Comparing Recoil...

allenomics

Using identical rounds of ammo, can you help me compare the difference in recoil between 9mm pistols? Besides ammo, my only other point of reference is my Glock 19 that's equipped with a 4.02" barrel. Thank you.

JDG

Well... My G19 kicks harder than my CZ75, but no where near as hard as my P11:D The heavier the weapon, the lighter the recoil with like ammo.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Recoil as a mathematical quantity can be calculated, and JDG is right.

Recoil as a sensation is subjective and depends on many things that can not be calculated.

For example, I find a Beretta 92FS to be a very light recoiling 9mm. However I once let a person with very small hands fire a Beretta 92FS I owned at the time and it broke a blood vessel in her thumb knuckle. The grip fit her badly so she was unable to grip the pistol properly. As a result its very light recoil was enough to cause her pain--even physical damage. She would tell you that a Beretta 92FS has severe recoil if you asked her.

On the other hand, this same person owns a S&W Ladysmith .38SPL revolver. I shot it a few times and frankly I hate the little monster. It torqued in my hand and was NOT fun to shoot. She likes the small revolver and had no problems shooting it even though in my opinion the recoil was unpleasant.

So, which gun recoils more, the Beretta 92FS or the Ladysmith .38 spl?

Lou22

I believe there are other factors involved as well. I own a Kahr PM9 autoloader, which I believe weighs about 14oz, and has a polymer frame. I also have a Taurus 905 9mm all-steel revolver that weighs about 24oz. Even though the revolver weighs much more, it has a heftier recoil than the Kahr, with the same loads. I believe the Kahr, having a polymer frame and locked breech design, soaks up alot of the recoil. I've shot +P+ loads in it with no pain and very good accuracy. I can't stand to shoot more than a cylinder or so in the Taurus as it really makes the palm of my hand sting.

Lou

IM_Lugger

not that easy

bore axis also plays a big role; guns with high bore exis will have more flip where low bore axis guns will recoil as a straight push.