Comparison Between 995 Highpoint and 1894C Marlin

Adventurer 2

Semi-automatic 995 High Point MSRP $220, weight 7 lbs, length – 32 ½ “
Lever action Marlin 1894C MSRP $590, weight 6 lbs, length – 36”
The 1894C is longer than the 995.
MarlinHiPoint.jpg

The 995 is wider than the 1894C.
MarlinHiPoint1.jpg

The 995 has a peep rear sight and post front. I can pick up a target faster with a peep and in general shoot more accurately with a peep sight.
MarlinHiPoint4.jpg

The 1894C has a semi-buckhorn rear and bead front sight.
MarlinHiPoint3.jpg

The 995 holds 10 9 MM rounds in a single stack magazine. Fast reloads.
The 1894C holds 9 357 magnum rounds in a tubular magazine. Not so fast reloads.
120SomethingBullets.jpg

In my experience both the 995 and 1894C function without problems. 995 is lower priced, shorter in length, more effective sights, carries one more round, faster to fire and reload, but I still favor my 1894C (my favorite rifle).
More to follow...

MAX100

It makes no sense to compare two completely different rifles. Why not compare the 995 with the Beretta CX4 Storm, very similar rifles.

GC

Seancass

I'm waiting for some shooting and accuracy comparisons. And don't forget some kind of reactive target to compare the end results of the trigger pull.

Can't a guy just compare two of his rifles for the fun of it? Someday some poor kid with a high point is going to look at this and say "Boy, that Marlin sure compares favorably to my rifle, maybe i should check one out."

Dingoboyx

^ +1 Predator

Some of the real serious dudes in my CAS club shoot their leverguns so fast you'd swear they were semi-autos :eek: Sure they slick the mechanicals & trigger jobs etc, but still, awesome to watch :D

I have a Marlin 23" cowboy in 44 mag..... stock, no mods.... but I can still hose 10 through it pretty quick :D

olyinaz

>>>Some of the real serious dudes in my CAS club shoot their leverguns so fast you'd swear they were semi-autos<<<

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing.

And I agree that if a guy wants to post a comparo then good on 'im! I'd like to see targets and how they both group though.

Regards,
Oly

Adventurer 2

I like both of the carbines, but, I've always known my favorite is the 1894C. I thought I would compare the two because I own both and they are both pistol caliber carbines. Even though the 1894C is my favorite there are some aspects that I like better on the 995. I'd also like to provide a little more detail on both than what you might find on site. I think I keep reading forums searching for something I didn't know or think of.
Those CAS people are impressive. I am not a member but I watch it on OLN.

Adventurer 2

Neither trigger is an exceptional trigger.
BothTriggers.jpg

The 995 trigger wiggles side to side and is kind of thin.
995Trigger.jpg

The 1894C wiggles in all directions, all of the time. I have to show and warn people to remove their finger from the trigger guard when ejecting and loading another bullet, otherwise they will smash their finger. I like the 1894C trigger over the 995 because it is a wider trigger.
MarlinTrigger.jpg

Adventurer 2

Each target was shot five times from a distance of 25 yards using a sandbag for a front rest. Both five shot groups are under an inch.
MarlinHighpointx.jpg

The 995 group is on the left - four holes touching and one that is slightly off (my fault). It is easy to pick up the same exact point of aim by placing the front sight post just under the point I am shooting at.
995Post.jpg

The 1894C group is on the right - here is my problem with the 1894C sights:
MarlinV.jpg

MarlinBead.jpg

The front bead dropped in the rear notch and placed over the target. The bead is large enough to cover the point of aim - so I just do my best in placement. My 1894C groups are seldom as tight as the 995 groups. As mentioned above I could replace the sights. I have heard the Williams peep hangs of the end of the receiver - someday if I could see the sights mounted in person, I would feel better about ordering replacement sights.

Adventurer 2

Recoil between the two is not a factor, either could be shot all day without punishment. I used commercial ammo of similiar weight that I had on hand.

Federal 125 grain .357 JSP - chronographed at 2155 fps.
Federal 124 grain 9 mm FMJ - chronographed at 1269 fps.

The .357 2155 is significantly faster than my handloads, which for 125 grain clocks just over 1900 fps. I have leeway to go higher in velocity on my handloads as I am not a the max level per the book.

The 9 mm isn't close to the .357 in velocity. Just for a comparison - the 124 Federal 124 grain 9mm FMJ chrono'd at 1114 fps in my Beretta 92FS.

chris in va

The 9mm out of a carbine is awfully darn close to 357 velocities out of a handgun however.

Try using a red dot on that HiPoint. Really transforms the little gun.

tube_ee

Not really...

The 9mm out of a carbine is awfully darn close to 357 velocities out of a handgun however.

That load's probably doing at least 1500 out of a 4" sixgun. Maybe more. I know that a max load of H110 under a Sierra 125 clocks ~1600 out of a 4". ~1700 from a 6". and over 2200 out of my Marlin.

The 9x19 case is just too short to allow the kinds of loads (lots of slow powder) that would really optimize it out of a rifle barrel. So ease of shooting is really the only reason to put it in a carbine. Perhaps experimenting with slower powders than are normal for the 9x19 might yield results, but that's a project for an expert handloader... if your response to that idea is "yeah... no problem!"... don't do it, you're not qualified.

A 9x19 semi-auto carbine might be a fun plinking/varmint gun, and I'd certainly never diss anyone for wanting one. But don't expect the kind of "whole new world" performance gains that you can get with magnum revolver cartridges in rifles.

--Shannon

Adventurer 2

I would like that Bushman trigger.
I respect the 9 mm for defense in a hollowpoint.
I enjoy the 1894C capabilities from bunnies to deer (within my range).