Comparing my Polymer Pistols

jar

I do not like the GLOCKs, not because they are in anyway inferior, but because GLOCKs use such a strange grip angle. When shooting a GLOCK I always feel that I have to aim down and to the right to be on target. I realize that is very subjective, just doesn't feel right for me.

Right now I have three different 9mm polymer guns, a SiGPro 2009, a Gen 1 HS2000 and a Star UltraStar. My favorite is the STAR UltraStar. IMHO, the UltraStar may well be the best Compact 9mm steel, alloy or polymer framed pistol period. I am continually amazed by how nice this relatively unknown pistol is.

The HS2000 (now sold by SA as their XD) is slightly larger than the STAR. It's fast, accurate and has been totally reliable. I installed PT night sights, blue front, green rear. It has had many thousands of rounds through it and has yet to malfunction.

The SiGPro is about the same size as the HS2000. In many ways it is SiG. It is accurate, reliable and has a great trigger. I don't like the changes SiG made on takedown. On the SiGPro line you push out the slide lock lever, similar to what you do on an HP or on the STAR. But it does not have a separate way to lock the slide back as on the HPs and you can't just push the slide retention pin out as you can with the STAR.

So, of the ones I have I'd rate the STAR #1, the HS2000 #2 and the SiGPro as #3. The funny part is that the STAR was the least expensive, the HS2000 next and the SiGPro the most expensive of the group.

In this picture the SiGPro 2009 is on the top, the STAR on bottom.

standard.jpg

Here is the HS2000 (top) next to a SiGPro.

standard.jpg

Here is a view of the working end of the SiGPro (left) and my STAR. Notice how much lower the STAR barrel is. Also, note that the slide on the STAR rides inside the frame instead of the more common, slide over frame.

standard.jpg

Finally, a closer look at the STAR UltraStar.

standard.jpg

November

Great comparison pictures! Does the Star have cocked and locked capability? What is the mag capacity on the Star? If you don't mind, what did you pay for each pistol? Thanks.

jar

The STAR is a DA/SA so no cocked and locked. But I normally use the safety as a decocker only and then carry it as I would a SiG.

The STAR is a single stack 9 + 1 capacity. The SiG and the HS2K are 10 +1 (but high cap mags are readily available). Peresonally, I think all the fuzz about mag capacity is silly. That's the last thing I'd worry about. I would never base a gun selection on mag capacity, it's just a non-issue.

Marko Kloos

The Ultrastar is kind of neat, but one thing that bugs me about it is the grip width. The grip is wide enough to accomodate a double-stack magazine, yet the Ultrastar only has a 9-round single stack mag. The main benefit of a single stack design is supposed to be the ability to reduce the grip width.

Kat

Pardon my Ignorance but...

I've heard of lot of unusual polymer pistols, but this is the first I've heard of a poly Star. What's the history on Star? Why aren't they selling like hotcakes like Glock, XD & P99 if they're so good?

There must be a catch, like it's an orphan with no factory support because they're out of business or someting like that.... :)

BigMike

Jar,

I remember shooting a Star 9mm when they first came out(@8 years ago??) at a range in Puyallup, WA. I remember thinking it was a pretty good gun, light accurate, but I was wanting a hicap wundernine at the time and bought a Glock. I'm no longer focused on capacity now as much as I am comfort and concealability. Mike

jar

Kat

STAR was always a relatively high priced and low volume pistol. When the US went nuts on new rules and regs, STAR took a look at their US sales and decided the US just wasn't a big enough market to justify all the hoops. So they, like ASTRA, pulled out. It's too bad because they built many really wonderful pistols. Their pistols are super accurate, reliable, with great pointability.

Check out this review of another STAR model. it was written by Stephen Camp and gives some additional info. STAR Model BM