Comparing a Few 32's

tallball

I took three of my 32acp's to the range today: my Colt 1903, my CZ70, and my Beretta Tomcat. I had never shot the Colt before.

I shot about 20 rounds through each of them, a mixture of different FMJ (around 71 grains): Remington, Blazer, Aguilar, and Fiocchi. There were zero malfunctions. Some shots were standing, some kneeling, some rapid fire, some slow. I usually shot in groups of five and tried to adjust POA in between groups. Usually the very first round or two was way off as I adjusted my extra-large hands and middle-aged eyes to the pistol. Let's please pretend that I shot these from farther away than seven yards. As you can see, I am a poor shot. :)

The Colt was easy to shoot. The way that the rear of the grip is shaped makes it all but impossible for me to hold it in such a way that my thumb would get whacked by the slide. Recoil felt gentle, the softest I've felt in a 32acp - probably due to the locked breech. The sights are small, but not terrible. It is a little bit small for my hand, but not too bad. With some practice I expect to be pretty good with this pistol some day.

I don't care for the CZ70. I bought it to replace the FEG that my MiL wanted so badly. I should have kept looking until I found another FEG. It's just something about the shape. My hand wants to hold it in such a way that the joint at the base of my thumb gets whacked by... something. It might be the decocker instead of the slide, but something whacks my thumb in ways that don't feel good. When I alter my grip enough it's not painful to shoot, but my thumb keeps thinking it's going to get whacked again anyway. The recoil is more noticeable than the Colt. This one just isn't shaped right for me.

The Beretta isn't bad. Its grip is thicker than you would expect. I only got whacked by the slide once. It's a little surprising that I can shoot this thing almost decently, since it is way too small for my hand. It's not fun to shoot like a 22 target pistol, but it doesn't hurt and I can group up my shots a bit once I get used to it. The recoil isn't much. The pistol is small, but heavy enough to absorb most of the recoil.

These are plinkers. My wife and daughter and MiL will shoot them more than anyone. I think that with the Colt I will finally have a semi-auto 32acp that all of them will enjoy shooting.

Last edited:

tallball

Colt%20target_zpsko1e8ppu.jpg

This little Colt is fun to shoot. :)

PSP

A nice.32 is a lot of fun at the range. I looked hard at a CZ at the gun show yesterday but passed for no particular reason other than "too much candy in the candy store" that day.

My favorite .32 is the CZ83 and Sig P232. These both feel nice in the hand and have good sights and trigger. Lots of easy shooting in these two.

I have a Walther PP, which is a fine gun, but the sights are not old-eye friendly.

A good .32 is well worth having. :cool:

Whirlwind06

Is that a decocker on the CZ? The only .32 I have shot is the Kel tec compared to my .380 it was much more accurate. Plus a lot easier the control.

BigG

I have a similar Colt and also a Browning 380 from 1968. Both are keepers. Also have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380 that I also like a lot.
Browning3801_zps985d37f4.jpg

Sid

I love shooting these old single stack .32's. They are just a lot of fun to shoot and that is sufficient reason for me. I used to have a collection of them but now have only three. They are a First Model 1903 Colt, a 1935 Beretta, and a CZ 27. The Colt is the best of the bunch in most aspects. It is accurate, feeds all of my reloads, and is built like a tank. The Beretta and CZ are also well made but are a little more finicky when it comes to ammo. With these I use Fiocchi which is the most powerful .32 ACP load that is commercially available.

Limnophile

Interesting post.

I have a CZ 83 chambered in .32 Auto. It is fun to shoot. I'd like to get a pocket pistol, so I have no excuse for ever leaving home without carrying. I like the idea of Beretta Tomcat, but they are no longer made and the prices of used ones are outrageous.

tallball

Thank you for the nice responses. This is a fun caliber. And my FiL reloads it. :)

I got the Tomcat used for $300. I just kept haunting Gunbroker until the price was right.

That Browning is a purty one.

ligonierbill

I have a few old 32's. The interesting thing is that a lot of them in the era of the Colt 1903 were single action. The Colt has that grip safety and so is pretty "safe". The others have a wimpy safety, including a push button spring loaded deal. Fun, but I wouldn't carry one. I think my favorite is the Savage 1907. Ah well, spring is coming and the range will be open.

tallball

WW - the CZ has a three position lever: safe, fire, and decock.

The nice CZ70's were $200. I paid $250 for a premium one that looked unfired and came with accessories.

Ibmikey

The CZ 50 & 70 pistols are easy shooters because of their weight and poor CC guns for that same reason. A larger caliber pistol with lighter weight would make more sense however the CZ is a well made pistol that is accurate and reliable. I do not care for the decocker location as it is "unusual" compared to position and operation of comparable pistols, I do not shoot my 50 & 70 pistols enough to find the decocker natural.

Limnophile

Although the CZ 50/70 was primarily used as a police sidearm and carried openly, 25 oz is not too heavy for concealed carry. In fact, the slim profile of the pistol (I've never seen a width spec, but it looks narrow and how thick can a single-stack .32 Auto be?) makes it great for concealed carry, if you don't mind the small caliber and low capacity. The only reason I haven't picked one up is because its funky safety is totally different than that on my other compact CZs. I don't object to the decocker function, but pushing down for safe makes no sense to my thumb.