro version, I appreciated the tip about caring for the polymer wipe on the bottom of the Pro unit. I think what I might try is just easing off the torque on the brass finger nuts that secure the Pro hopper and snug down the fit on the charge bar or disk. Also, if using the chain, the disks are easy enough to remove without taking the hopper off. You release the chain, and that's all it takes. The spring tension version is more of a challege and would be where I might settle for loosening the hopper nuts.

Note that the Pro has a shutoff feature. There still would be a powder mess unless one did the shutoff and then ran enough cycles to run the mechanism dry of powder.

Dave R

The Classic Turret and Pro Autodisk is what I use for .223.

I still use my Uniflow powder measure for varmit loads where I'm trying to squeeze out the last bit of accuracy.