Comparison of bullet type hole in paper?

WhistlerSWE

I'm looking for a nice graphic of the typical hole made by the different types of bullet profiles.

It would be nice to have a paper target with the following shot in it:

RN
TC
HP
SWC
WC

I know there are more types, but these are the most common in competition where I am. Anyone know of images like this?

snuffy

The hole will be the caliber size that made it. The exception would be with a semi-wadcutter and full wadcutter, the hole would be much cleaner, less fuzz on the edges. This would matter if you're shooting bullseye type shooting. The clean holes are much easier to score.

Nate1778

I just looked at a target from yesterday, shot both a RNFP and a TC through it and for the life of me cannot tell the difference in the holes. I do agree with the above, the only real difference is going to be a RN vs anything with a Melplate. Going to be much cleaner holes.

Kyo

i can tell you semi wad cutter for my 45 make the holes rip apart at the edges and are bigger than just flat point full metal jackets. those go through and make a neat hole. the SWC make it obvious where they went through

WhistlerSWE

If it weren't for bullseye shooting (PPC in my case), why would I ask about how different bullets punch paper?

A RN makes an incredibly ugly hole, where the hole itself is small and the rest is just tears and cracks in the paper. A WC makes a fine and nice punch with a clean edge that is easy to score.

For educational purposes (for myself and others) it would be nice to see a clear side by side comparison.

Last edited:

LAH

OK Whistler I fired three different bullets from my 357, a jacketed hollow point [upper left], a Lyman 358429 [lower left], and a button nose wadcutter [lower right]. Hope this helps........Creeker

Picture433.jpg

LAH

Are those toast crumbs on that plate?

Shot those at the breakfast table. HEE HEE

What you can't see if off to the right I fired another button nose WC & was a little too close so it's residue from the powder/lube...............Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

Randy 1911

If you are looking for a clean hole, then a DEWC will be the cleanest. Mine leave a hole like I used a paper punch to cut it. The worst was a RN bullet. It looked like I used a pencil to make the hole. And you get the best holes when you use a cardboard backing for the target.